• Digital Only Version

Votes: 170 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 659 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.6%

• Total voters
Soldato
Just screams of rushed/pushed for higher clocks to compete to me. The poor design of the ram cooling is just stupid really with all the space they have available a better solution should have been easy to implement.

It will be interesting to see how it holds up in the long term it might not be an issue but running something at its temp max constantly does not bode well for long lasting.

Upping the fan speed would help create more airflow but then it’s no longer quite. Which when your competitors machine is and your last was described as a jet engine I cannot see them doing tbh.
Amusing you think that Sony can just suddenly overclock their chip over 2.3GHz on a whim and still have anything approaching decent yields. The PS5 would have been designed to run at those clocks a long time ago.

Do you not think Sony have tested the PS5 in various different ambient temperatures and conditions?

Outside of a handful of faulty consoles which affects any piece of technology ever released, I've yet to see anything other than software issues affecting either console which considering what's been going on this year, isn't a shock.

Soldato
The cooling for the SOC great it’s just other components around it especially the ram that are not getting decent cooling. Upping the GPU clocks causes more heat and other components to heat up too. Sony don’t have the greatest reputation with hardware the PS Pro runs hot and loud and surely that was tested prior to being released.

I’m not saying it’s going to cause issues it’s just not a very good design and considering the size they should have had plenty of room for excellent all component cooling.

Will be interesting to see what they find with the Series X and S.

Soldato
There is always going to be a percentage of faulty products, it's just magnified at launch with so many people getting them at the same time.

A few vocal people on Twitter doesn't make this the next red ring of death, at least for now, there could be a serious issue and we just don't know. Time will tell.

Soldato
Well as long as it fails in its warranty period I don't mind... :) as said, a bit of coverage online and the hysteria starts.
Reminds me of that family guy episode where they receive 100 complaints which equals 1 billion.

Soldato
The internet seems to love jumping to conclusions.

Look at the new COD comparison, the PS5 drops frames in a couple of places, it’s not even repeatable, so likely a bug and we already have people saying the XSX is better at RT.

Caporegime

You would think that considering the size of it, they wouldn't have run into cooling issues. What is all that bulk/size for?

Soldato
I posted this in the noise thread - But i'll post it here too - Genuinely curious to what others think. We have another PS5 in the house - Which sounds similar, but not quite as loud as mine. I'm wondering if some PS5s habve slightly different fans like back in the PS3 days.

However, I have noticed that my fans almost makes a droning noise when speeding up and down - Once it is up to speed it seems to stop - but does it both ways. Speeding up its almost like a whine, anyone elses?

Also, I may of been naughty.
(In two ways, the other isn't appropriate :p)
The PS5 Fan is user accessible. So I wanted to see if there was anything loose or anythinglike that. Both side panels removed. Disc drive side and there are four screws, unscrewed them, removed the dust cover and then the massively thick fan just comes out!

I was worried something might of been loose making the droning noise. Now I started it up without the side panels on, there seems to be less of it - Maybe it is the side panels resonating.

The fans spins freely, not catching on anything and the screws are down tight again.

Though, my OCD over it is driving me mad - So wondered if any of you lot have noticed the same thing?

Soldato
Just to add my Son’s digital edition has been perfect no issues other than the odd crash. It’s just a bit disappointing to see poor cooling on the RAM considering the size of the thing.

Soldato
I think the point that people are making is that some of these issues aren't down to faulty hardware, but potentially a poor design where they've neglected to cool the RAM, or perhaps apply an overclock across the board. We're on a PC overlooking forum, so many of us here know just how unpredictable overclocking can be. You can buy two of the same mobo, RAM and CPU, set them up and overclock and you'll get completely different results at times. Obviously within reason, but still, some are lucky with overclocking and stability, others not so lucky.

The fact is, Sony have specifically chosen to apply higher clocks and haven't cooled the RAM sufficiently. If Gamers Nexus says it's not good, then it's not good. Steve knows his stuff and if he's saying there's a problem, then there is.

This has the potential to become pretty bad for PS5 owners because the only way to apply cooling to the RAM is to do it yourself, and I don't really see that happening much at all. Sure, Sony could change the clock speed via an update so that might help with some issues, but if there's no proper cooling solution for the RAM, I don't see how you'll be able to add one in easily.

Soldato
He didn’t say it was a problem or even out of spec, he said it was higher than he would like.

That’s not the same as saying it’s a problem.

Sony isn’t overclocking, they are binning chips to run at a set speed, they are running within the spec, it’s not the same as overclocking a graphics card.

If cooling was really an issue the internet would be full of people having issues, where’s the majority of PS5 owners are just having the odd software crash, same as the XSX.

Back
Top Bottom