• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU Wars:Who is winning?

Soldato
for some people it's an almost dogmatic adherence to the correctness of the "old ways", even if the end result is nigh identical but far more performance efficient.

I personally like and use DLSS (when it's actually available), but it's funny to see how AMD/console upscaling was "cheating" and "faking it" - then nVidia do the same thing and suddenly it's "digital enhancement" ;) As good as upscaling ever gets though, it is still upscaling and not native and they'll never be the same thing.

Soldato
I personally like and use DLSS (when it's actually available), but it's funny to see how AMD/console upscaling was "cheating" and "faking it" - then nVidia do the same thing and suddenly it's "digital enhancement" ;) As good as upscaling ever gets though, it is still upscaling and not native and they'll never be the same thing.
It is the same camp of people used to say “intel is the best gaming CPU” and now saying “intel cpu gives the best value” and when ryzen was offer even better value and zen2 still does offer greater value than intel parts, they sort of don’t mind the whole “value” badge thing.

The hypocrisy of it all. No need really.

This is the thing with technology especially when we have competition. One of the two companies is going to out do the other at certain fields this time round then the position will swap. All those grand standing just make one look silly.

Soldato
The best one so far was someone saying that FPS was high enough and we should focus on other things like RT. I nearly fell out of my chair laughing.

Soldato
In my mind both the 3080 and 6800XT 4K/60 nearly every single title comfortably.

The issue comes with games which require RT, where both suffer huge FPS drops. For every RT title so far, we have DLSS, which is a massive bonus alongside more powerful RT tech for NVIDIA fans. However the jury is out of DLSS will be supported on EVERY RT game released from here on forwards. If its not, then DLSS indeed becomes a bit of a bonus feature rather than one which should guide purchasing decisions.

AMD are a half-baked package aslong as we don't know what super resolution does and which games it applies to. Its clear the AMD RT solution isn't ideal. Now, if their super resolution can be applied to EVERY game, then put quite simply.. they kind of win. But the jury is out for that too as we have no information on it whatsoever and whether it comes close to DLSS 2.0.

Soldato
The issue comes with games which require RT, where both suffer huge FPS drops. For every RT title so far, we have DLSS, which is a massive bonus alongside more powerful RT tech for NVIDIA fans. However the jury is out of DLSS will be supported on EVERY RT game released from here on forwards. If its not, then DLSS indeed becomes a bit of a bonus feature rather than one which should guide purchasing decisions.
Dirt 5? Godfall? World of warcraft? Potentially Far cry 6?

Soldato
How many FPS do you want? Two hundred? Five hundred? One thousand?
All of them.

Edit: Just for clarification for you, the reason i was laughing was because after how many years (decades?) of we need more FPS, as soon as AMD starts winnning more FPS is no longer important.

Last edited:
Soldato

Yeah exactly. As I said.. this is the issue with the NVIDIA proprietry DLSS model.

If AMD do somehow invent a model which can apply to ALL games they will be ahead for a short while before NVIDIA copy and refine it.

Soldato
We'll know who's winning when the steam survey is out

We'll know in 2 years which GPU ended being best for each resolution with RT on (if it becomes mainstream).

I couldn't care less who sells more or less GPUs via a Steam Survey. I just care about which GPU is best for my use-case.

Permabanned

TBH, I didn't know Dirt 5 had RT when first looking at it. Infact I'm still unsure if it has RT looking at the videos. Godfall doesn't do a great job either with RT. The devs have already said WOW only does RT shadows. That leaves Far cry 6, a series that went down hill fast after the 2nd. Again it will be yet another title held back by AMD's poor RT showing.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that Cyberpunk delivers on the RT effects. Something to beat Quake 2 RTX.

Soldato
Agreed. It's a good time to be a reseller, not so much as a consumer.

I don't know about that. Scalper cards aren't moving like they used to. It's been a couple weeks now where there are *always* 3080's available on the jungle site. They used to disappear in an instance...overpiced an all.

Scalper 3090's are outright plentiful now. Multiple buying options for multiple individual SKU's.

It's difficult to see because it's happening so slowly, but things are getting better.

Back
Top Bottom