• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Caporegime
Just for the record, people tend to completely ignore that interactive ("real time") viewport rendering, when they talk about the history of ray tracing. Viewport rendering has been around for a long time. I think Octane renderer was the first and that had a semi public release prior to 2012 (it might have been invite only). Often the viewport used streamlined algorithms to improve render speeds.

Viewport rendering allowed people to move objects in viewport, move the camera through the scene and change material properties and visible objects. While watching it update in real time.

Here is a demonstration video from 2013. Starts at 42 seconds.

And Blender :)

Associate
That would mean it will be 5% behind the 3090.. I'm really curious how Nvidia are going to price these cards, especially with AMD being where they are.
I mean some of teh AIB 3080's are already close to 1k, at what point wouldn't you get a 6900xt?

Caporegime
Guys, remember that someone coming in hear arguing that big Navi isn't some graphics panacea vs Nvidia isn't the end of the world, and also, those that do come in here advocating for Nvidia, try to detect when your talk is drifting off topic, and at that point it's time to bow out of a thread.

Arguing that Nvidia aren't some graphics panacea is also not the end of the world, i would know, i have swung between AMD and Nvidia more than i think anyone during 2020. I'm hoping to go back to AMD when stock arrives, frankly.

Associate
Yeah don't take that as gospel dude, it's all guesswork atm.
I understand mate, but still the pricing is all over the place, 6800 seems to be priced in a way to tempt you to get the XT as it's only this much more for all this extra gainz.
And the range of prices on the RTX cards is radio rental Aib 3080's at almost the 1k price point.
I'm just happy I don't need a nerw gpu atm, and my psu hasn't died.

Soldato
Its really sad to see all this bickering over the 6800xt because its a competitive offering on par with the 3080. It, at times, can beat a 3090 depending on title.

As for rt its not s selling point imo as it never adds anything to the game's immersion. Even Steve from HU said as much. So its no focal point.

We haven't seen amd in the enthusiast end of gpus in years. And, as drivers mature its very likely that the 6800xt surpasses the 3080. Perhaps on par with the 3090.

However, there is a more deeper concern for Nvidia. Its the 6900xt. Personally, I don't see 8cu bump being that much faster in games. However, based on its price point and performance it certainly looks to be a card to have over the 3090.

As the performance delta between the 6800xt vs 3080 does not show a better gaming experience. We are just comparing which number is higher vs how that number reflects the game. For example, those games with over 100fps is a complete wash. As developers don't create gaming engines to be sensitive to fps that high.

I can lock the fps in Mw2019 to 80fps and play online with the same competitiveness as I do at 200 fps. There is a lot of marketing about higher fps which at a point doesn't mean anything. Higher fps is only king of marketing imo.

Since we know the performance of the 6800xt and 3080 it really comes down to which is cheaper and available at this point. And so far amd is leading the way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom