VW Tiguan Thoughts (on spec and deal)

Associate
Hoping that the gaps in my knowledge can be filled here, so would appreciate any assistance.

Essentially im interested in and been offered a new demonstrator VW Tiguan. Its the 2020 (70 plate) new shape and was registered by the dealer in November, so basically has only been used by the MD at the minute over lockdown (circa 1k miles).

Now spec wise it comes with what I asked for, Automatic / 4Motion and RLine spec. It has a 2.0TDI engine with 200PS which I dont really understand, but I think that means it has a bit more power behind it.

Brand new it comes in at 42k with all the extras added, they have listed it for 35k and in turn have already offered me 12k for my car (i own outright), so theres a 23k gap to bridge.

Firstly if anyone has any experience with the Tiguan and what specs I should be looking at, id like to hear about them. I think it has everything id want, the only option missing is the 'mobile charging pad' which would be handy, but not a deal breaker :D

As for price, obviously the car has dipped a lot in value so would the dealer likely have any wiggle room or do demo cars generally sell at what they are offered at? Ive not had much experience in negotiating these, my plan is to finance it with a personal loan as I dont think id get value in VWs finance with a lump at the back end to pay off... but again, happy to listen to those who know better.

I have looked at competitor options and for what im getting, I dont think I can get similar with Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar... I know thats a bit snobbish looking at those brands, and although I currently enjoy the Mazda I drive, I feel its the right time to go German before Brexit takes hold!

Would love to hear the good and bad, cheers.

Soldato
Soldato
Have a look on carwow for that spec, often the ex-demo cars aren't even that good of a deal.

Must have options on them (from pre facelift experience) rear cam/full cam if you want, leather seats, pan roof (standard on R Line now?), go for the 9" screen if you have the area view cameras as it doesn't work to the full features on the 8"

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
I looked at the pre facelift Tiguan 3-4 years ago. I thought the R-Line looked smart but the ride was rubbish on the stupidly large wheels. The interior flattered to decieve aswell, the screens take away from some of the cheap feeling plastics. Seats werent all that either, it didnt fit the premium price tag.At the end of the day its a posh golf. I ended up going for a Volvo XC60 at the time.

Have you had a look at the Seat Ateca or the Skoda Kodiac/Karoc? Might be better value for money, this particular one, as nice a spec it is, isnt something the dealer would sell quickly i would have thought, i cant imagine its going to be all that economical with that engine and 4wd.

I wouldnt get too hung up on the brand, ive never really seen the VW brand in the same league as the rest of ze Germans and Jag, it occupies the middle ground between the likes of Vauxhall/Ford/Frenchies and the percieved prestige brands. Just look at how far the likes of Kia and Hyundai have come.

Associate
OP
I looked at the pre facelift Tiguan 3-4 years ago. I thought the R-Line looked smart but the ride was rubbish on the stupidly large wheels. The interior flattered to decieve aswell, the screens take away from some of the cheap feeling plastics. Seats werent all that either, it didnt fit the premium price tag.At the end of the day its a posh golf. I ended up going for a Volvo XC60 at the time.

Have you had a look at the Seat Ateca or the Skoda Kodiac/Karoc? Might be better value for money, this particular one, as nice a spec it is, isnt something the dealer would sell quickly i would have thought, i cant imagine its going to be all that economical with that engine and 4wd.

I wouldnt get too hung up on the brand, ive never really seen the VW brand in the same league as the rest of ze Germans and Jag, it occupies the middle ground between the likes of Vauxhall/Ford/Frenchies and the percieved prestige brands. Just look at how far the likes of Kia and Hyundai have come.

I think im set on a Tiguan and going for the RLine spec with 4MOTION/Automatic. Ill look for a better deal if i can.

Soldato
Don't know much about them other than a friend's Mrs had one and the emergency braking system kept triggering without cause or warning.

VW's response to complaints was extreme disinterest. They claim to have recalibrated it twice yet it persisted. In the end she had to return the car as instructed by the finance company.

Associate
Im on my second Tiguan Rline. The first was 150 TD. In my opinion to underpowered for how I enjoy driving. I would also take it for a test drive as there is a throttle delay pulling away at junctions which I found to be bloody dangerous. Check out Tiguanforums UK. However, the Tiguan is well built and a comfortable car.

I must have liked the car as this year (a year later) I bought a 240BHP BiTD Tiguan. No throttle delay and it goes like stink for a big heavy diesel. No throttle delay. I love this car and prefer it to my wife's Merc A class 250 Petrol turbo.

Associate
OP
Im on my second Tiguan Rline. The first was 150 TD. In my opinion to underpowered for how I enjoy driving. I would also take it for a test drive as there is a throttle delay pulling away at junctions which I found to be bloody dangerous. Check out Tiguanforums UK. However, the Tiguan is well built and a comfortable car.

I must have liked the car as this year (a year later) I bought a 240BHP BiTD Tiguan. No throttle delay and it goes like stink for a big heavy diesel. No throttle delay. I love this car and prefer it to my wife's Merc A class 250 Petrol turbo.

Do you know where the 200ps version would stand in terms of delay?

Im not sure on what that means in terms of power. Its using the 2.0TDI. Im assuming having the 4WD would help?

Associate
Do you know where the 200ps version would stand in terms of delay?

Im not sure on what that means in terms of power. Its using the 2.0TDI. Im assuming having the 4WD would help?

The 200 according to reports still has the delay. My BiTD has two turbos which makes the difference. You may be ok with the delay I wasn't. There is a work around by fitting a DTUK Pedalbox which helps (5 min job). But warranty would be affected but its a quick removal job too.
4WD makes no difference to the delay. I hope the link below helps you.

https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6091

Back
Top Bottom