Has anyone worn their SSD down to 0%

Soldato
Don't think i got it down to 0%, but my first 32/64GB SSD did get worn down to about 7% from what i remembered, and then it became pretty much unusable. So might not have even been possible to get down to 0.

Associate
I still have a 120GB mushkin chronos in my laptop, installed sometime in 2010/2011 I think, in use daily, it's TEC date is in 2022 and is showing as 94% in SSDLife program, can't ever remember anyone showing me a picture of one showing really low life expectancy percentage wise

and yes, I am considering changing it, mainly because as suggested, I need more space and will probably put a 512GB 860 Pro in there, and while i'm at it i'll probably swap the 750 seagate hybrid I have as a storage drive in it for a 1TB evo plus

Man of Honour
I wore out some Patriot ones years back (32GB) but they were rubbish from the start, OCZ as above ones don't have a great track record.

My main OS drive on my gaming PC is a Samsung 840 Evo that is around 7 years old and I've only put around 30TB of writes on it vs an average lifespan of about 270TB and half of those writes were in the first year due to heavy use of video recording (moved that to another drive since).

Associate
Yeh my ocz one completely crapped out recently. It starts with small stalls then basically acts like a HDD trying to seek. That's when you know it goes in the bin

Exactly what both of mine did. Event Viewer showed that Windows was hanging due to a system file being inaccessible / slow to access.

Soldato
My old OCZ vertex 2 60GB was still going going fine in a family members pc as a boot drive. Swapped it out about a month ago for a larger drive, but it was still working fine before it was changed.

Associate
Now that SSD's have been about for years has anyone managed wear one out? :)

I've worn a few out - consumer grade drives used as cheap SSD option with server / VM hosting company (large european host). Mostly 512G-1T parts in striped raid config.

I generally see problems at about 60-80% and above lifetime usage in smartmon, often earlier. Nasty problems too, no immediate smartmon alerts but random corruption in DB datasets. You'll often get already heavily used consumer grade SSD's in such hosting scenarios.

If you have important data that you definitely don't want to lose or keep around for a long time, consumer SSD / NVME are totally the wrong choice.

Soldato
Still have a 64GB drive in our media server, used every day....

64gb.jpg

my OCZ Vertex 2e (or just Vertex IIRC) 60GB packed in with both the red and green diode constantly lit on the back of the drive. IIRC it was noted as some sort of panic mode, about right as that is indeed what I did when it hosed my OS.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom