YouTube Premium

Soldato
I watch a reasonably amount of YouTube on my TV but I'm starting to find the ads quite annoying and it's putting me off using it so much.

YouTube premium is £12 a month, which is more expensive than Netflix, prime and Disney. It's a complete rip off for what you get.
I agree.
i watch a lot on YouTube but just can’t justify another monthly media sub, my current list is over £100 month already :(
- Amazon Prime
- Amazon Music
- Audible
- Netflix
- Spotify (Music for car)
- Sky Sports

Soldato
I have youtube premium, and tbh fairly happy with it. If you consider that it comes with free music too then it takes the bite out of the price.

I do watch quite a lot of YouTube, and the ads were getting on my nerves which is why I signed up initially.

I am a little bit torn because I hate the way youtube does business, so maybe I should just use adblockers instead... But in the end that would impact the channels too I expect. Shame there's not a competing platform with the same reach that might encourage YouTube to treat the content creators better and provide a better user experience.

Soldato
I prefer Ghostery and UBlock Origin which does a fantastic job of blocking YT adverts as well as speeding up page loading by a huge amount by blocking adverts and social media stuff - dropping from 40+secs to under 3 for things like Icanhazcheezburger for example which is quite advert/SM heavy.

For the creators on YT I actively want to support, there are far better methods of doing that directly for me than YT adverts in which Google takes 40% IIRC, making $15 Billion from YT adverts alone last year!

Caporegime
Is it me or is YouTube getting really, really carried away with ads these days?! Feels like I’m watching Sky TV in the early 2000s.

I’m curious as to how many of you pay for YouTube premium and also interested to see if anyone has any tips to get it at a legitimate discount.

Cheers.
It's not you. The ads are going through the roof. I'm getting 2 ads (about 30s worth) every 2-3 minutes on some videos. It's getting ridiculous.

I won't be paying for Premium tho.

Associate
I caved and signed up a while ago because the ads were annoying and I use it a lot for music. It does feel expensive for what it is though, the ads were getting silly.

I notice though, that there are more and more "baked in" ads within the actual videos , Linus Tech Tips is one of the worst for this, but easy enough to skip past.

Man of Honour
OP
I caved and signed up a while ago because the ads were annoying and I use it a lot for music. It does feel expensive for what it is though, the ads were getting silly.

I notice though, that there are more and more "baked in" ads within the actual videos , Linus Tech Tips is one of the worst for this, but easy enough to skip past.
I actually think Linus is ‘the best at this’ - he tried to make it amusing with his segways and the ads are normally super short. I also don’t mind just skipping these by tapping forwards. It’s the obnoxious unskippable adds that are the bugbear for me.

RJC

RJC

Don
Every time I try that it keeps going to AED, set my location to India and tried different servers but no joy.

Do you need to setup a new account or can use your original?

Man of Honour
Every time I try that it keeps going to AED, set my location to India and tried different servers but no joy.

Do you need to setup a new account or can use your original?
I used my original and a multi hop vpn ending in India through surfshark

Soldato
I did hear some people were not happy with YT Music, was unsure and jump to Apple Music or as you mention stick with Spotify. :)

Try them out and see what you think. The problem I have with YT Music, many songs are not there or cant be played and shown as "unavailable" when I try to play them.

Soldato
I actually think Linus is ‘the best at this’ - he tried to make it amusing with his segways and the ads are normally super short. I also don’t mind just skipping these by tapping forwards. It’s the obnoxious unskippable adds that are the bugbear for me.

Yup, he embraces it. He knows the deal. 3 skips forward and you skip the ad and the intro perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom