New Case with 5.25" bay

Associate
Following on from other thread in the upgrade advice forum:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/looking-to-upgrade-after-many-many-years.18898318/

I've decided to keep my old system in it's old CM690 case so that my young son can use it for general computing work.

This means I need to buy a new case for my new system. The one complication is I want a case into which I can install my existing Bluray writer drive, as I still use it to burn family videos.

The system I'm looking to build is as follows:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (may look at 5600X or 3700X if there are any deals)
CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo White CPU Cooler - 2 x 120mm
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
RAM: Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit
SSD: 1 x WD Blue SN550 1TB NVME M.2 2280
HDD: 2 x Seagate 2TB 7200 Sata drives
Optical Drive: LG Bluray RW Drive Sata
PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 750W '80 Plus Gold
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Super

It's taking me up to my intended budget, so I'd rather not spend a huge amount on a case, ideally £50-60.
I don't want RGB and am not bothered about glass windows etc, just need a good value case with good cooling that can accommodate the optical drive.

Can you give me some recommendations?

Soldato
Honestly for that money I would go second hand. Pick up a Corsair Obsidian or similar that had a tons of room and plenty of optical drive bays.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply.

So it looks like I’m being a bit unrealistic to get a new decent case for that budget.
So I think I’ll throw a bit more money at it.
I like the look of the Phanteks Enthoo Pro, which can be had for about £85.
The case is a bit old now, but it suits my needs, what are people’s thoughts on that case?

it comes with 2 fans pre-installed, are they enough?
Or should I look to add more fans in my build?

Associate
fractal design XLR2 - its what I have, it is a very large case though, wouldn't mind something smaller myself.

Man of Honour
I can't start a private conversation with you either. If OCUK's mod is watching this, please help us!
Not a mod...but...
PM function is not available on this forum. You will need to enable "Trust", which is the closest thing to a PM function. Any message sent via trust will be delivered to your email.

Associate
Some of the new Phanteks allows for a bay to be installed on the top right of the case, sacrificing rad/fan space, and the odd opening the side window every time you need to use the optical drive.
Best bet, unless you use the optical drive a lot, would be some USB one. Easy to keep around, and would allow you to get any case available.
But if you really want to use an internal one, second hand is the way to go, or some not so recent but still available case, like Corsair Carbide Air 540, or going M-ATX would be more options, as part of the HTPC public (who don't want/need to go smaller) would still use an optical drive.

Back
Top Bottom