• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Don
It's definitely been increasing though, I think it was around 10GB before I installed anything.

What Is Other Storage Space on PS5?
If you head to the Storage section of the PS5 Settings menu, you'll see a breakdown of the type of files being used by your SSD. They are divided into the following categories: Games and Apps, Media Gallery, Saved Data, and Other. While the first three are fairly self-explanatory, the latter can inexplicably explode in size depending on how you're using the console

Here's what Sony describes Other storage space as:

This storage space is reserved for system data needed for games and apps to work properly. The amount of space reserved depends on how your console is being used.

Not particularly enlightening, then. Based on our experiments thus far, we think that this is related to backwards compatibility, although other system settings do appear to affect it as well. In addition to this, it may be impossible to entirely eliminate Other storage space, because it appears this is where metadata about your games is stored — it almost certainly scales with how much content you have on your console. As part of our PS5 guide, we're going to explain some steps you can take to minimise this number.

Not massively helpful

Soldato
My tracking has updated to say its out for delivery again. Yodel really need to get more concise tracking updates, you can't say something was delivered if it wasn't.

Caporegime
My tracking has updated to say its out for delivery again. Yodel really need to get more concise tracking updates, you can't say something was delivered if it wasn't.

Hopefully you get it. Wonder if the driver had a crisis of conscience "and found" the parcel after a conversation with their boss?

Soldato
Has anyone else got a rather large amount of space used by "Other" on theirs? Currently I have 4 games installed - Astro, Dirt 5, Spiderman and Sackboy. I've not even played Spiderman or Sackboy yet, but my "Other" is 43GB. I'm more concerned about that creeping up in future rather than the size of the actual game installs because you can't manage anything to do with it.

Do the trophy achievement videos count in Media Gallery or Other? By default the PS5 will take a screenshot and a video every time you get a trophy.

Soldato
Hopefully you get it. Wonder if the driver had a crisis of conscience "and found" the parcel after a conversation with their boss?

I suppose I should give them the benefit of doubt and they ran out of time yesterday, it's my understanding you cant drive more than 8h for a courier job? They only started at 13.00 so that would tie in with the time it said mine was 'delivered'

All it took was an update on the tracking to say we apologise but the driver ran out of time, your parcel will be delivered tomorrow.

69 stops until me, yesterday it was 154 and first drop started at 13.00.

Soldato
I wouldn't be surprised if this has made amazon higher ups **** the bed and put extra security in place.

This is a ******* PR disaster for them.

Sometimes driver can't find the package in the van, so to save time they pretend to deliver to hit their targets and come back later when they have found it.
That password system would stop them doing this and potential theft.

Associate
Heres a guide to the ps5 usb ports.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/hardware/ps5-usb-ports-guide/

USB storage should be connected to a Superspeed USB port. It is recommended that you connect PS5 extended storage to the USB Type-C port on the front of your PS5 console. The USB Type-A ports on the back of your PS5 console can also support extended storage.

USB storage is not compatible with the USB Type-A port on the front of a PS5 console.

Associate
I suppose I should give them the benefit of doubt and they ran out of time yesterday, it's my understanding you cant drive more than 8h for a courier job? They only started at 13.00 so that would tie in with the time it said mine was 'delivered'

All it took was an update on the tracking to say we apologise but the driver ran out of time, your parcel will be delivered tomorrow.

69 stops until me, yesterday it was 154 and first drop started at 13.00.

I work in a Transport department (not delivering parcels mind), and one delivery driver rang me in a panic as he was running out of time for my delivery and would he mind if he signed off delivery now but he'd be with me in 5 mins as he'd be heavily fined. I feel for these guys, a real thankless task and I don't envy them. Not to mention unachievable targets and presumably highly stressful trying to get everything done.

These parcel companies models force drivers to speed and break the law, it's all "get it out and delivered NOW! or you face being fined"... no way you'd get me doing that job.

That said, my PS5 arrived around 4pm, and I could have lynched the guy :D

Soldato

USB storage should be connected to a Superspeed USB port. It is recommended that you connect PS5 extended storage to the USB Type-C port on the front of your PS5 console. The USB Type-A ports on the back of your PS5 console can also support extended storage.

USB storage is not compatible with the USB Type-A port on the front of a PS5 console.

Thanks, figured that out yesterday but wasn't sure which was which.

Soldato
I work in a Transport department (not delivering parcels mind), and one delivery driver rang me in a panic as he was running out of time for my delivery and would he mind if he signed off delivery now but he'd be with me in 5 mins as he'd be heavily fined. I feel for these guys, a real thankless task and I don't envy them. Not to mention unachievable targets and presumably highly stressful trying to get everything done.

These parcel companies models force drivers to speed and break the law, it's all "get it out and delivered NOW! or you face being fined"... no way you'd get me doing that job.

That said, my PS5 arrived around 4pm, and I could have lynched the guy :D

Yep that's why I remained very polite when raising the issues as well. Shouting and being rude doesn't help. I cannot see how that driver was supposed to do the 164 odd drops yesterday, as soon as I saw I was like 154 in the queue I questioned it. They were still over 120 4 hours into shift. in your situation at least they communicated, it's key in things like that.

Amen to that.

My yodel driver is on stop 1 of 199, only 114 stops away...

Fingers crossed we will both be playing this weekend. Next anxiety, is it in one piece and will it be a noisy one..

Soldato
Do the trophy achievement videos count in Media Gallery or Other? By default the PS5 will take a screenshot and a video every time you get a trophy.

Nope they're under media gallery. I made sure I turned videos off :)

Mate of mine just got shafted by Amazon. His PS5 was at a nearby Amazon warehouse yesterday but was never sent out for delivery. This morning it was updated with an undeliverable message saying that it was being returned and he'll be refunded. Wonder what went wrong there.

Soldato

if you click through to this page it specifically says to use a port on the back to format it lol

Soldato
This "other" storage issue, I'd imagine some of it will be from the default screen shot and video capture every time you do what feels like anything! In a game.

This can be changed in settings on the system. I've turned the video capture off myself.

Back
Top Bottom