Which air cooler?

Soldato
Associate
That's fair enough. I've seen talk of Ryzen die not being central and some coolers are better than others etc. Not sure how much difference it really makes, if it does? Hence the original question.

depends on the cooler and the chip. If you look at Der8auer's ryzen mount it can affect temps on some systems but not much on others.

my 3900x runs around 50c playing GTA V. Cooling is via custom loop so has the GPU heat to contend with as well. I run PBO and get 4200-4300 on the cores when playing. That's the fans at 50% and pump at 40% (D5). I hit about 67C running cinebench.

Associate
depends on the cooler and the chip. If you look at Der8auer's ryzen mount it can affect temps on some systems but not much on others.

my 3900x runs around 50c playing GTA V. Cooling is via custom loop so has the GPU heat to contend with as well. I run PBO and get 4200-4300 on the cores when playing. That's the fans at 50% and pump at 40% (D5). I hit about 67C running cinebench.

What case?

Soldato
Indeed, your temps are not bad. Typical idle temps ad upper 20's to low 30's so your idle temps are a little high, but maybe you could incease idle fan speed a little and bring them down .. assuming they don't make more noise than you want to listen to. 40c . ;)

You previously said:
fan curves probably play a role in this too.

CPU Fan at 60C is 55%, 70c is 65%.
Case fans 60c is 45%, 70c is 60%.

45% up until 55C
55% at 65C
65% at 75c​

Obviously I don't know what rpm they are, but assuming fan are 1300-1600rpm top speed, 45% would be about 600-750rpm, so probalby near silent. Most fans don't become audible untill about 950-1000rpm so I was suggesting to maybe increase fans' speed curve a little for better case airflow but little to no more noise.

But honestly, you have done a good job of getting systme to run cool and quiet. I suspect your next build's fan setup will only need a few minutes a couple of times to get it all setup.

Associate
Indeed, your temps are not bad. Typical idle temps ad upper 20's to low 30's so your idle temps are a little high, but maybe you could incease idle fan speed a little and bring them down .. assuming they don't make more noise than you want to listen to. 40c . ;)

You previously said:
fan curves probably play a role in this too.

CPU Fan at 60C is 55%, 70c is 65%.
Case fans

45% up until 55C
55% at 65C
65% at 75c​

Obviously I don't know what rpm they are, but assuming fan are 1300-1600rpm top speed, 45% would be about 600-750rpm, so probalby near silent. Most fans don't become audible untill about 950-1000rpm so I was suggesting to maybe increase fans' speed curve a little for better case airflow but little to no more noise.

But honestly, you have done a good job of getting systme to run cool and quiet. I suspect your next build's fan setup will only need a few minutes a couple of times to get it all setup.

3x Arctic P14 PWM PST - 1700RPM at 100%
1x Ben Nevis Cooler - The original not the advanced - 1600RPM at 100%
  • The three case fans are set to 45% until 55C (which is roughly 850RPM according to Argus Monitor)
  • The CPU Fan is set at 50% until 65C. (Which is roughly 1075RPM according to Argus Monitor)
At these sort of speeds, in this case, it's barely audible during day to day use. Outside noise, TV etc.
  • When the PC is sat there on the desktop, doing nothing, idle temp at the moment seems to be 31C, with the odd spike to 33/34C.
  • Whilst i'm typing this now in chrome, CPU temp is 33-38C

I need to retest the temperatures when gaming. The original temperature i mentioned of 65C for the CPU and GPU was when one of the intakes and the exhaust where not ramping and where constantly at at 850RPM.

I think i'm probably at the limit for the case fans, any higher at idle and like you say that's when they start to become audible.

Apologies for this thread becoming a little OT and dragging on! :p

Soldato
Agreed, temps are fine. Might be able to lower fan idle speeds and make system quieter without incresing temps much if any. That's assuming you would like it a little quieter. My bad, I assumed fan max speed was slower so of course so would idle be..

I think stsandard Ben Nevis fan is 1600rpm so similar to Arctic Ps. 120mm fans move about 2/3rds as much air as 140mm fans of similar design and speed, which is good in this application becuase we want more4 case airflow than cooler airflow so case air is pushing cooler exhaust out of case before it can mix with cool intake airflow.

Is this 33-38c peaks or average? I use Open Hardware Monitor because I like it's temp and load graphs to keep track of load and temp

Only problem with thread is ideally you should have started your own .. too late now. :p

Can't remember if you saw/read basic guide to how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow. If not you might find it interesting. It's in link below.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Associate
Agreed, temps are fine. Might be able to lower fan idle speeds and make system quieter without incresing temps much if any. That's assuming you would like it a little quieter. My bad, I assumed fan max speed was slower so of course so would idle be..

I think stsandard Ben Nevis fan is 1600rpm so similar to Arctic Ps. 120mm fans move about 2/3rds as much air as 140mm fans of similar design and speed, which is good in this application becuase we want more4 case airflow than cooler airflow so case air is pushing cooler exhaust out of case before it can mix with cool intake airflow.

Is this 33-38c peaks or average? I use Open Hardware Monitor because I like it's temp and load graphs to keep track of load and temp

Only problem with thread is ideally you should have started your own .. too late now. :p

Can't remember if you saw/read basic guide to how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow. If not you might find it interesting. It's in link below.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Think i'll keep them as they are and not reduce them. Summer months coming up and this room can get quite warm when it's had the sun blasting through the window all afternoon!

33-38 is average. The CPU boosts when opening programs, Chrome etc to mid/late 40's then drops back.

Soldato
I don't think it would be a problem either way, but nothing wrong with the way it is now. Your temps are fine, and if you set curves a little slower fans would speed up as temps rise. My temp:rpm settings are slower at lower temps at idle up to about 55-60c ythen ramp up rapidely to full speed at 75c.
System I'm on at moment (6700k) fan curve is similar to yours:
35%@40c
50%@55c
90%@65c
100%@70c​
Only time I hear fans is above 80% load / 65c. Right now temps are 32-40c with fans at 700-750rpm. When I'm rendering graphics CPU usage is 85-90% @ 65-70c. There's just enough CPU left to surf web, but things to lag some.

Associate
I don't think it would be a problem either way, but nothing wrong with the way it is now. Your temps are fine, and if you set curves a little slower fans would speed up as temps rise. My temp:rpm settings are slower at lower temps at idle up to about 55-60c ythen ramp up rapidely to full speed at 75c.
System I'm on at moment (6700k) fan curve is similar to yours:
35%@40c
50%@55c
90%@65c
100%@70c​
Only time I hear fans is above 80% load / 65c. Right now temps are 32-40c with fans at 700-750rpm. When I'm rendering graphics CPU usage is 85-90% @ 65-70c. There's just enough CPU left to surf web, but things to lag some.

Just a quick update.

With the fan speeds as they are. Playing Division 2 again, the CPU and GPU are sat at around 60c. Give or take a few degrees.

Few fluctuations between 48-65c, but mainly around the 60c mark

Last edited:
Soldato
Just a quick update.

With the fan speeds as they are. Playing Division 2 again, the CPU and GPU are sat at around 60c. Give or take a few degrees.

Few fluctuations between 48-65c, but mainly around the 60c mark
Sounds like all is good. Thanks for the update

Associate
I had the Nocturna NH-U14S before I switched to an AIO (just personal preference) it was a great air cooler, simple to install and kept my CPU cool. I was getting around 30C at idle and not above 70C during full load with a ryzen 5 3600

Associate
I have a Noctua-U12A Little pricey but a great cooler and compact in size with a 3700x stock I saw max 85 degrees in stress test.

Back
Top Bottom