• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any Reason to buy intel?

Associate
Not quite true.

There is Zen3+ coming out later on AM4.

Please double check this, and link . Zen3+ for desktop doesn't appear on any roadmaps I've seen and AMD have made clear that Zen 4 is due in 2021 and is going to be DDR5, which obviously can't be AM4.
I've seen speculation from commentors that the chiplet architecture means they could in principle backport Zen4 to AM4 , but as far as I can see there doesn't seem to be a good commercial reason to do it.

Soldato
tbh they both produce around the same temps.
you need a decent 280/360 aio.

for games its very hard to beat an OC'd 10900k/kf
no matter what the youtubers say hopefully we shall see some fair results soon clocked vs clocked.

frame chasers is waiting on his 5950x to go toe to toe with his 5.4ghz/cl17-4400ram/49cache in warzone.

also,
a lot of the chips currently are having a fair amount of a whea errors on zen3 when pushed at higher IF and mem. a couple of guys in my other group already corrupted their os.
intel just seems much more polished to me

You don’t need an AIO with either to be fair, but don’t confuse temp with heat output. Intel pull significantly more power and produce more heat.

Also, overclocking is risky. Push too far and windows will fail over regardless of CPU brand.

Associate
for games its very hard to beat an OC'd 10900k/kf

That's kinda the point though - outside of some quite artificial benchmarks (which intel was using to claim gaming supremacy), you're almost always GPU-bound. And now AMD have beaten intel on those artificial benchmarks too.

(edit: So now we can go back to saying that you'll be fine with more or less any of the modern processors. But if you really want the best, go AMD, if you can get hold of them!)

Permabanned
If GPU power is king then you want PCIE4 for futureproofing and newer SSD. Intel seems to lack this. People say Rocket Lake but as of yet there is no proof or show and tell and AMD have an actual PCE 4.0 platform.

Soldato
Please double check this, and link . Zen3+ for desktop doesn't appear on any roadmaps I've seen and AMD have made clear that Zen 4 is due in 2021 and is going to be DDR5, which obviously can't be AM4.
I've seen speculation from commentors that the chiplet architecture means they could in principle backport Zen4 to AM4 , but as far as I can see there doesn't seem to be a good commercial reason to do it.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....en-roadmap-warhol-zen-3-refresh-zen-4-raphael

Associate
Well tickle me, happy to have learned a thing :) Though it doesnt appear that Warhol is confirmed for AM4 it certainly looks promising.

Associate
with 3090's installed, the intel will pull more and high fps still, just need to find the decent reviewer benchmarks as most guys who do these these run like 3200/3600mhz memory
with intel you need the 4400.

amd so far best scores ive seen are 5950x with cl12 3200mhz.
even beat his 3600 cl16 stuff.

Soldato
I have honestly hovered over the buy button for both a 10900k and 5900x(I have a 5800x due for delivery next week but thinking of canceling) but keep thinking to myself that now like Z490, AM4 is a dead platform and I’m just wasting my money, I might as well wait until next year where I’m at least not on a dead platform, plus my 9900k isn’t exactly slow

Soldato
I have honestly hovered over the buy button for both a 10900k and 5900x(I have a 5800x due for delivery next week but thinking of canceling) but keep thinking to myself that now like Z490, AM4 is a dead platform and I’m just wasting my money, I might as well wait until next year where I’m at least not on a dead platform, plus my 9900k isn’t exactly slow

As you already have a 9900k I'd wait for second gen AM5. Bugs ironed out and cheaper DDR5.

Permabanned
with 3090's installed, the intel will pull more and high fps still, just need to find the decent reviewer benchmarks as most guys who do these these run like 3200/3600mhz memory
with intel you need the 4400.

amd so far best scores ive seen are 5950x with cl12 3200mhz.
even beat his 3600 cl16 stuff.

Well with Raytracing 4k in WoW Shadowlands the 6800XT beat the 3090 by 8fps avg and 17fps on the 0.1%. This was with Ryzen + SAM + OC. The 3800x was one of the best cpu too at 1080p it beat the 5950x.

Caporegime
Well everyones raving about the 5600X but intel offered a 6/12 core CPU in the 8700K which is just 10% slower in games and cost only £50 more than this over 3 years ago yet people say intel is poor value.

Also the 10400F holds its own in games even against a 5600X which costs over twice as much. If the 5600X was an Intel CPU and the 10400F was AMD then everyone would be saying to get the 10400F as not worth paying double for overpriced Intel.

I would like to have seen them use a faster GPU, i suspect most of that is down to the GPU being the limit, the 2080TI is really only a mid range GPU these days.

Caporegime
thing is if people take bias out of it and just plug in play and the whole factor why people are disregarding intel cpus is a bit daft.

amd new cpus. over priced. heatttttttttttt. balance of memory , tweaking. not much if any difference to a intel counter part in actual daily use. for 99 percent of people.
intel cpu. now mainly cheaper put it in and works with no tweaking. cooler most of the time.

Caporegime
thing is if people take bias out of it and just plug in play and the whole factor why people are disregarding intel cpus is a bit daft.

amd new cpus. over priced. heatttttttttttt. balance of memory , tweaking. not much if any difference to a intel counter part in actual daily use. for 99 percent of people.
intel cpu. now mainly cheaper put it in and works with no tweaking. cooler most of the time.

Well lets be honest here.

Intel loses in gaming, productivity and power consumption.

Other than price, i haven't looked recently but i think you can get an overclockable 6 core 12 thread from Intel that is cheaper than the 5600X? but is also in every measurable way worse, other than a budget alternative what are Intel for now?

Back
Top Bottom