• UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Certainly on paper the XSX has better specs but perhaps the PS5 closes the gap due to the higher clock speeds?

Personally, I’d be less worried about 21C+ ambient temps and think what it might be like in June if it hits 40C again.

Last time it did it was enough to destabilise my CPU OC and rather than turn things down a notch I just abstained from gaming for a couple of days instead.

Soldato
Playing spiderman MM and all of a sudden feels like slow down swinging through the city or frame drops i switched between both graphic modes same, not sure if I've activated an ability or its a game issue, other games work fine no issues.

Anyone else had this?

Soldato
There's a video on YouTube from an extremely reliable hardware source showing how hot the RAM is in a room that's only 21 degrees C. He also shows the way the chips are cooled, which is just by the steel innards of the chassis.

My point about the RAM is that sure, it's capable of running at 95 degrees, but as with other components you run the risk of reducing the life of your console by doing so. Owners of the PS5 have no choice but to accept that temperature if it's the same across the board because you can't change it without putting better cooling over the RAM. My point is that we live in the UK and central heating is kicking in for many now. I was worrying about what effect that'll have on the RAM.

At no point have I said anything like “ROFL Sony PS5 sucks, look at the issues suckers, you're all losers“ but somehow people have taken my posts and others in this thread personally and we're being treated as if we've insulted them somehow. It's rather weird tbh.

Thanks. I'll have a look for the video.

I've had the odd few games crash on me, but I just put it down to software bugs. The misus likes to have the central heating in the evening and our living room is toasty warm 23c+ my PS5 is well ventilated but its something to keep an eye on I guess.

Soldato
Playing spiderman MM and all of a sudden feels like slow down swinging through the city or frame drops i switched between both graphic modes same, not sure if I've activated an ability or its a game issue, other games work fine no issues.

Anyone else had this?
Not personally, but someone posted a vid on r/PS5 - it looked like they were playing in slow-motion?

Soldato

Anyone else had this?
Think there’s a suit that changes your swing animation (spider verse suit ?)

Soldato
Thanks. I'll have a look for the video.

I've had the odd few games crash on me, but I just put it down to software bugs. The misus likes to have the central heating in the evening and our living room is toasty warm 23c+ my PS5 is well ventilated but its something to keep an eye on I guess.

Well, that sort of crash could definitely be caused by the RAM overheating. Crashes like that seem to be happening to quite a few around the internet, so it's possible that they could be down to the RAM, hence why it was mentioned.

Soldato
He didn’t say it was a problem or even out of spec, he said it was higher than he would like.

That’s not the same as saying it’s a problem.

Sony isn’t overclocking, they are binning chips to run at a set speed, they are running within the spec, it’s not the same as overclocking a graphics card.

If cooling was really an issue the internet would be full of people having issues, where’s the majority of PS5 owners are just having the odd software crash, same as the XSX.

The chip (SOC) is not the issue it’s the poorly implemented ram cooling with the ram running at its tjmax. The SOC running higher clocks will contribute to overall system heat. There may be no issues ever or there might be issues with crashing and system errors which could be caused by the overheating ram it’s too early to tell. It’s just not a very well designed system especially with the amount of space available.

Soldato
No matter what, the cooling appears to be sub optimal, but how that translates to failure rates is anyone's guess. You do need to remember that the benchmarks run at a level of stress that few games can achieve. Back in the day I had overclocked VRAM that would only artifact in 3DMark but would never once cause issues in game.

This looks like it would be relatively straight forward for Sony to resolve in future revisions.

Soldato
Has anyone had issues connecting the controller to the PS5 ? My son said his controller would not work and when I have had a look it’s not connected to the console. Tried connecting with a lead still no joy. Pulled the plug left it for 5 mins and powered up and controller connected straight away.... bit odd.....

Soldato
@Plainsong are these settings anything like what you're using?

I haven't played around much with the Cinema and DV settings (apart from turning AI Picture off) but yes that's pretty much what I am using with HDR/PS5. I watched a video the other day on a Youtuber called HDTVTest and it's pretty much identical to the above.

So, did it come today?

Back
Top Bottom