**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Caporegime
I think 10 maybe? I generally replace tyres at 3mm.

They have 8mm when new. Most passenger car tyres do aside from semi slicks which often come with 6.5mm~ (sometimes less)

I usually replace at 2.5mm if I ever keep a car long enough to wear the tyres out... But sooner than that if they are rubbish and I can't wait to get them off. :p

Soldato
I was incredibly impressed by what my Michelin PS4S tyres could do in terms of grip and longevity.

However, the regular PS4's on my girlfriends car haven't worn well at all. She's got a standard Audi A3 2.0tdi and the front tyres have lasted about 14k miles. Now, the rear 4S's on my 400bhp E92 M3 were up to about 23k and counting, so i'm a bit disappointed that the 4's are down to their wear markers in just under a year on a much less powerful car. We both do the same route to and from work and she drives sedately, compared to me who enjoyed the performance of the car and even did a track day on them.

Soldato
Kwik fit black Friday deals on premium tyres:

SAVE 10%

on 2 premium tyres or

SAVE 20%

on 4 premium tyres online

Use code: KFBF

Soldato
BC is a bit better for me, 15% off all mich/gdyr TODAY ONLY, the KF deal on 4 had improved by 5% from earlier in week.

ATS euromaster BC use, is, also, much closer to me.

Associate
Goodyear eagle F1's fitted all round on the mx5 yesterday. Tyres on the drive had 15 % off so went with them on black friday. No problems with fitting and balancing that I can see, although the pressures were all at 33.5 psi and should have been 29. Felt a lot better when I took them back down to 29. I can detect a much stiffer sidewall on asy 5's than 3's

Soldato
kwik-fit & National never previously asked what pressure I want, but the man from ATS just did.

seems daft they can't meet the price of the blackcircle tyres I had fitted there - how did the industry let this happen, or they do get a good kick-back.

Soldato
I was incredibly impressed by what my Michelin PS4S tyres could do in terms of grip and longevity.

However, the regular PS4's on my girlfriends car haven't worn well at all. She's got a standard Audi A3 2.0tdi and the front tyres have lasted about 14k miles. Now, the rear 4S's on my 400bhp E92 M3 were up to about 23k and counting, so i'm a bit disappointed that the 4's are down to their wear markers in just under a year on a much less powerful car. We both do the same route to and from work and she drives sedately, compared to me who enjoyed the performance of the car and even did a track day on them.
Issues with alignment will kill the tyres in no time.

Caporegime
Oh dear! Previous 535D had Hankooks on which seemed to last ages, no doubt cheaper than Pirellis as well?

They will probably be fine, crap is unfair, not equivalent to other premium options would be more accurate. :)

Certainly not ditchfinders, but closer to being a middle-of-the-road tyre than a premium tyre, but with a premium price tag.

I've only had then on zippy FWD hatchbacks and wasnt too enamoured with them, but I think Fox had them on one of his 5 series' when he got it. He can probably give you a better idea of how they feel on a big RWD car.

I cant tag him cos of his daft username with brackets in it... :p

Soldato
They will probably be fine, crap is unfair, not equivalent to other premium options would be more accurate. :)

Certainly not ditchfinders, but closer to being a middle-of-the-road tyre than a premium tyre, but with a premium price tag.

I've only had then on zippy FWD hatchbacks and wasnt too enamoured with them, but I think Fox had them on one of his 5 series' when he got it. He can probably give you a better idea of how they feel on a big RWD car.

I cant tag him cos of his daft username with brackets in it... :p
Yeah I always seemed to get Contis on previous new Beemers which seemed good. The new car has 20inch wheels, which I didn't want but got a mega deal so no choice, 18s would have been fine.

Man of Honour
My 530d did Indeed come from the factory on Pzero and they were awful.

However a new much better version was released a couple of years ago and I'd imagine your new car will have those. They are hard to tell apart, mind!

Soldato
What's the deal with all season tyres? I'm due some replacements on my car and was going to go with Asymmetric 5s as I find them a decent tyre but just wanted a sanity check before I get them as a few people have recommended I get something like the CrossClimates. The Goodyears seem to perform much better for my usual driving conditions in the wet and dry and it seems a bit pointless paying more for tyres just on the off chance of 1 day of snow a year when they aren't quite as good in the conditions I'll see the other 99% of the time.

Underboss
if your like me that drives at 5am over winter and in snow (if it ever comes) / Ice
Cross Climates are brilliant

There's a cross climate 2 on its way (already out in the EU) worth waiting for

or you could get
Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-2

Associate
It's situational I think, For one you look at the conditions you drive in, but remember if you drive in summer conditions much the wear will be increased. Also the car matters, if it's difficult without them it could be worth investing, particularly on a rear wheel drive car but myself if I had a front wheel drive car which should have more traction, i'd be inclined to stay on standard tyres unless it's really bad, especially since on a front wheel drive the front tyres will wear even faster still in normal conditions.
A bit lucky myself as the asymmetric 5's on my car can have the speed rating of V thanks to the lower top speed, they work slightly better at lower operating temperatures so it's better in the wet, but obviously an MX5 in the snow is always going to be a bit of a ditchfinder

Soldato
I've only got a 1.6 DS3 so although remapped, it's not a massive amount of power. It very rarely snows or gets icy here in Liverpool either although I do travel to North Wales and the Lakes quite a bit in the winter but I've never previously struggled there. I'll probably stick to what I know as the CrossClimates are about £20 more a wheel and I'll only see the benefit of them a few days a year anyway.

Back
Top Bottom