• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
No-one is denying that nVidia have better RT capabilities, but it looks like there's a tipping point where a heavy/clumsy imprementation that intentional or not is beyond AMD's current capabilities.

RT, the new tessalation it seems....

NV sponsored games = Heavy RT.
Everything else = A sensible amount.

Associate

57d920f5a10dab9fa664cfc5e7348a50eb0c748a2351064f6833bedaa52d534a-2.jpg
That chart looks hugely problematic to me.

The percentage on the 6800 column is consistent. 85-88. That's fine, no quibbles. That's at +/-1%, just measuring errors.

The 3080 column varies from 102 to 112%. A 10% range. That's so large that it's very clear that the differences in testing methodology are sufficient to change the outcome from "so close they're within measurement error" to "Spanked by 12%, difference is human detectable".

I don't have time right now, but a count of games used would be fascinating.

Caporegime
No-one is denying that nVidia have better RT capabilities, but it looks like there's a tipping point where a heavy/clumsy imprementation that intentional or not is beyond AMD's current capabilities.

Agree... it's a fact that Nvidia have 30% faster RT. However 30 faster than slow is still mediocre and without DLSS they cannot push good framerates at higher resolutions.

For me the real kicker is going to be how AMD's interpretation of AMDLSS turns out. Like it or not, DLSS/AMDLSS is going to be a significant feature, maybe even a necessary one, in many new games in 2021/2022. People need to stop looking at the point in time situation of these technologies "where not many games have implemented DLSS" and think a little ahead, because we are only now at the start of the road of this technology going mainstream. Ampere will bring RT and DLSS to almost every price bracket and so will AMD when they get theirs sorted... the question is if AMDLSS will be strong out of the gate or take a generation or two to catch up.

I think it's not worth (to me, of course) buying a card until the start of next year when we have a full view of how AMD and Nvidias's software stack will pan out for the next 12-24 months.

Last edited:
Associate
For me the real kicker is going to be how AMD's interpretation of AMDLSS turns out. I think there is not yet any point buying a card until the start of next year when we have a full view of how AMD and Nvidias's software stack will pan out for the next 12-24 months.
Agree. This and the supply problems is why I opted for a 1 year graphics card. It's just not predictable enough to take the a £600-£1000 risk.

Soldato
Agree... it's a fact that Nvidia have 30% faster RT. However 30 faster than slow is still mediocre and without DLSS they cannot push good framerates at higher resolutions.

For me the real kicker is going to be how AMD's interpretation of AMDLSS turns out. Like it or not, DLSS/AMDLSS is going to be a significant feature, maybe even a necessary one, in many new games in 2021/2022. People need to stop looking at the point in time situation of these technologies "where not many games have implemented DLSS" and think a little ahead, because we are only now at the start of the road of this technology going mainstream. Ampere will bring RT and DLSS to almost every price bracket and so will AMD when they get theirs sorted... the question is if AMDLSS will be strong out of the gate or take a generation or two to catch up.

I think it's not worth (to me, of course) buying a card until the start of next year when we have a full view of how AMD and Nvidias's software stack will pan out for the next 12-24 months.

The scary part for me is that I think the more cards support dlss/amd direct ml the more developers will see it as baseline gpu performance. Right now when we enable dlss we think wow cool extra performance but it's possible in the future games will be developed with the assumption that dlss is always on which gives the developer extra room for effects

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Created for nVidia in mind with heavy RT effects that probably overwhelms AMD cards, see Dirt5 and WoW for lighter RT implementations and performance levels (hint, AMD smash it).
Poor Jedi, won’t be able to play the COD game he got from me recently with RT.

Bet you any money you will be on an nvidia card again before long ;):p

Associate
Agree. This and the supply problems is why I opted for a 1 year graphics card. It's just not predictable enough to take the a £600-£1000 risk.
The more you wait the closer you are to Hopper release though. I expect Hopper rumours to start around 4Q21/1Q22.

Associate

Black Ops only has ray traced shadows and ambient occlusion. Cyberpunk 2077 will be pulling out all the stops on RTX though.

Associate
The more you wait the closer you are to Hopper release though. I expect Hopper rumours to start around 4Q21/1Q22.
I'm fine with that. It'll be a release with Nvidia actually afraid of AMD having a product at a sane price, worried about repeating the same launch mistakes.

Given that I'm still on 1080p till it get around to replacing the screens... yeah, I'm falling to see a downside?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Heavy RT? Most games I have played it on it is anything but heavy. We won’t get heavy RT for another 5-10 years.

Does COD not come with options to have lower quality RT so you can use it on as chuk_chuk would call it your gimped card? :p

Pet Northerner
Don
Does anyone know if I pay with PayPal to get it through checkout faster should I be lucky enough to get an aib card, would I incour any fees? This is using my linked bank account.

use a card on PP rather than your bank, as I'm sure that can take longer to clear. It can be the same Debit card as that linked account

Associate
I'm fine with that. It'll be a release with Nvidia actually afraid of AMD having a product at a sane price, worried about repeating the same launch mistakes.

Given that I'm still on 1080p till it get around to replacing the screens... yeah, I'm falling to see a downside?

If they both go to chiplet designs for the GPUs then there's a good chance RDNA3 kicks Hoppers butt

Associate
Ampere is underperforming at lower resolutions. RDNA2 is scaling fine.

Ampere's poor scaling could be seen even before RDNA2 came out because the performance gains over the 2080ti weren't what they should be at 1440p.

The question is whether it is an architecture issue where it is best suited to 4K or if it is a software issue. AMD better hope its the former because if nvidia find a way of getting the 4K performance scaling (over Turing) at 1440p then it will apply some pressure on AMD.

That isn't to say AMD are not hampered by the lower bandwidth at 4K, but it's not the main reason why Ampere catches up and overtakes at 4K.

The problem is it does not matter too much if Ampere is underperforming at lower resolutions. That could be the case but you still get insane fps. Sure the 6800xt is a little better but playing a game on 1440p ultra at 100 fps instead of 103 fps, is still fine.
But it can matter a lot in 4k if the frame rates are close to 60. Some think the Ampere is overperforming at 4k, some think that the 6800xt is underperforming. But anyone can notice the 6800xt drops more fps from 1440 to 4k than the 3080.

I hope it is a driver problem and in fact it seems that the latest driver boosted the performance in 1440p and 4k so the 6800xt could do a little better now in 4k. Probably they will do even better with future drivers. I can see the 6800xt doing pretty well in 4k Ultra and even beating the 3090 in AC Valhalla.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L_dAynbKbo
But there are rumors that there is also a problem with the memory bandwidth. Once the Vram frequency goes over 2000Mhz, you won`t see the same linear progression that you can see at lower frequencies and after 2100Mhz, you can even see a regression in performance.

https://twitter.com/CapFrameX/status/1330495454233174017

Let`s hope that can be fixed.

BTW the performance in CoD Cold War is also pretty bad on Nvidia cards. Sure you get more FPS but the frames are all over the place even on the 3090. Which shows once again that this generation of video cards in not prepared for 4k Ultra with RT.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
If they both go to chiplet designs for the GPUs then there's a good chance RDNA3 kicks Hoppers butt
Hopefully. AMD already catched up which not many expected. If they go chiplets, with their experience from the CPU’s they may be able come to market first with a better implementation.

Associate
BTW the performance in CoD Cold War is also pretty bad on Nvidia cards. Sure you get more FPS but the frames are all over the place even on the 3090. Which shows once again that this generation of video cards in not prepared for 4k Ultra with RT.

Agreed, that is obviously why nvidia is pushing DLSS to as many RT enabled games as possible, DLSS is an amazing feature but for me it has to many limitations to be considered a true solution for high res RT games.

Its clear to me that Hopper / RDNA3 will be the 1st battleground for native 1440p RT style performance, tho I don't think RT will be pushed that hard until the generation after (so now +2 )

Caporegime
That's still no reason to rush into anything and there is no guarantee that the launch and availability will be significantly better than 2020 if the demand is sky high thanks to the 2020 launches. January is still a fine time to buy with more informed decisions.

Associate
Btw Igor has a new tutorial about overclocking the 6800 and 6800xt and you can get to 2.5Ghz and over 18000 Time Spy points on the 6800xt on air.
No, but it's fast AF and pretty much maxing out my 144Hz Ultrawide in rasta(farian) mode when it's boosting to over 2.5Ghz ;)
I see this guy is playing with ray traced shadows and the fps are decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom