Poll: *** The official 2020 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

What 2020 Apple Silicon notebook have you ordered?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 29 29.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
So far so good. Accessing my Synology NAS was nice and simple but I'm still trying to not do things the windows way. For example every time I want to close a window I move the cursor to the top right of the window. I'll get there.

Soldato
The more I see reviews/comparisons of these machines the more tempted I am. Currently got a 2019 i5 2.4/8GB/256GB MBP... could easily run with either base models of the models. Decisions..
Well, decided to get one.. went for the MBA. Soon see how it is!

Associate
Mine arrived today.

16gb 8core GPU machine I mention above. It's really really snappy to use, puts my 16" i9 and 12" to shame in terms of general OS responsiveness.

Soldato
Been using the 8/8/512 Air for a few days and I’m still literally blown away.
The battery, whilst being no Pro, is phenomenal - easily getting through an 8 hour WFH day with 40% to spare.
Sidecar has proven really useful as well (whilst not an m1 feature) and allows pseudo 3 display setup - and the thing still doesn’t skip a beat.

Looking forward to seeing the 16” next year

Soldato
I'm testing the battery life today, not that I'm expecting much difference from all that's been reported so far, so I'll use the MacBook every time I would have used my iPad Pro.

I installed WoW, just to test it on here as I don't play it any more, and it ran smoothly. Impressed with that.

I'll always have my desktop as a PC as I'm a PC gamer but I get the feeling my future laptops will be Macbook's. Just got to get used to the OS.

Of course it's not all rosey as I couldn't get my free years subs to AppleTV+. Whenever I went into the AppleTV app it wouldn't bring up the option. Eventually I discovered I wasn't logged in to access my films on AppleTV even though I am logged into this MacBook on the same account as my iPad. Once I logged in there the free year showed up. I was surprised the inital setup and login to my Apple ID hadn't carried through to other items installed on the MacBook.

RJC

RJC

Don
Whats the Education pricing like on the Air's?

My sister is at College and apparently signed up to some student scheme and was thinking of having a word!

Soldato
Whats the Education pricing like on the Air's?

My sister is at College and apparently signed up to some student scheme and was thinking of having a word!

10% off on macs. For newer macs, this is the almost always the best price you'll get. For older ones, shop around, sometimes they're cheaper elsewhere.

Soldato
Liking the MBA so far, definitely nice having a silent and cool running machine. Charged it up fully and going to see how the battery fairs with YouTube/Twitch etc, usually only got a 2-3 hours or less on my 2019 MBP.

Soldato
Tomorrow is the day. I'm thinking that rather than migrate, I'll do a fresh install and start from scratch.

I always do it once a year. It's a good time to rethink the software that I use, check alternatives, and generally get rid of all the stuff I've accumulated but don't need.

Back
Top Bottom