• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics Cards overpriced! What is your max price?

Associate
I can afford an RTX3090, but it's not offering enough value for money.

I'd like an RTX3080 and would pay around £650.

I'd consider a 3070 at around MSRP.

I am sticking with my GTX1070. If the new cards don't fall back to MSRP I'll be keeping my credit card in my wallet. I tend to play slightly older games anyway, and my 1070 is still performing well. Patience is a virtue when it comes to PC gaming - older games run really well on decent hardware, older games have been patched and therefore have less bugs, older games cost £not a lot.

Soldato
Honestly once they all went up in price to a new tier it was game over for the most part. Low end for me is the £200-£250 price point (5700xt/3060 level), mid level around the £300-£350 (6800/3070 level), high end around the £450-£500 (6800xt/3080 level), ultra level around the £650-£700 mark (6900xt/3090). That is where I would say I would truly be happy with the increased price to performance ratio. Unfortunately that isn't close to what we are getting with generally all prices around the £100-£150 higher level to those in just FE/Reference boards and being almost double for most part on AIB.

I have caved and if I can find an 3080FE at the £649 or 6800xt at the £599 mark I will purchase as I want an upgrade but I can't justify anything over that at all.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
My monthly train ticket between home and London was about £450 before I started working from home permanently in March.

Given that I'm saving the rough equivalent of a PS5 every month, and that I'm building a high end gaming PC from scratch, what matters to me is paying good money for good tech. So far I haven't really seen anything worth buying in this generation of video cards.

Yeah depends how you can deflect the money issue. I am not spending a full tank of diesel each week to work but I dont seem to be any better off. ;) Dont ask me to go back to normal workplace though 'cos the answers no now that im WFH! :D

What is the actual price of the 6800 non Xt without gouging.. £549?? If so and they could be flashed to a 6800 Xt no issues that would be my limit and would last me the next few years at 4k.

Yes but that's not the AIB prices as we have yet to see them so yours is starting RRP from reference design.

Soldato
Honestly I feel both cards are crap value.

NVIDIA has a slightly gimped VRAM offering, DLSS which only applies to a handful of games as a unique selling point.
AMD has inferior RT performance, no DLSS and just a half-baked explanation of what super resolution will offer us.

I personally think buying a GPU the year or the year before consoles gets released always sucks.

I remember I did it with my GTX670 and you just end up getting such crap longevity but oh well.

Associate
Basically about what the MRSP is for the 3080. Still torn about what to go for (no particular brand loyalty, coming from a 1070 so even a 3070 would be a noticeable jump) but only really ruled out the very top tier specification cards (3090, 6900XT when it comes) and the more overpriced AIBs on price grounds.

Man of Honour
Same. I tried to snag a 6800XT but failed. I think all of the cards are overpriced, but im still stuck in 2012. :D

Inserted TNA microcode to predict banter comment.

I'm still stuck in 2013 aside from managing to snag a 3070 FE. But 2013 X79 platform holds up ridiculous well.

Associate
Without DLSS yeah that sounds about right. With DLSS I can see it being 60fps.

I do hope so too.
Anyway from memory when the Witcher 3 was released the only thing it was light on was vram usage.
No GPU could run it 60fps @ 1080p.....

Man of Honour
I cant comment (positively) about your decision on the card, concur with the rest. :)

Seems best of a bad deal at the moment and I don't need 3080 FE performance though I'd have probably gone for one if available. Blow spending any more than £470 for a 3070 and nothing else has availability.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Seems best of a bad deal at the moment and I don't need 3080 FE performance though I'd have probably gone for one if available. Blow spending any more than £470 for a 3070 and nothing else has availability.

Its an OK card depending on where you were coming from. If its pre-Turing then its a good card for you. As I have 4k display or game at 1440p if required I would have gone 6800 to cover that base. When you factor in non FE prices the 6800 is about the same.

Have you got it already or waiting?

Permabanned
I was geared up to spend 650 ish this month but it's kinda dawned on me that the games I still get most enjoyment out of all run fine on my 1080 at 1440p and g sync.

I imagine even Cyberpunk will be perfectly playable. But chances are I'll get that game on a Series x or Ps5 anyway.

Same here, A 5700XT at 1440p with Freesync 2 isn't going to start tanking anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom