When to put up Christmas lights ?

Associate
After all the grimness of this year I've decided for the first time to put some Christmas lights up on the outside of the house - a bit of light and cheer.

When do people turn on their outside Christmas lights ?

Soldato
My wife's birthday is the 3rd December, so we use that as a handy dividing line - not allowed to start Christmas until her birthday is done.

We usually put up lights the weekend afterwards. Until last year we never did external stuff, but we did get a line of icicle LED ones for over the garage last year, since I can easily put them up without taking my life in my hands.

Soldato
Really don't understand people moaning about people putting their Christmas lights up early :confused:

Crack on - We need a bit of light in this country at the moment :p

Man of Honour
Last week of November they used to start appearing on the street I used to live on - dunno around where I live now - didn't really notice when they started to appear last Christmas.

Caporegime
Used to have a neighbour that would put them up in early September and the phone the local news to tell them that "someone" in the area had their lights up. :rolleyes:

Wouldnt have minded if they looked decent, but the display was like someone had plastered a wall with glue and threw decorations and lights at it.

Soldato
whenever you want. don't follow convention just because you think you have to. wanna put them up in october, go for it. following what the masses do is boring.

See, I think it would be more boring if people decided to celebrate Christmas at all times of year. Surely it's nicer and more exciting if everyone comes together to celebrate?

Soldato
See, I think it would be more boring if people decided to celebrate Christmas at all times of year. Surely it's nicer and more exciting if everyone comes together to celebrate?
come together and celebrate christmas at christmas time for sure if that makes it special and exciting for you but why does it stop being nicer and more exciting for you because someone wanted to put their lights up a bit early to make it nicer and exciting for them a bit earlier?? no ones talking about celebrating christmas at all times of the year though, we're talking about putting the decorations up.
if it cheers someone up to bung their lights and tree up in October why should anyone else get knicker twisted over that (i'm not suggesting you personally are - my post was more aimed at those who do)
why does the op feel he needs to ask when is it ok to put up their decorations? it should be ok whenever they want to.

wanna put them up in July? have at it, it'll make the person putting them up happy and it'll for sure give plenty of others a laugh and the only ones to not get any pleasure out of it will be the perennially annoyed curtain twitchers, who lets be honest, don't matter a ****.

Back
Top Bottom