Toyota Yaris GR4 4x4 Rally going into production.....

Soldato
Just phoned my local dealership.

"Hi sir yes, we have sold a few already"
"Great can you let me know when you think you'll have a demonstrator in so I can have a good look after lockdown with a view to placing an order"
"No idea when we will have one and if you'd like to book a test drive you have to go through the Toyota website"

Get on the website to the test drive section and there is no option for the GR Yaris to book at all. They do make it hard to spend money sometimes.
I know someone who’s ordered from the Rayleigh, Essex dealer if that’s any use to you. Think all demonstrators are arriving basically now, with test drives once lockdown is lifted.

Associate
I know someone who’s ordered from the Rayleigh, Essex dealer if that’s any use to you. Think all demonstrators are arriving basically now, with test drives once lockdown is lifted.

Thanks for the heads up.

I am down in Ashford, i'd like to think one of the dealers around me should have one :D

Soldato
Toyota are saying £269 per month for the standard spec. That seems really cheap for a car like this. Less than a crappy 1 series.

OFC if you want to actually OWN it at the end, it's still quite expensive for a Yaris :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What engine is this the ? I keep seeing mention of tuning it, is there options already? Anything over 300bhp on a 1.6 triple strikes me as pretty high!

Aftermarket tuning is likely to be a slow burn with the GR4.

Very few of the usual suspects do much of anything with Modern Toyota ECUs, and they tend to be fairly unique in terms of processor compared to the likes of Subaru/Nissan etc.

Manufacturers and suppliers have been going quite extreme on making it difficult. Bosch rolled out changes in Q2 to some very low level code which has rendered Supra's amongst other things currently untunable

Man of Honour
WRX is synonymous with World Rallycross, not exclusively to Subaru, who just happened to homologate an Impreza with WRX in the name, so no, it's not associated solely with Subaru.

There were some WRC plates but none that brought in the GR name, so WRX was the next best thing.
World Rallycross didn't exist when the Impreza WRX was around. WRX is solely associated with Subaru, I've never heard of it being used by anybody else.

WRC is a different matter.

Soldato
Aftermarket tuning is likely to be a slow burn with the GR4.

Very few of the usual suspects do much of anything with Modern Toyota ECUs, and they tend to be fairly unique in terms of processor compared to the likes of Subaru/Nissan etc.

Manufacturers and suppliers have been going quite extreme on making it difficult. Bosch rolled out changes in Q2 to some very low level code which has rendered Supra's amongst other things currently untunable

The pen pushers like to think they own the ECUs inside people's cars and have a thing about 3rd parties messing with it.

OFC there isn't much they can do it about it in reality. If the demand is high enough it will get cracked eventually and people are allowed by law to tinker with it.

Soldato
WRX is synonymous with World Rallycross, not exclusively to Subaru, who just happened to homologate an Impreza with WRX in the name, so no, it's not associated solely with Subaru.

There were some WRC plates but none that brought in the GR name, so WRX was the next best thing.

The logo for world rally cross is just RX.

Man of Honour
The pen pushers like to think they own the ECUs inside people's cars and have a thing about 3rd parties messing with it.

OFC there isn't much they can do it about it in reality. If the demand is high enough it will get cracked eventually and people are allowed by law to tinker with it.

They have every right to stop 3rd parties tampering, with drive-by-wire throttles, cruise control and all of the other modern features it's easy to screw things up in a manner that could kill someone.

And tampering with ECUs pays my bills I'm the opposite of biased

Soldato
Out of everything that’s come out in recent times. This car has impressed me the most.

Look forward to everyone who gets one and the journey they have with them.

Back
Top Bottom