Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Soldato
@Usher sometimes when a loading screen looks like it's taking too long I just press a key on the keyboard and it triggers it to finish. I can hear a change in the volume when I do this and when I move the controller stick for the first time afterwards I hear it again.

The game is overdue a patch.

That doesn't work for me, this is really baffling, I wonder if the SSD that the game is on might be going faulty? maybe I should uninstall and download it on the primary drive

Associate
As someone whos never played AC and dont quite fancy forking out £50 just yet for Valhalla, whats the best older one to buy for an intro to the series?

Soldato
I thought it might be interesting to leave the animus and see if there was anything to do in the modern world. I find it amusing that when you press the button to leave the animus a message pops up saying basically "are you really sure you want to leave the animus"... Its like they know if anyone presses that it is probably a mistake!

There are a lot of references to Covid in the modern part!

Edit-- hmmm. Some interesting emails and voice recordings. Anyone interested in the overall lore of AC, it's worth coming out of the animus and checking it out(it's all nonsense of course)

Last edited:
Soldato
As someone whos never played AC and dont quite fancy forking out £50 just yet for Valhalla, whats the best older one to buy for an intro to the series?

Of the newer ones, Origins, easily. It was the first and a breath of fresh air. Still has the best setting and is the most detailed. Great map with reasonable amount of stuff to do without being overbearing.

Odyssey has decent atmosphere and better sidequests but the map and busywork were pretty terrible IMO. So much cookie-cutter stuff that it's not even funny. It felt more like an exercise in patience than actual exploration. Like, how many times can you get yourself to explore the same bandit cave or temple? Lots of water with generally similar feeling islands ridden with copy&paste assets. It felt big just for the sake of it. And It's also the least AC out of the three with the worst combat and grind.

Not saying it isn't worth playing but I'd definitely start with Origins. Odyssey is just more of the same but with more floaty animations and a whole lot of needless bloat. I enjoyed it for a while but was sick of it halfway through.

Associate
Has there been many optimisation patches since release? I've been keeping and eye on it as I have played both Origins and Odyssey. My system has a strix 3090 and a I9 9900k so the game would run fine but it would annoy me if the performance isn't as good as it should be (I realise its an AMD optimised title).

I loved Kassandra in Odyssey, from what I read in regards to a likeable character it looks like the male voice actor nails it this time and is the better choice?

Soldato
Just had a ridiculous glitch. Did the leaping attack move on a guard when infiltrating a tower in East Anglia and jumped half way across the map to Kingsbury I think. I haven't even discovered that area yet.

Soldato
Just had a ridiculous glitch. Did the leaping attack move on a guard when infiltrating a tower in East Anglia and jumped half way across the map to Kingsbury I think. I haven't even discovered that area yet.

thumb_chillblintorn-guess-ill-die-daniel-when-darius-the-meade-decreed-39976345.png

Soldato
If anyone wants to cheese getting the end game upgrade materials you need early level!

East of Glowecestrescire there is a fork in the road. At top of hill 3 enemies spawn, one carried 3-4 Titanium and Tungsten. He walked away from the other two 50% of the time so could simply assassinate him, loot, quick save and fast load and he will respawn over and over. Worked well on board work conference call and netted about 400 Titanium bits and 150 tungsten bits in about 45 mins

Personally put assassination on which is cheest, but am low level. Imagine it may be patched out eventually

Has there been many optimisation patches since release? I've been keeping and eye on it as I have played both Origins and Odyssey. My system has a strix 3090 and a I9 9900k so the game would run fine but it would annoy me if the performance isn't as good as it should be (I realise its an AMD optimised title).

I loved Kassandra in Odyssey, from what I read in regards to a likeable character it looks like the male voice actor nails it this time and is the better choice?

It runs fine for me with a 3090, most things maxed with few tweaks nets me around 80 FPS on average on a 4k OLED. Sure not as good as the 6800XT which seem to nicely outpace the 3090 at 1080p and 1440p, but still does very well.

You can shift between the male and female so go for whatever you want. Abit does break immersion abit I suppose.

Associate
Had my first CTD, no hiccups or anything just closed with no error or anything... hoping its a one-off
though 1 CTD in 20hours

@Radox-0 if you want to cheese that much it would be better to use a trainer and have all the materials you'll ever need in the click of a button lol.. im interested to know though, does upgrading your gear too early just make you really OP?

Soldato
Had my first CTD, no hiccups or anything just closed with no error or anything... hoping its a one-off
though 1 CTD in 20hours

@Radox-0 if you want to cheese that much it would be better to use a trainer and have all the materials you'll ever need in the click of a button lol.. im interested to know though, does upgrading your gear too early just make you really OP?

Not do not want use a trainer thanks. There is two parts to upgrading your gear. The blacksmith which does the cosmetic changes which is where the items I list above come in mostly. The upgrading it by in inventory, You still need to earn all the cloth, ore etc the lower and mid level items to do those upgrades which will take a while to earn regardless, so no does not make you OP. by the time you earn enough of those to level up the items will be plenty of hours in and powered up. Am at 40 hours and by this point game is easy no matter what. Infact was easy about 10 hours in. Only difference is the armor while not levelled up stats wise as I do not have enough material, does look badass aesthetically!

Perks of this game, play how you want. I jumped for the neat swords and armor and not yet started any story arcs, explored all the sync points, while other flat out go through story etc. Heck know of places as some people spoiled in thread they got to few hours in I did not know where in game!

Last edited:
Associate
Not do not want use a trainer thanks. There is two parts to upgrading your gear. The blacksmith which does the cosmetic changes which is where the items I list above come in mostly. The upgrading it by in inventory, You still need to earn all the cloth, ore etc the lower and mid level items to do those upgrades which will take a while to earn regardless, so no does not make you OP. by the time you earn enough of those to level up the items will be plenty of hours in and powered up. Am at 40 hours and by this point game is easy no matter what. Infact was easy about 10 hours in. Only difference is the armor while not levelled up stats wise as I do not have enough material, does look badass aesthetically!

Perks of this game, play how you want. I jumped for the neat swords and armor and not yet started any story arcs, explored all the sync points, while other flat out go through story etc. Heck know of places as some people spoiled in thread they got to few hours in I did not know where in game!

ah thats fair enough, i didnt want to do something that makes me 1 shot everything at my level so its good to know

also just read over what i wrote and can see it might come across as me judging you for doing that, which isn't the case at all.. i was just suggesting it because i know 45 mins of reloading, killing, reloading etc couldnt have been fun lol
single player is all about your own experience, make it as easy or hard as you like :)

Soldato
ah thats fair enough, i didnt want to do something that makes me 1 shot everything at my level so its good to know

also just read over what i wrote and can see it might come across as me judging you for doing that, which isn't the case at all.. i was just suggesting it because i know 45 mins of reloading, killing, reloading etc couldnt have been fun lol
single player is all about your own experience, make it as easy or hard as you like :)

Nah totally understand :). Probs my initial post making it sound like you can go wild and upgrade everything in instantly. Even now need so much of the other material, acts as a bottleneck to actually improving the stats side of things. only after about 50 hours did I have enough material to upgrade a set to max.

Oh yeah would be boring doing that over and over. Why I did it on an even more boring work call with headset on :p

Back
Top Bottom