LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Associate
To be honest, these "early" Black Friday deals don't impress me at all, a £1500 TV that LG then UP the RRP price to £1600 so they can knock it down to £1300 and make out you are saving £300...

Even if that was not a scummy move, and the TV was legit £1600 to begin with, a £300 saving on a large TV purchase is to be fair, a bog standard "on offer" price that you could get any time of the year if they felt so inclined to sell more....

So for Black Friday event, to be blunt, the price is a steaming pile of you know what....So far.

Black Friday deals is a scam you will always see the RRP then the saving off, it like that everywhere there was a HyperX headphone at RRP £82.00 that came out over three years ago but you save £30.00 from the RRP but you didn't save nothing but people still think they save themselves money let them get on with it, If a CX55 was RRP £1599.00 in August and now in BF deal now they clam it's £300.00 cheaper No just a price drop like allots of things prices do drop just before Christmas then you have winter sales after it's just to clear the stock

Associate
Yeah, it's annoying LG has that partnership deal with Curries guess it gives them first priority, everyone else gets it last almost. Guess us JL owners will have to wait a few more weeks to get it OTA or USB route. Wish these LG firmware guys just rolled it out for any Variant.
Maybe big retail stores get first priority from LG then online stores do:p

Soldato
I tested my newly built NVIDIA 3070 PC on my LG B9 OLED and it worked fine at 4k120 with gsync enabled in HDR mode, using the HDMI cable supplied with the PS5.

That video is from early October and LG has released a few firmware updates since which fixed most of those problems.

Last edited:
Associate
Just thought I'd share a few thoughts on the CX which I set up yesterday (bought from John Lewis).

I believe somebody in this thread posted a little earlier that they were experiencing some kind of electronics/burning smell coming from their set? I definitely have the same thing. Perhaps I am noticing it more since i've set up the panel in my bedroom rather than a living room, but the smell definitely lingers. If it persists I will send this unit back as its giving me a bit of a headache :(

The picture quality itself is immense. Using it as a monitor, the initial experience is that the screen size is much too big for anything but the largest desks. My desk has an 80cm depth, but I will probably have to fit a keyboard tray to extend the distance a little further.

Another observation I had was how much difference a glossy monitor has on the overall quality of the picture. Anti glare coatings on most monitors (I have a AW34) suppress image vibrancy, at least in my opinion, but the trade off makes sense as I can position my monitor next to a window and still use it without issue. You will need to put in some extra thought when positioning this panel.

I had intended to run this panel as an ultrawide with black borders at the top and bottom, like I've seen done elsewhere. This works reasonably well, but some games will try and adjust the resolution themselves or mess up the setting (Metro exodus seems to do this a lot). It isn't quite the 'plug and play' simplicity of actually just having an ultrawide monitor, so perhaps that is something to bear in mind for those who want to go down this route.

Associate
Just thought I'd share a few thoughts on the CX which I set up yesterday (bought from John Lewis).

I believe somebody in this thread posted a little earlier that they were experiencing some kind of electronics/burning smell coming from their set? I definitely have the same thing. Perhaps I am noticing it more since i've set up the panel in my bedroom rather than a living room, but the smell definitely lingers. If it persists I will send this unit back as its giving me a bit of a headache :(

That was me. The smell is still there but seems to have gone down slightly, more noticeable during HDR playback.

Think I will give it a few more days before getting it replaced.

Associate
That was me. The smell is still there but seems to have gone down slightly, more noticeable during HDR playback.

Think I will give it a few more days before getting it replaced.

You guys are removing the plastic film from the back as well as the front ya?, as leaving it on traps heat.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Didn't notice any smell on mine from day 1, must have got it from the 1st 48CX batch from JL myself.

Still got the film plastic left on the back unit even, not even bothered to remove it. The panel does not get that hot on the back anyhow.

Some guys over on avforums have the same issue but said it went after a few weeks, if it's still there after 2-3 weeks id replace it personally just keep tabs on your return date and policy !

Back
Top Bottom