• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Not had any crashes in AC:V, Astro, Days Gone or Monster Hunter World or anything with downloads. Though I’ve not used Rest Mode at all and won’t until it’s confirmed it’s 100% safe.

Associate
Having to return mine as I have the dreaded graphic glitch / artifacting :( Console was great otherwise.

Edit: Tried to contact Sony PS support today, spent a total of 4 hours on hold and no answer, assume with Covid they've got reduced staffing and many people probably with similar issues.

Soldato
Just wanted to gauge the number of people who have not had any issues as of yet - the silent happy folks :)
I'm yet to have any hang, crash, unexpected noises etc, it has really worked how I'd expect it.
I've played Astrobot, AC:Valhalla, Sackboy and then Civilization 6.
I have an external 1TB SSD plugged in, I've currently got 4 PS4 games reinstalled on that that device.

The two things I haven't yet done with my PS5 which seems to cause issues with some people.
1. Played Mils Morales. I do wonder if this is a game issue over anything else.
2. Used Rest Mode. I'm still powering the console down when I'm finished.

I've had a 6hr session (yer I know) on AC:Valhalla, so have played continuously just to make sure there were no overheating problems etc.

Anyone using Rest mode without any issues? Do you also happen to have an external drive attached?

Soldato
Is any of you also using an external drive?

I've had a 1TB SSD (Crucial MX500 in a Ugreen USB 3.1 Caddy) plugged into a read USB port since last night. I downloaded 2 PS4 games and installed 2 from disc to that drive.
I have only played one game from the external drive since installing. Powered the console up/down a few times since I added this drive and so far I've not had any issues.
However, the majority of my gaming at the moment s PS5 titles from the built-in drive.

Associate
How does the PS5 work with PS4 games?

I have an external storage drive on my PS4 and if I plug this into a PS5 will it just work? (presuming the game I want to play from the drive is one of the 95% of compatible titles?) I also presume I can copy onto the actual PS5?

What about the games stored on the PS4 itself? Ethernet between the 2 to transfer? Can you re-download digital purchases from the PS4 onto the PS5 once signed in?

If the game in question is optimised for PS5 do you get the updated version automatically when it installs on the PS5 or do you have to pay extra?

Not got my PS5 yet, was too slow pre-ordering (as in I didn't), I'm in no hurry and happy to wait until the stock shortage is sorted I'm just curious! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Neither do Sony, MS, Nintendo or anyone else really. I know what people are saying but it's a complex solution to a one-off problem.

sadly I dont think its a one off, scalping has been around for years, but in the past it used to be mainly on things like collector edition games (which were always produced in limited numbers), they would be sold for 2-3x price.

I think if left unchecked on every PC hardware release, and console release we will see scalping from now on, why its suddenly ramped up? I think quite possibly the bot's have come to age and are technically advanced to handle this stuff now, I read an article somewhere that the bot software used for RTX cards was only completed in 2019.

What is a bit of an unknown is if we only going to see this on product launches, or for the entire life of products, the new AMD PC cpus, gpus, ampere gpus, and PS5/ Xbox series all recently launched so we just dont know, but I have a horrible feeling, that as long as they sell, they going to keep trying to buy up all future stock.

Soldato
Thanks for the tip but I’m just gonna wait until I can walk into game and get one, put a real bitter taste in my mouth.

I’ll just sit here being salty playing Cyberpunk.

Shame it didn't work out but it was pretty obvious a refund was only option. Are you playing cyberpunk at launch or waiting for the 'proper' next gen patch/version. I'm waiting myself.

Soldato
I've been using rest mode without issue and haven't had a single crash or problem yet. Not got an external drive plugged in though.

So pleased with it so far. Feels like a big upgrade from the PS4 and the backwards compatibility is a bonus.

Soldato
I've been using rest mode without issue and haven't had a single crash or problem yet. Not got an external drive plugged in though.

So pleased with it so far. Feels like a big upgrade from the PS4 and the backwards compatibility is a bonus.
Same here. I’ve been using rest mode on and off since I had the console. I do however make sure I’ve quit whatever game I was playing before putting into rest mode.

Soldato
Same here. I’ve been using rest mode on and off since I had the console. I do however make sure I’ve quit whatever game I was playing before putting into rest mode.

Same, I'm sure this will get sorted with a patch in future. And booting games not such a problem since it's so quick now anyway.

Associate
Because it may get lost in the other thread, I'll double up on mentioning the issues I've had here.

Firstly my external SSD doesn't work in the rear USB ports. Its a Sabrent Nano 1TB SSD. In the rear ports it gets detected, but the PS5 is unable to format it. It works "fine" in the front USB C port.

Secondly, and this is why "fine" is in quotes. If the HDD is attached, then Miles Morales crashes to a black screen of death. I then have to use the front power button to restart the PS5, and it will then detect corruption and rebuild the internal SSD. It seems, but I've not repeatedly experimented, that it will not restart whilst the external HDD is still attached. Annoying as I really want the PS4 games on the external.

I also think it needs more USB ports, particularly on the rear. One for the Headset dongle, one for the PSVR camera, and one for the PSVR, one for the external HDD. I might have to try a USB hub for the dongle and the PSVR connections. I don't like having things permanently connected to the front, nor do I like having to swap things around all the time.

Other than that, its been great. Really enjoying Valhalla apart from the screen tearing. Would really love to get an OLED for gaming on, but I'd have to upgrade the main TV as well (otherwise SWMBO will kill me).

Last edited:
Soldato
It is, the contract is between the shop and the courier to deliver the goods. Not the customer taking it into their own hands to threaten them to hand it over. Or worse, resort to violence.

Otherwise the customer is on very shaky grounds.
What? A contract means nothing where theft and fraud is involved, it's a criminal offence fgs.

How does a delivery driver turning up at someone's address, sitting there for ten minutes while he marks the package as delivered, and then drives off with intention and steals it, how does that fall into 'contractual' waters? :confused:

Just because a driver has a 'contract' with Amazon to deliver something doesn't excuse them to the wraith of the law.

Associate
Got exactly this issue. Every time I turn it off and on (even rest mode) it tells me I have to reinstall the game. Virgin media must be getting hammered by my repeated downloading of MW :(

The updates are causing the issue. Reinstall the game, don't update, and the game will play fine time after time. Only workaround for the time being until they sort out the updates.

Back
Top Bottom