I’d there such a car?

Soldato
He has £13k to spend on a car and you suggest a rusty old £500 banger? WTF?
I said something LIKE that one. It's clearly not going to be that exact one, as it's well over the OP's 3 year limit.
If it makes you happy, there are several '17 and '18 A-Classes and a few C-Classes for around £10-11k.

The point was that Mercs (or indeed any car that fits the requirements) don't have to be ridiculously expensive, and that age is not necessarily a bad thing.

Soldato
If knee pain is made worse operating the pedals then dont get a hot hatch (or anything sporty really), they usually have heavier controls than the standard car.

Soldato
Before you go and say how about this BMW or this Mercedes Benz.... I can’t afford anything like that as I already have a big car to pay
there are several '17 and '18 A-Classes and a few C-Classes for around £10-11k.
Does nobody read posts anymore?

It's not the purchase price. I'm sure the OP could manage to find a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S for £13k. It's the ongoing cost that's the concern - so Insurance, tax and main dealer servicing.

Soldato
I said something LIKE that one. It's clearly not going to be that exact one, as it's well over the OP's 3 year limit.
If it makes you happy, there are several '17 and '18 A-Classes and a few C-Classes for around £10-11k.

The point was that Mercs (or indeed any car that fits the requirements) don't have to be ridiculously expensive, and that age is not necessarily a bad thing.

What possible similarity is there between a 2 year-old A Class, and a 20 year-old C Class that's probably one MOT away from the scrapyard?

You wouldn't offer a 1990 E34 5 Series as an example of someone wanting to spend £20k on an executive saloon, would you?

Weird suggestion :p

Associate
OP
What possible similarity is there between a 2 year-old A Class, and a 20 year-old C Class that's probably one MOT away from the scrapyard?

You wouldn't offer a 1990 E34 5 Series as an example of someone wanting to spend £20k on an executive saloon, would you?

Weird suggestion :p

Yeh I wouldn’t even think of buying a Mercedes, BMW or Audi.. yes as it would be nice but this I my second car... it needs to be comfortable but not too big either... are there are small comfortable cars these days?

Caporegime
Glad someone has suggested an electric car. It sounds ideal for this use. Short journey, minimal energy use, especially when stopped. You'd likely only need to charge it once a week and at some point over the weekend. Your workplace may even have a charging point you're unaware of, or there's likely one very close by if you live in a city. Even while at work a standard mains charge once a week while in work would likely be sufficient.

You can get a Leaf, a VW Up (perhaps too small?) or a BMW i3 as well within budget.

Soldato
Glad someone has suggested an electric car. It sounds ideal for this use. Short journey, minimal energy use, especially when stopped. You'd likely only need to charge it once a week and at some point over the weekend. Your workplace may even have a charging point you're unaware of, or there's likely one very close by if you live in a city. Even while at work a standard mains charge once a week while in work would likely be sufficient.

Yeah, they make sense, a few people at work have swapped to them due to the tax breaks. Most have a second car in the family which can do the 1% of journeys that a modern EV doesn't have the range for.

Caporegime
Yeah, they make sense, a few people at work have swapped to them due to the tax breaks. Most have a second car in the family which can do the 1% of journeys that a modern EV doesn't have the range for.
Which they have in the Estate. It sounds like perfect leccy motor criteria.

Soldato
Hmmm never thought of electric.... does seem a good choice as my other car is petrol estate... Am I limited to a leaf or are the other electric cars to small...
The main three options are a Nissan Leaf, Renault Zoe or a BMW i3. However there are a few other curveball options like the Kia Soul and the Smart ForTwo Electric.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Cars/9801?_fsrp=0&_udlo=12000&_udhi=14000&_sacat=9801&rt=nc&Model%20Year=2018|2017|2016&Fuel=Electricity

I chose the Leaf mainly on size. It's about the same as a Focus, has 5 good sized seats, a decent sized boot and you can fit a 3 meter length of pipe / plank of wood inside.

Soldato
Hmmm never thought of electric.... does seem a good choice as my other car is petrol estate... Am I limited to a leaf or are the other electric cars to small...

The Zoe might be OK - I'm 6ft and didn't have any size issues with mine. £13k will get you a battery owned 22kWh or a leased 41kWh - you might just be able to get an older/high mileage battery owned 41kWh for that. It's smaller than the Leaf, but the 22kWh will be cheaper, and the 41kWh has almost double the range.

Otherwise, a 28kWh Ioniq would be my choice - almost as much range as the Zoe, faster charging, and a bit bigger inside, but the cheapest I've seen them is £15k, so a bit over budget.

Back
Top Bottom