The UK Date format being replaced by the US style.

Soldato
I agree, a chain is 22 yards as is a cricket pitch, there are 1760 yards in a mile and eight furlongs also make up a mile so there are 220 yards in a furlong or ten cricket pitches.
There are 16 ounces in a pound, 14 pounds make a stone, 112 pounds make a hundredweight. But a pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter meaning there are 20 fluid ounces in a pint. A gill is a quarter of a pint or four fluid ounces. So the old Scottish measure of a quarter gill is one fluid ounce.

Life was so much simpler before kilograms and meters.:D

In my experience, the best things come in pints and ounces.

You only have to look at your average smackhead to see why grams are bad news.

Soldato
In my experience, the best things come in pints and ounces.

You only have to look at your average smackhead to see why grams are bad news.
And I admit my error being too clever by half, or a quarter. In Britain, a gill is in fact five fluid ounces nobody noticed but yes, our cousins in the states use four but we know better. My apologies to the Scots for understating their measure.
And yes grams are no good for you whereas an ounce of Gold Flake will set you up for the day.

Associate
yy/mm/dd is the only format we should be using. even operating systems prefer it as it can properly order on year objects, then month objects, then day objects in both ascending and descending.

Caporegime
Its beyond irritating and even worse when you spell it right way and the ever present yanks on the site tell you you're dong it wrong...

but its just whats happening just like "math" appearing everywhere even in classrooms... its mathS FFS! Plural. We also adopted the american billion at some point since I was a kid.

Only our Government officially adopted it for stats and reporting in 1974 to avoid confusion.

In the rest of the country it still tended to be used as a "million million".

Interesting that its only English speaking countries in the world who have now adapted to using the short scale version of a billion and the rest of the non english world still use the long scale version.

Must be confusing when doing business between these countries.

Soldato
Took me years to get used to it, I kept writing it the British way when filling in paperwork.

I quickly learned to start speaking like an American once I moved here because it was simply easier to make myself understood. I say words like, "waarder", "dayder", "shedule", "restroom", and "gasoline"; much to the chagrin of some of my family members who still speak with a very British accent.

Soldato
Because most of the time it's 1/4 cup, 1/8 cup etc which means you're doing maths just to follow a recipe. Why not, you know just say 200ml or 150ml or whatever?
Because you may want to stick it to the Froggies and their metric system, which is why you can get a cheap set of measuring cups that go from tsp through tbsp, ¼,½, ¾ and 1 cup.
If you want to be properly correct according to British culinary custom, though, you should do all your ingredients by weight.

Associate
At work we have multiple setups and use of the dates (Global company), so can be confusing , there's no standard method adopted.
When I open spreadsheets up that other people input to they use different methods for dates and have to go and check to be consistent.
I've resorted to using the date format in full ie 20th Nov 2020 where possible i.e. emails etc just to avoid issues

But filing wise I use the ISO standard YYYY/MM/DD - as mentioned previously much easier to sort and manage data.

Soldato
mm/dd/yyyy is just retarded, I don't get it. It's like having minutes/seconds/hours.

As above we use YYYYMMDD for project folders and the like, but at least that's still in 'size' order.

Back
Top Bottom