Once in a decade PC build - anything you would change?

pkn

pkn

Associate
It's been about 10 years since I built my current PC which has served me well. I'm keen to start PC gaming again (CoD, Cyberpunk etc) and also have a Quest 2 which needs a modern rig for HL Alyx etc. Here is my parts list - anything you would change? Thanks

CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 570X RGB GAMING CASE

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.6GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4)

ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready

32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)

16GB AMD RADEON™ RX 6800 - HDMI, DP - DX® 12

250GB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 120 2.5" SSD, (up to 560MB/sR | 540MB/sW)

1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)

Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Associate
its a nice build. will keep you going for a good 2-3 years based on the cpu. 6 core 12 threads will become the minimum requirements soon for most games. but you have upgrade options in the future due the quality mobo. go for it and upgrade when needed :)

Soldato
I'm going to be picky :p but in a constructive way.
32GB RAM, is there a reason for that as 16GB is par for the course.
I find it odd that you've chosen a 1TB NVME SSD and a 250GB SATA SSD, should that be the other way round as my logic would be NVME for the OS & the SATA for files & Games. Samsung SSD's are overpriced if you want PCI-E 3, but make sense for PCI-E 4.
Any Reason for X570 over B550 with a 5600X?
PSU = Solid Choice
Case = Each to their own for looks but there are better & cheaper cases with RGB for almost half the price. Lian-Li Lancool 2 MESH for example.
6800 Nice card but I think you'll be waiting 'till the new year for one unless you are lucky.

Soldato
anything you would change?
If purpose is to have PC to last time toward that 10 years, or upgrade base for that, that's brand&fashion banged to butt horrible for the price in either.

• For the very high price that bling bling fashion case has very limited USB ports and courtesy of fashion design no way to add them.
    And if you're not concerned about such upgradability of the case, I would anyway cut case down in price to put more money into something actually usefull.
    Plenty of good cases around £100.

• Six core CPU won't last many years as good.
    New consoles give 7 cores exclusively into use of the games to make sure game developers have incentive to find ways to use/new things to do with lots of powerfull cores.
    Again AMD offers good upgradability with CPUs later becoming cheaper.
    But if you're not interested about swapping CPU later, that list is anyway no good for the price spent on no bang for buck elsewhere.

• Asus X570 boards are brand overhype crappy for longevity.
    Chipset coolers in them are straight from anus of marketroids:
    Actual heeatsink under marketing excrements is from tiny to small.
    And basically relies on constant airflow from constantly running fan.
    With whole crud placed into worst place directly under graphics card to be bathed in its heat.​
    So add there powerfull GPU and in gaming sessions that chipset will easily run hot.
    And should be easy to guess what happens if/when that fan eventually fails.

Gigabyte and MSI have properly designed X570 chipset coolers with good size heatsink farther from heat of graphics card and mostly working passively.
    Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 Chipset ATX Motherboard= £199.99
    And B550 board would really give nearly everything for most user at lower price saving budget into actual bang per buck.
    MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk (AMD AM4) B550 ATX Motherboard= £149.99

• That memory is plain Ridiculously Grossly Bloated overpriced.
    Standard 3200MHz memory should be toward £100 in price.
    Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey= £109.99
    Anyway for longer lasting PC would want 3600MHz memory to give extra performance for Ryzen.
    Which can be had for actually original price when skipping brand and RGB BS:
    Patriot Viper Steel 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C18 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit (PVS432G360C8K)= £158.99

• No need for separate OS drive.
    Partitioning is for keeping Windows separate from the rest in case of needing to do fresh install.
    Though at least you weren't going to waste limited M.2 slots for uselessly small drive.

But anyway Samsung drives are all more or less horribly brand overpriced.
    Proper price for 1TB NVMe is £140.
    WD Black 1TB SN750 M.2 2280 NVME PCI-E Gen3 Solid State Drive Includes Heatsink (WDS100T3XHC)= £139.99
    Seagate Barracuda 510 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive RV.1 (ZP1000CM3A001)= £139.99

• And any cooler costing quarter of the CPU is bad prioritizing of budget and over third costing cooler super bad prioritizing.
    That fashion overhype slim 240mm radiator doesn't even have surface area to compete lot cheaper high end heatpipe coolers in continuous cooling per noise!
    And because of numerous wear down processes it's pretty certain that it will be permanently broken/nonfunctional far before another decade is gone.
    While heatpipe cooler keeps working unless broken physically, with cheap and easy to replace fan being only point of failure.
    Something like this would be very nice for any AM4 CPU at stock:
    Alpenfohn Brocken 3 CPU Cooler - 140mm= £42.95
    I think by now we would be starting to get close for fitting 12 core CPU into budget...

• With great excess of money spend on for no good elsewhere only mid level PSU with 7 year warranty would be lackluster...
    Good PSU is one of the longest lasting parts of PC.
    For ecample Phanteks AMPs are example of currently stocked good 10 year warranty PSUs.
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=Phanteks+AMP

Back
Top Bottom