• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
More 3rd party disappointment for the Series X, a lot of people went with the X with better 3rd party games performance at the back of their mind. Maybe grabbing a PS5 first and an X a year down the line would have been a better option.

Cyberpunk ain’t far off... PS5 best console platform for that also?

I thought the point of the X was because MS has basically bought all the developers. Graphics really mean little to me these days.

Man of Honour
More 3rd party disappointment for the Series X, a lot of people went with the X with better 3rd party games performance at the back of their mind. Maybe grabbing a PS5 first and an X a year down the line would have been a better option.

Meh, it isn’t like anyone will notice the difference. Try not to get too fixated on DF - I mean, for one thing I don’t play zoomed in 200% :p

Until the enhancements drop cyberpunk probably won’t be great on either.

Soldato
OK, Gears 5 is glorious.

It’s meant to be able to store the current played state, many supposedly paused, in the memory so that you can jump straight in. When it’s worked well the quick resume icon appears on the top right of the splash screen and it throws you straight into where you left off. You don’t even have to go back into the hone screen to switch games.

Sometimes it doesn’t happen, sometimes the game crashes and some games it never happens at all.

We need a UI list of games that are stored in the quick resume memory.

Ok I dont think its happening on lost oddysey, but the xbox series does keep state of running game when in instant on mode when you turn it off, so keep state is still a thing but one game at a time, however on my unit of course the instant on mode is kind of broken.

Soldato
Dirt 5 120Hz mode seems pretty buggy on series X.

game needs stability mode, ff15 had it on the ps4 pro, was resolution (targeted 4k but framerate was all over place), frame rate mode ( largely in 40-50 range so stuttery mess) , stability mode which was static 1080p 30fps cap and was flawless like PC.

All 3 modes on dirt 5 seems to have frame rate variability.

Soldato
We really need to be able to turn off the controller light. I don’t think we can?

Could you turn them off on PS4 xbox?

I dont mind the lights on the controller personally but yes I would be all for more customisation options for the controller. I can see where they might be a distraction and turning them of would help - like sitting in a dark room with pad lights reflecting off the TV screen!

Last edited:
Soldato
Could you turn them off on PS4?

I dont mind the lights on the controller personally but yes I would be all for more customisation options for the controller. I can see where they might be a distraction and turning them of would help - like sitting in a dark room with pad lights reflecting off the TV screen!

yeah, and you can also keep on but dimmed.

Soldato
Hehe thought I was in ps5 thread. Meant to say can they be turned off on previous xbox consoles?

That I have no idea :) I dont own an xbox one, and the 360 controller only lights up one corner of the edge.

The light on the series controller hasnt bugged me, but looking at it, I can see it how it can annoy some people. I just turned my light and display off and yeah it is a bit glary.

Caporegime

I think it is far to early to tell at the moment.

I think it is just as likely that the Series X's extra gpu grunt will give it a slight advantage in some titles down the line.

I imagine it will be swings and roundabouts though mostly.

Man of Honour
Permanent marker? :p

Heh, tempting. It’s just a bit bright when your in a dark room with a dark scene.

I think it is far to early to tell at the moment.

I think it is just as likely that the Series X's extra gpu grunt will give it a slight advantage in some titles down the line.

I imagine it will be swings and roundabouts though mostly.

It cracks me up at the moment. Sony fanboys ‘we have 1 extra frame’, victory :p

It’s the first party titles that really need to make use of that extra grunt.

Caporegime
Heh, tempting. It’s just a bit bright when your in a dark room with a dark scene.

yeh it is a bit odd. From the videos i have seen its literally like a few frames, or about 5% at most difference, and only very occasionally, and there are also instances where the Series X was clearly clawing that back the other way (ie Devil May Cry in 4k quality mode).

Seems to be all pretty meaningless at the moment, and realistically they are going to perform about the same unless you obsess over framerates.

Soldato

According to gamefaqs because of dirt 5, the S is a failed console and the X should be refunded because the PS5 runs it better.

Soldato
I own both consoles so no bias here, but if you look at the DF video, particularly at 10:37 on and compare the difference, we're not just talking about a couple of frames here. There's a clear difference in image quality - for example the car lights on the XSX version are octagons compared to round on the PS5 version, it's really bizarre. Then in the few seconds after, the difference in image quality on the road is very noticeable indeed and at other points there's noticeable difference in grass details etc.

Something strange is going on for sure as there's no way the XSX version should look that poor in comparison. A couple of fps here and there is obviously no big deal, but when we're talking large differences in detail settings too, it just makes it weird. Hopefully this is something that can be fixed with a patch but if not, I'm sure it'll be a problem that's relatively short lived with future titles as devs get more experience with the dev tools.

With all that said though, the video highlights clear image quality differences, but I doubt most people would think anything of it if they're just playing the game and enjoying it for what it is on whatever system.

Soldato
I own both consoles so no bias here, but if you look at the DF video, particularly at 10:37 on and compare the difference, we're not just talking about a couple of frames here. There's a clear difference in image quality - for example the car lights on the XSX version are octagons compared to round on the PS5 version, it's really bizarre. Then in the few seconds after, the difference in image quality on the road is very noticeable indeed and at other points there's noticeable difference in grass details etc.

Something strange is going on for sure as there's no way the XSX version should look that poor in comparison. A couple of fps here and there is obviously no big deal, but when we're talking large differences in detail settings too, it just makes it weird. Hopefully this is something that can be fixed with a patch but if not, I'm sure it'll be a problem that's relatively short lived with future titles as devs get more experience with the dev tools.

With all that said though, the video highlights clear image quality differences, but I doubt most people would think anything of it if they're just playing the game and enjoying it for what it is on whatever system.

I posted a video of the Dirt 5 lead developer saying that they only got the full Xbox Series S and X dev kits in June and so aren't able to optimise things properly until they get to grips with what it can do. He also went on to say that right now, at 120fps on the Series X, the CPU is hovering at 5ms and they've got up to 8.3ms for optimal time at 120fps, so there's loads of room available on the CPU end. They still haven't learned what they can do with the full RDNA2 architecture and options, as well as the other features available to them so obviously when compared to the PS5 where they've had the dev kit for much longer, it'll suffer.

He also went on to say that in the original Digital Foundry build he broke something which he was annoyed with himself about, but they weren't able to sort it before DF did their video, so they originally posted a video with a broken build on the Xbox. I don't think that'll be what DF have used this time, but it's very clear that developers are still learning what can be done with the Xbox Gamecore Dev Kit so give it time. He's already said that from the little they've used the GDK now, that they've put in loads of optimisations for the Series X and they'll be slowly changing stuff as they learn more.

I am not worried about a few frames here and there. If both platforms play the game within the margins that gamers are happy with in terms of graphics, smoothness and response, why does it matter if one is slightly better than the other? It's really quite crazy how people get with stuff like this. They didn't make the consoles so why get worked up when one is better than the other? It's quite a strange culture.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom