Wireless network conundrum

Associate
I’ve bought some Wifi controlled electric wall heaters (not Alexa etc compatible), but I can’t connect them to my Netgear Orbi network.

Think the issue is that the heaters are 2.4 only and the Orbi doesn’t do separate 2.4 and 5 SSIDs, just a single one.

What’s the best way to get a separate 2.4 network?

I was thinking of getting a cheap access point and plugging this in to the Orbi, creating a different SSID, but then would all my devices which will be on the Orbi’s SSID be able to talk to the heaters?

Thanks.

Soldato
That's unlikely to be the problem. Most modern access point can't, or are defaulted to not, connect on the slowest 2.4GHz protocols because they slow down the overall system too much. So if your thermostats are 802.11b or 802.11bg then the modern hub will be blanking them so it doesn't slow everything else down too much.

Soldato
Most IoT devices will only connect via 2.4Ghz.

Is there really not an option to split the ssid? There might be an option to split it, before the option to create it. If there's no option, then I don't see a way around it, new router time?

Associate
OP
Most IoT devices will only connect via 2.4Ghz.

Is there really not an option to split the ssid? There might be an option to split it, before the option to create it. If there's no option, then I don't see a way around it, new router time?

There’s no option on the admin gui, looks like it can be done by connecting via telnet :eek::(

Don’t want to get a new router, this one cost over £300

Soldato
The telnet option seems to be very straightforward if you need to give it a whirl. I’d expect a gui option myself but I’ve seen far more complex methods on other routers.

Soldato
There’s no option on the admin gui, looks like it can be done by connecting via telnet :eek::(

Don’t want to get a new router, this one cost over £300

Have you got an old router? One your ISP supplied for example?

Disconnect current router
Connect old ISP router, set 2.4GHz wifi with same SSID and password
Connect heaters
Disconnect old ISP router
Connect current router

I had to do something similar with my AC units as they needed WAP to connect and my unifi nanoHD AP did not support it.

Soldato

Connect heaters
Connect current router

I had to do something similar with my AC units as they needed WAP to connect and my unifi nanoHD AP did not support it.

How would that work though?

The OP needs the devices connected all the time, not just a one-off. As soon as you've disconnected the old ISP router, then the devices are no longer reachable.

Associate
OP

Connect heaters
Connect current router

I've got an old TP-Link access point I can use.
Will follow the above and turn off/on the wireless on the Orbi instead.

Associate
OP
Update

In the end I bought a cheap TP-Link travel router that just does 2.4Ghz.

I set it up with the same SSID and password as the Orbi and got the heaters to connect to it, I could control them from the app :cool:

Went back to using the Orbi and the heaters now won't connect to the wifi :(

I've managed to get the email address of the people who support the app, will see if they have any ideas, otherwise I'll have to split the networks via telnet.

Caporegime
Do you have the option of returning the heaters? They sound like they just have a straight-up garbage Wi-Fi implementation that is never going to stop giving you problems.

Back
Top Bottom