OC Help on this aging i7 2600K & P8Z68-V/GEN3 Mobo

Associate
So my previous system went bang and not wanting to build my new AMD system until early next year so i was kindly give this mobo and cpu and want to OC it slightly. These are my current OC settings......

xqT0k6L.jpg

vBg0eU2.jpg

PnA7jNm.jpg

anything else i should alter or look at changing slightly??

Associate
Most 2600Ks will do 4.5GHz all day long.

Try Ratio to 45, CPU voltage to 1.28, disable CPU Spread Spectrum. This is assuming you have a reasonable cooler...

Other than that, I can't see any issues with the settings you've posted.

Associate
OP
OK thanks ill disable CPU Spread Spectrum .

Yeah i have the Noctua NH-D15 cooler so should be ok on that front.

So its ok to leave the CPU PLL Voltage on 'Auto'?

Even at only 4.2GHz and 1.25 voltage im getting system crashes after a few minutes when using x264 Stability Test. I was under the impression 1.25v would have been more than enough for just a 4.2 OC?

Last edited:
Soldato
I not long sent the same system to a family member who wanted to play CSGO.

It was running 4.7Ghz stably, with 1.35v using a D14.

You can easily use 1.35v as that is listed as maximum safe voltage. Also set LLC to high (or 1 down from the max) and VCCIO to 1.18v (not 1.8! ;)). Disable CPU spread spectrum and leave everything else at auto including PLL.

Use Realbench to stress test (as it also stresses GPU subsystem) 15min at a time and start from say 4.2Ghz and go up in 100mhz interments until you get instability. Then drop down 100mhz and do an extended test in Realbench, CBr20, x264 stabilty...

Also make sure you've updated to the latest bios before starting.

If you've got a real dog of a CPU then it won't do 4.5Ghz but most will with these settings. If you get addicted to tweaking you can increase the Phase Control to max (Extreme I think) and CPU Current Compatibility to 130%. PLL is funny because tweaking it slightly down i.e. 1.70v as well as slightly up can be beneficial but unless you're going for a 5Ghz then I'd stick to basics. :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks ill give those settings a go.

One question i couldnt work out how to unlocked 'By all cores' setting so i could actually adjust the Multiplier of the CPU it was fixed on 'Auto'!!. The only way i could get it so i can enter in my own value was to run the 'OC Tuner' option which set its own OC and then when the system restarted to go back into the BIOS then i was able to change the multiplier but im not sure what else running the 'OC Tuner' changed in the BIOS???

Also when you say leave PLL on auto, do you mean 'Internal PLL Overvoltage' or 'CPU PLL Voltage'

Last edited:
Soldato
You shouldn't have to run OC Tuner to access this settings. That's strange and I've never had to do so, were you in the latest bios?

I was referring to the CPU PLL. The Internal PLL Overvoltage can help when booting an overclocked CPU so you should leave that enabled.

Let us know how you get on.

Associate
OP
Ah actually i made a mistake its not the PRO version of the motherboard just the standard version, P8Z68-V/GEN3, i was sure it was the PRO version!!!. (ill change the title of the thread if i can)

That might explain why im getting near high 60s on the core when only trying a 4.4ghz OC at 1.28 volts??. Core 3 seems to be getting a good 4-6c hotter than the other cores, is this normal for Skylake CPUs?....maybe the thermal paste didnt spread evenly

Also for Realbench, what do you set the memory usage at 4 or 8GB??

Last edited:
Associate
High 60s under load is perfectly fine! If you're dipping into the 80s then that's maybe pushing it a bit.
It's also common for the cores to heat unevenly- you could try a re-paste but I imagine it's just how this chip is. It's Sandy Bridge, by the way, not Skylake ;)

Try 4.5GHz at the same vcore and see how you get on. Your temps are actually ok.

Soldato
The difference from the Pro to standard will not account for the heat. That difference in core temps is not bad and I have seen it a lot. Often it is down to how the thermal paste is applied though I wouldn't worry too much. You can try applying the thermal paste evenly again and see if it remains the same.

Running Realbench stress test and with a decent cooler you should expect temps to be in the mid 70's using 1.35v. You really don't want it to go into the 80's although that temp is still within TJMax. It's better to use more memory if your system has the amount.

Associate
OP
Ok, I'll do some more testing. I have noticed that the core seem to stick at 4.4ghz even when not stressed, they should be down clocking when idle but dont seem to be for some reason?

Soldato
That features has to enabled elsewhere in the bios, normally called Speedstep but can't check as don't have the system anymore. You can also get the voltage to drop when idling using the offset method but that can introduce instability unless fine tuned properly.

Associate
OP
That features has to enabled elsewhere in the bios, normally called Speedstep but can't check as don't have the system anymore. You can also get the voltage to drop when idling using the offset method but that can introduce instability unless fine tuned properly.

Yeah im sure i have that enabled, ill have a look to make sure

Associate
You'll usually need C-states enabled in BIOS too for Speedstep to work properly. Also check Windows' power settings- if you use high performance profile, the cpu could be running 100% all the time.
(Power options-additional power settings-select profile-change profile settings-minimum processor state)
Also the slider in 'Power Options' (Performance and Energy) needs to be in the middle.

EDIT I see you have C-states on Auto anyway. This will be fine. Check those Windows power settings :D

Back
Top Bottom