• Digital Only Version

Votes: 170 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 659 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.6%

• Total voters
Soldato
Mine doesn’t charge the controller from the front usb. All appropriate settings enabled. Works fine from the rear USB’s.

saying that though my Series X didn’t charge the dual sense from the front usb either. Maybe it’s the design of the motherboards that’s very similar and neither of them can do it from that port?

Associate
My Curry’s order which was set to dispatched three days ago has now been changed back to ‘in progress’ :D Curry’s really don’t seem to know what is going on...

Seems to be the way of things ; the status is no real indication of what is really happening. Mine has oscillated between order confirmed / in progress / on hold. And I have two expected dates for delivery ; one by 25th November and another no later than the 15th December.

Associate
My Curry’s order which was set to dispatched three days ago has now been changed back to ‘in progress’ :D Curry’s really don’t seem to know what is going on...

Same. I've checked everywhere I can think of online and no one knows what they're playing at, apart from suggestions it's just to keep hold of payment (which doesn't make sense) and is essentially ********.

Soldato

Same. I've checked everywhere I can think of online and no one knows what they're playing at, apart from suggestions it's just to keep hold of payment (which doesn't make sense) and is essentially ********.

Guessing you’ve followed the massive thread on hotukdeals? Best assumption is in progress = dispatched in a day or so.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussi...d-subscribe-3544651?page=1028#thread-comments

Associate
Soldato

That's crazy hot. What the heck is it doing?!

Soldato
There is reports on reddit of crashes that match a pattern of unstable o/c hardware. (all these people have no external storage, just games crashing to dashboard). I think sony have an issue here, probably fixable via software though by clamping clock speeds.

Depends what the problem is. Gamers Nexus showed the SOC running at 70c, that should not cause any issues as AMD's SOC's are rated for 95c (so reducing clock speed wont help). The issue is the VRAM/RAM modules, they don't make any contact with the heatsink - instead they make contact to a thermally poor aluminum frame and to make matters worse, Steve says half the memory units don't even make proper contact with the frame so they have very high hot spot temps.

The only quick solution I can think of is for Sony to increase the fan speed to try and get more airflow over the VRAM. A long term fix requires an engineering solution - those VRAM modules need to make contact with the heatsink.

That's crazy hot. What the heck is it doing?!

They are standard GDDR6 VRAM modules, the issue is that they don't make contact with the heatsink and the fan is not pushing enough airflow over them to compensate

Soldato
So much for that huge heatsink. Ok sure later revisions will fix this, but what about launch consoles...you would have thought they would have picked this up in testing.

Soldato
Depends what the problem is. Gamers Nexus showed the SOC running at 70c, that should not cause any issues as AMD's SOC's are rated for 95c (so reducing clock speed wont help). The issue is the VRAM/RAM modules, they don't make any contact with the heatsink - instead they make contact to a thermally poor aluminum frame and to make matters worse, Steve says half the memory units don't even make proper contact with the frame so they have very high hot spot temps.

The only quick solution I can think of is for Sony to increase the fan speed to try and get more airflow over the VRAM. A long term fix requires an engineering solution - those VRAM modules need to make contact with the heatsink.

They are standard GDDR6 VRAM modules, the issue is that they don't make contact with the heatsink and the fan is not pushing enough airflow over them to compensate

I know they're able to run that hot, and I get why they're not being cooled as much as possible, but it seems a rather big oversight. In a room that's 21 degrees that's crazy. It makes you wonder what will happen now that central heating systems are going to be kicking in. I can't believe that they've spent so much time coming up with a quiet and efficient cooling solution, only to have completely forgotten that RAM runs very hot without cooling.

Associate
I’ve had the rest mode bug twice now. Digital edition and probably not quitting games.

power it on from rest mode using the controller and the screen goes blank with no light on the console. Wait a minute and power the console and the screen comes up with repairing the DB. Seems to complete after a few seconds and go in.

Soldato
I’ve had the rest mode bug twice now. Digital edition and probably not quitting games.

power it on from rest mode using the controller and the screen goes blank with no light on the console. Wait a minute and power the console and the screen comes up with repairing the DB. Seems to complete after a few seconds and go in.

I've had it and I've not used rest mode once!

It's something Sony need to address quickly.

Soldato
So much for that huge heatsink. Ok sure later revisions will fix this, but what about launch consoles...you would have thought they would have picked this up in testing.

Just screams of rushed/pushed for higher clocks to compete to me. The poor design of the ram cooling is just stupid really with all the space they have available a better solution should have been easy to implement.

It will be interesting to see how it holds up in the long term it might not be an issue but running something at its temp max constantly does not bode well for long lasting.

Upping the fan speed would help create more airflow but then it’s no longer quite. Which when your competitors machine is and your last was described as a jet engine I cannot see them doing tbh.

Associate
I changed from a wireless mouse to a wired mouse because I got fed up with having to change/charge the AA batteries every week or so... :o

Putting the Dualsense it it's charging dock whenever it's not being used is just so much less hassle :D
Things have moved on since you had your wireless mouse, my G305 takes a single AA battery and lasts 6+ months. Flawless wireless connection too.

Soldato
My Currys 8am order was saying "Dispatched" for a few days and I just kinda forgot about it. I checked again for the first time about 10 mins ago and it had changed to "On Hold" which made me think it'll either be cancelled (due to over selling) or I'll be getting December stock.

But then as I was writing this post, I just happened to refresh the page and now it's saying "In Progress." Don't know what to expect anymore lol.

Back
Top Bottom