Poll: *** The official 2020 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

What 2020 Apple Silicon notebook have you ordered?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 72 71.3%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 29 28.7%

• Total voters
Soldato

It would be 14% if the Air had a fan and wasn't thermal throttling, but it's significantly less in reality. I'm expecting both 7 and 8 cores to fill up the thermal capacity it's on the Air if people are gaming for more than 10 minutes, so actually, there can be no noticeable difference at all. Whether 7 cores at slightly higher clocks or 8 cores at lower clocks, both producing similar levels of heat which becomes the bottleneck.

Soldato
I'm not an Apple person, I've tried 2 iPhones and never really liked them, but I do have a iPad Pro, I had the original iPad and a couple of others over the years, as I think that's by far and away the best tablet experience for me. I've never tried a Mac OS device but for some reason the M1 Macbook Air does intrigue me.

Commissario
OP
I've never tried a Mac OS device but for some reason the M1 Macbook Air does intrigue me.
The Apple fourteen day return is ideal for you - If you're in the market for a laptop and are prepared to give it a try then you have the safety of knowing you can return it for a full refund if you're not happy for up to a fortnight.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
The Apple fourteen day return is ideal for you - If you're in the market for a laptop and are prepared to give it a try then you have the safety of knowing you can return it for a full refund if you're not happy for up to a fortnight.

Even longer at the moment due to the extended holiday returns.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/help/returns_refund

Christmas Returns Policy
Items purchased at the Apple Online Store that are received between 10 November and 25 December 2020 may be returned up to 8 January 2021. Please note that all other terms and conditions provided in the Apple Online Store Sales and Refunds Policy are still applicable with respect to such items purchased. All purchases made after 25 December 2020 are subject to the Standard Returns Policy.

Soldato

Even longer at the moment due to the extended holiday returns.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/help/returns_refund

Cheers gents. I’m watching videos on YouTube but I take these initial reviews with a pinch of salt as I expect they’re in the hands of Apple types anyway. I’ll keep an eye on this forum and look for reviews from non Apple people.

Soldato
Cheers gents. I’m watching videos on YouTube but I take these initial reviews with a pinch of salt as I expect they’re in the hands of Apple types anyway. I’ll keep an eye on this forum and look for reviews from non Apple people.
I see what your saying but benchmarks wise you can't really fake them. In terms of reliability, app support and so forth there is nobody that has had the device long enough to say.

I am in a similar boat to you, never had a MacOS device but very tempted by one of these. As I type this post I am looking at a rats nest of cables and my big old fractal case on the floor and I could throw that in a cupboard, get it connected to the network and then have a lovely looking slab of macbook on my desk and then just RDP/SSH etc to my desktop for any work I need. I live inside Google Chrome and play football manager so I don't need anything too powerful day to day!

Permabanned

They are brilliant, the only hurdle you face is if you like MacOS itself, the rest is a no brainer.

Soldato
This article is also worth a read - if you're wondering what the base spec is capable of:

https://9to5mac.com/2020/11/18/opinion-is-the-base-macbook-air-m1-8gb-powerful-enough-for-you/

Would be interesting for the same test to be carried out on the Pro - would the fans kick in and allow it to carry on?

Staggering the performance which can be had for a fraction of the price. The other half picked up a MBA base spec today and truly amazed on the performance, battery, build quality. Certainly ticks all the boxes and it’s good to see a real life comparison, especially in relation to how the 8GB fairs. Quite tempted by one myself :eek:

Back
Top Bottom