Which mobo will be best for AMD 5900x & ASUS ROG STRIX 3080??

Associate
Can someone please advise me which board will be well suited to the 5900x and asus 3080?

I am thinking the asus Rog strix x570...

my first gaming pc build so please feel free to educate me!

Associate
I’ve just sent my x570 Tomahawk back to OCUK and bought an Asus Strix x570-e.

The tomahawk gave me nothin but problems with my 5600x.

- it took 5 different usb sticks to finally flash the BIOS
- upon using it for 5 hours, it randomly crashed and displayed a VGA error code and wouldn’t boot. Sent my 3080FE back RMA.
- used the machine 2 days with a different graphics card and then it randomly powered off while on a Teams call for work. It then wouldn’t boot with a CPU error. Rebuilt the machine etc. And finally got it to boot, after 4 power cycles, it stopped booting and showed the CPU error.

Fitted the Asus Strix x570e earlier in the week and it’s been solid.

Associate
OP
I’ve just sent my x570 Tomahawk back to OCUK and bought an Asus Strix x570-e.

The tomahawk gave me nothin but problems with my 5600x.

- it took 5 different usb sticks to finally flash the BIOS
- upon using it for 5 hours, it randomly crashed and displayed a VGA error code and wouldn’t boot. Sent my 3080FE back RMA.
- used the machine 2 days with a different graphics card and then it randomly powered off while on a Teams call for work. It then wouldn’t boot with a CPU error. Rebuilt the machine etc. And finally got it to boot, after 4 power cycles, it stopped booting and showed the CPU error.

Fitted the Asus Strix x570e earlier in the week and it’s been solid.

This was the motherboard I was looking at getting because reviews online said it would be compatible with my chosen components but I am a complete novice have never build a PC before. Does this one need a bios update before you use it?

TIA

Associate
This was the motherboard I was looking at getting because reviews online said it would be compatible with my chosen components but I am a complete novice have never build a PC before. Does this one need a bios update before you use it?

TIA

I’m not sure if it needs the update but I updated mine before fitting the CPU.

The BIOS update without the CPU was very easy and worked first time with the first usb I tried.

Associate
OP
I’m not sure if it needs the update but I updated mine before fitting the CPU.

The BIOS update without the CPU was very easy and worked first time with the first usb I tried.

Forgive me, i am a noob. How did you get the bios update onto a USB? and to clarify you updated motherboard before putting CPU on it?

Soldato
Forgive me, i am a noob. How did you get the bios update onto a USB? and to clarify you updated motherboard before putting CPU on it?

Some boards have a Flash function whereby you can update the BIOS without a CPU fitted. You download the update and save it to a USB with the correct name format for the file as per manufactures instructions. Plug it in the correct USB slot and press the button on the back panel of the board. It will then take a few minutes and flash it for you. I did similar with my Asus B550 board ahead of time before my 5800X arrived. Hope this helps.

Associate
OP
Some boards have a Flash function whereby you can update the BIOS without a CPU fitted. You download the update and save it to a USB with the correct name format for the file as per manufactures instructions. Plug it in the correct USB slot and press the button on the back panel of the board. It will then take a few minutes and flash it for you. I did similar with my Asus B550 board ahead of time before my 5800X arrived. Hope this helps.

thank you that's really good to know! I'm going to need all the help and knowledge I can get to build my first PC lol!

Associate
I've just had a x570 Tomahawk delivered today for my 5950x. After reading here and on the MSI forums I'm starting to regret it already. I guess I'll know on saturday when the cpu turns up.

Associate
Tomahawk here, now 'its working' its great.

My first was DOA and wouldn't POST or take a BIOS flash.. fought with it for 3 days then gave up and returned. Replacement worked easily and no problems on V14 BIOS, no WHEA errors and memory at 3600 stable with a 5900x.

Back
Top Bottom