• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best 1080p card for 144hz?

Associate
Fair points. I do plan to go 1440 at some point. That said the 3070 is giving me a great experience with my current screen. Surely better that way round than upgrading to a panel your GPU struggles with?

I disagree. I have always been of the opinion, that best monitor possible for your budget is a starting point of any system, at the end of the day that's what you are actually looking at. You can always enjoy lower resolutions on that panel before you upgrade your GPU. If you have a crappy cheap panel, it doesn't matter if you spend £5000 on your rig, it will still suck ;)

Associate
I’ve been trying to bag a 3070FE since launch with no luck. I don’t really like any of the aib ones and the price puts me off too. 469 for the best looking 3070 sounds ideal.

Cheers for the comments folks. Food for thought at least.

discord and telegram. That’s how I got mine. There have been 3 stock drops in the last 2 weeks.

Associate
Hi, what do you need 144 frames per second for? I'm happy with 60 with good image quality, I can't see why there is this massive desire to run things at a stupidly high frame rate, am I missing something?
I used to think it wasn't immediately noticeable. Once you've played fast paced games at 144hz you won't be able to go back to 60 it feels horrible.

Soldato
144Hz monitor even makes windows feel smoother. I got a 75Hz and 144Hz monitor if the same frame and model. (One is just 75Hz). Moving mouse and windows across the two screens have completely different experience. 144hz no ghosting smooth.

people say I game at 60Hz just haven’t tried 144Hz and don’t know what they missing.

Soldato
Hz and FPS get mixed up when they aren't the same thing. Best thing to remember is that a high Hz will mean the screen is able to completely draw frames as they are sent from the GPU. So a 144 Hz screen with say an 70-100 FPS game average is good combo with a VRR range of say 40 - 144HZ to cove those extra demanding games. So due to the current GPU situation I downgraded a bit to an RX 5600 XT swapped my 34" UW monitor to a new 32" 2560 x 1440 165Hz monitor and will stick with this for a while until the best option becomes clear and available to buy of course.

Example game is Zero Dawn with high settings sits at 55-60 FPS which is a demanding game and looks great with HDR enabled too. I bought my 5600XT for £200 but will try to buy a 5700XT for £300 or less as the situation isn't getting any better so that extra 20% or so performance will help if I'm stuck waiting until early next year.

Soldato
You don’t want your screen Hz to be too far out from the FPS. Many VRR screen has over drive strength settings. Some times if the FPS is too low then you get overshoot or the other way round depend on your chosen setting. So ideally you wan the 1% low within that sweet spot. I am using AOC 24G2. Under strong setting according hardware unboxed if it drops below 90fps (or something like that) the panel will suffer issues. So I look to get the game around 100fps on lows and frame cap at 143fps to take advantage of the VRR.

thus the hz and FPS is sort of interexahngable and intrinsically linked.

Associate
I’m on the discord thing but not sure what telegram is?

like WhatsApp but I find the notifications to be more plentiful (from a wide variety of retailers) compared to discord. Telegram updated me before discord did for the 3070fe drop. Might even be one this week.

download telegram and search 3070 part alert

Associate
I'm curious if anyone much more knowledgable than me knows which GPU out there is the best value in terms of 144hz 1080p maxed settings.

For instance the 6800 would be a total waste right? Or am I wrong with this assumption?
If you want to have 144fps with 1080p max settings, changing the GPU may not be the only thing needed if yoh are running an older cpu.

My current setup is Ryzen 5 1600x, 3000mhz ram (16gb) and RTX 3070. This setup struggles to go beyond 110-120 fps in most titles. I am told that CPU is the bottleneck in this case bit i dont see cpu usage going beyond 50-60%. Same for GPU. I think this has to do with the single core performance of the cpu.

Associate
Hi, what do you need 144 frames per second for? I'm happy with 60 with good image quality, I can't see why there is this massive desire to run things at a stupidly high frame rate, am I missing something?

You are totally missing something. When you play at 144Hz with over 100fps you will never go back.

Saying anything over 60fps is pointless is like saying a Morris Minor is fine for entering a touring car race. Yes it’ll do it. But you’re totally missing out.

Associate
Back to OP, I knew I was getting a 3070 to update my 1060 so I also got me a 165hz monitor. So far whatever I've thrown at it, it's hold it own at ultra. And I did upgrade from a 1060 so that my VR would run properly.

Soldato
Isn’t 1080p the most common resolution in the Steam survey by a mile still?

Edit: just checked and it’s over 70%
it defintiely is cos it is still cheapest entry point for high FPS gaming - the hardware requirement is less - GPU, Monitor, potnetially can get away with a 8yr old machine still capable of doing 100FPS

Associate
I had a 1070 for 4 years and it was plenty good enough for 1440p and 144hz. Would run most things on ultra / High and hit 60-90fps for the vast majority of games.

Associate
60-90 fps on 144hz is pointless though I though? You're not making use of the high refresh rate, also isn't it better to have a consistent frame rate than a very high cap but a large variance.

@HellDiverUK, I don't think it's comparable to a race as image quality and consistency is arguably more important than a high speed cap. Also it depends on the game i.e if you play adventure games or not fast moving games like 3rd person action games it won't be a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom