• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6800/6800XT/3070/3080 - Best fit?

Associate
Morning folks!

I'm having real trouble deciphering the myriad reviews out there on specs for the new Nvidia GPUs and with Radeon coming out tomorrow, am still none the wiser in terms of which of the above cards would be the best fit for me.

This is my first build, primarily for playing games but my partner also uses photoshop & some other basic design suites & I want to get back into producing music again (ableton, cubase, Pro Tools etc)

I've bought the following, with all apart from the Ryzen 5 in-hand (239th in queue for Ryzen):

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
ASUS ROG Strix B550F
Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB DDR-4 3600MHZ CL18
ADATA XPG SX8200 1TB M2 2280 NVME SSD
Seagate Baracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD
Corsair 750W Fully Modular Power Supply

I also have an LG Ultragear 27-GL850-B monitor which has the following if that helps:
  • Nano IPS 1ms
  • NVIDIA® G-SYNC® Compatible
  • 144Hz
  • HDR 10
  • Adaptive-Sync (FreeSync™)
Any help appreciated

Associate
Well wait for the reviews for the AMD's but if you are pretty much a full on AMD setup anyway a AMD card would probably be the better fit especially if you are getting one of the newer processors.

Associate
Looks like a nice build I would go AMD to take advantage of SAM as you already have the latest AMD CPU. What's your budget for the graphics card?

SAM isn't a proprietary thing (it's a proprietary name for a resizable BAR), and AMD have confirmed they will support Nvidia's implementation of it.

to the OP:

1) what's your budget?
2) are you interested in Ray Tracing or DLSS?

Associate
OP
Hi guys - apologies, I got caught up in the release yesterday going for a 6800 XT (like I had a hope in hell!). Budget is high enough to accomodate a 3090 or similar but I don't want to waste money obviously.. Was I right to go for a 6800 XT? I'm not interested in Ray Tracing (which is a good thing looking at AMD's Nexus review I think!).

Associate
Hi guys - apologies, I got caught up in the release yesterday going for a 6800 XT (like I had a hope in hell!). Budget is high enough to accomodate a 3090 or similar but I don't want to waste money obviously.. Was I right to go for a 6800 XT? I'm not interested in Ray Tracing (which is a good thing looking at AMD's Nexus review I think!).

Yep 6800XT would be a great choice assuming you can get one at a decent price!!

Soldato
OK, well I think it comes down to 1 question. re you looking for the best RT performance?

If you're not too fussed then the 6800XT or 6800 will probably be for you.

If you are fussed about RT than the green team has the better capabilities in this regard.

From what I have seen there is a big difference between a 3070 an a 3080 performance wise.

Associate
OK, well I think it comes down to 1 question. re you looking for the best RT performance?

If you're not too fussed then the 6800XT or 6800 will probably be for you.

If you are fussed about RT than the green team has the better capabilities in this regard.

From what I have seen there is a big difference between a 3070 an a 3080 performance wise.

He already mentioned he is not looking for RT!

Soldato
From the reviews I've seen on the 18th Nov my opinions are:
6800xt for Raster games up to 1440p & maybe 4k.
3080 for RT & 4k.

Currently I have a 2080 & was looking forward to getting a 6800xt but have changed my mind as I like RT & DLSS has been a godsend. Granted, AMD may improve their RT & introduce super resolution but will that happen effectively before the 7000 series?

Looks like AMD have targeted 1440p (which was their key-note anyway) & the 6000 is an impressive jump in performance in a generation but RT is quite poor atm.
Also, it does not appear the cheaper DDR6 with 128mb of infinity cache is enough for 4k.

As I currently have a Ryzen 3600x on a x570 I'm leaning towards an AMD GPU but the uplift in RT performance (if any) from my current 2080 does not justify a 6800xt -can it play the game Control at 4k RT? Currently I get 60fps in 4k (DLSS 1080p) in ultra with all RT bar shadows... Being as Control is a RT monster & a sign of things to come.
I will get a 5600 for 5900 CPU when available.

If Cyberpunk flunks out on my 2080 I may get a 3080 unless AMD double their RT performance in a few weeks.
If I currently had a 1080ti or nothing like yourself I'd consider a 6800xt & hope for the best.

Associate
OP
Thanks sincerely for all your replies.

I had an absolute nightmare on release day - an experience which I’m sure many on here shared.. I’m increasingly feeling I’ll struggle to get a 6800xt (although remain hopeful at the least for the 25th). Failing that though,what would you guys do - wait?

I know it sounds so impatient but in complete honesty, I have very little else to concern myself with during lockdown outside work, walking the dog and watching tv with the other half.. that coupled with the growing pile of components is giving me an itch I really want to scratch!

Is there a gpu I could perhaps pick up that would perform well in the short term whilst I wait for stock to calm a bit?

I’ve had an email saying my Ryzen 5600x is expected to arrive on 18th December (subject to change) from a competitor, and am below 200 in the queue here also (don’t ask - will cancel the other as soon as one is delivered). Once that arrives, all I’ll be after is the GPU..

Looking forward to your thoughts. Happy Friday folks

Associate
OP
Just on the above folks, if I struggle to get the card I want, is there any negative fallout from installing a GPU I know I wont be using long term?

Associate
Just on the above folks, if I struggle to get the card I want, is there any negative fallout from installing a GPU I know I wont be using long term?

No not at all just if you are switching from an Nvidia card to an AMD or vice versa then make sure you fully remove the old graphics drivers first before installing the new ones

Back
Top Bottom