Cooling a 3900x

Associate
Dear cooling sages, I humbly request assistance!

I'm building a system around the 3900x, likely in the FD Meshify C Mini case (it's mATX based).
I'd like to go the air route, even though my current system has a h100i that has been running for years now without issue, I'd like to try and make it as quiet as possible.
I've done some searching and have a few on shortlist, in no particular order:
- Noctua NH-D15
- BQ Dark Rock Pro 4
- BQ Dark Rock
- CM Hyper 212
- Scythe Mugen 5 (i think)

From the looks of PCPP completed builds all should fit in the case without issue, I don't really have much want to OC it but if i end up keeping it for years I might, or it could get replaced with a 5800x when they become available.

I know there's quite a cost difference, and ideally i'd prefer to not just get the most expensive option just because, so I came here for advice!

Thanks in advance.

Associate
What sort of temps do you see over regular use?

Aye, that's another consideration. Is there a specific thing (other than reviews) I can look at to see if there will be issues?

Hopefully also the actual product websites will help. I'm more familiar with Noctua as I considered them for my recent build, not the most wallet friendly though!

I know the Noctua NH-D15 will give you problems and you'll likely need low profile RAM with that. Their site says '*In chassis with more than 165mm CPU cooler clearance, the front fan can be moved upwards to make room for memory modules taller than 32mm.'

If you wanted to go Noctua there's always the NH-D15S, with single fan and clearance for 65mm memory modules, with an option to also mount a 120mm or 140mm if you have space. It's really only a couple of degrees off the D15 for temps.

Alternatively, and I know you said you wanted to go air, but the Arctic Liquid Freezer II are just as silent and superb value for money. With that you would again have to make sure you have clearance as the radiator is thicker than a usual AIO at 38mm, not including the fan. My 280 cools my 3900XT a treat.

Associate
OP
Hopefully also the actual product websites will help. I'm more familiar with Noctua as I considered them for my recent build, not the most wallet friendly though!

I know the Noctua NH-D15 will give you problems and you'll likely need low profile RAM with that. Their site says '*In chassis with more than 165mm CPU cooler clearance, the front fan can be moved upwards to make room for memory modules taller than 32mm.'

If you wanted to go Noctua there's always the NH-D15S, with single fan and clearance for 65mm memory modules, with an option to also mount a 120mm or 140mm if you have space. It's really only a couple of degrees off the D15 for temps.

Alternatively, and I know you said you wanted to go air, but the Arctic Liquid Freezer II are just as silent and superb value for money. With that you would again have to make sure you have clearance as the radiator is thicker than a usual AIO at 38mm, not including the fan. My 280 cools my 3900XT a treat.

I ended up picking up a Dark rock Pro 4 earlier today, seems to be compatible with the case and ram i've gone with. I did consider the arctic freezer 2 but it seems the 280mm is out of stock everywhere currently, at least where i looked. I'll see how the BRP4 works out and if i experience too much heat maybe the arctic 2 will be in stock again!

Soldato
SCMG-5100 Mugen 5 Rev. B is best cost to performance cooler, and will serve you well.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-scmg-5100-mugen-5-rev.b-cpu-cooler-hs-046-sy.html

Dark Rock Pro 4 is as good and looks better too. As long as your RAM is not super tall, (taller than about 52mm) it should work.

Please post some pics of it once installed on motherboard, and also how everything works out. Always good to hear user's thoughts.

Associate
OP
SCMG-5100 Mugen 5 Rev. B is best cost to performance cooler, and will serve you well.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-scmg-5100-mugen-5-rev.b-cpu-cooler-hs-046-sy.html

Dark Rock Pro 4 is as good and looks better too. As long as your RAM is not super tall, (taller than about 52mm) it should work.

Please post some pics of it once installed on motherboard, and also how everything works out. Always good to hear user's thoughts.

Got it installed today, no pics right now though unfortunately.
After seeing some initially high idle temps I did some digging and found some information regarding setting up the power mode correctly, and also setting up the fan curve in the bios a little more aggressively. There's still plenty of headroom there though as the DRP4 is rather inaudible, also I need to get some better intake/exhaust fans than the standard case ones.

Idling somewhere around ~37 degrees atm, haven't really had time to stress it too much yet!

Soldato
Sounds like it's doing the job well. These new AMd to idle hotter than normal, at least normal to me. My 3600 idles high 30s to mid 40s under Thermalright ARO-M14O @ 550-600rpm, case fans @ 450-500rpm. I do have quite a lot running in background using 25-35% of 32GB RAM, so obviously CPU is doing lots of little things .. but my i7 6700 doing similar runs high 20s to low 30s. ;)

Back
Top Bottom