3L diesel, Saloon or 4 door coupe

Associate
A few weeks back I was considering buying a weekend fun car Or a old project car for about 5k, after a bit of pondering decided to ditch that idea. One We don’t really have the space, two 90% of the time when I would have been potentially using said fun car iv got the kids with me. Three I get to play with some fun cars whilst I am at work, so I’ll get that fun factor anyway.
So I am looking at replacing my current car a VW Passat CC that now has 136k miles on it, instead. I know I could keep the car and run for a few more years, but I do find it lacks power and I am getting a bit bored of it. I really like the looks of it, there is a part of me that kind wishes that VW had used the 3L TDi.
This will be my car to commute to work and what we use as a family car when we travelling out of the city once we allowed again. We use the wife car, for city driving at the weekend. I do about 15k+ miles a year, most of that is on fast moving nation speed limit dual carriageways.
So my budget for this is a healthy 15k maybe a bit more depending what I get for mine on trade in or if I sell it privately.

So at the moment I am considering, what are the usual suspects in this choice.

Saloon wise

5 series
E class
XF
Not really interested in an A6.

4 door coupe

6 series This May be hardest to find in my budget, as they seem to be more like 18k for a decent one. I owned a 650i coupe a few years back and really enjoyed that.

CLS I looked at buying a 1st gen, one of these before I got my Passat. I really did like that. This time I would be looking at a 2nd gen.

A7 not a massive Audi fan but, the A7 is a very nice looking car and from the reviews Iv seen say it’s more on par with A8 on the inside compared to the A6?

As I can’t really go car shopping at the moment, was wondering what everyone on here thinks of the cars listed.

Man of Honour
For 15k, get a 5 series. It only really buys older more tatty 6 series. It's also better than any 15k E Class. If you had 20k I'd suggest a 6 series instead.

You'll get a really good 14-15 530d for this.

I'm taking a real risk posting this for you as half the forum will hold it against me for years :D

I have had my 2015 530d for over 4 years now and it's absolutely brilliant.

Associate
OP
For 15k, get a 5 series. It only really buys older more tatty 6 series. It's also better than any 15k E Class. If you had 20k I'd suggest a 6 series instead.

I'm taking a real risk posting this for you as half the forum will hold it against me for years :D

:D Fox you shock me, would have never expected you to recomenrd the 5 Series.:D

Caporegime
I think you want a 6 not 5, therefore 640d with a little bump in budget for a good one.

Can't argue with this.

:D Fox you shock me, would have never expected you to recomenrd the 5 Series.:D
Or this. :D

Man of Honour
The issue with the 6 Series is that it is always a compromise into an older, higher mileage car than the equivalent 5 Series (and among the last of the 640d, the choice of 5 Series will be the new G30).

I really wanted one but it was so difficult to ignore the fact that the 5 Series is largely the same car but much newer for the same budget. For me, it was a 3 year old 6 or a 1 year old 5.

There is no question that other than this consideration the 6 Series is simply a better car in every way (It is, after all, a 5 Series with an even nicer interior) - unless your budget is north of £20k whereby you'd be mad to pick one over a G30 5 Series.

Soldato
How do you find the 6 series?

So far it has out performed my expectations in every way.

By far the most comfortable car I have spent a significant amount of time in.
The performance of the engine is right up there. Seems crazy to get that much power yet refinement from a diesel engine. The MPG surprises me so much. I've had north of 600 miles out of a tank. That included pressing the loud peddle quite a lot.

Personally the look of a 6 is better than a 5.

But Fox is absolutely right. Bang for your buck you should go with the 5 for a newer car with less mileage.

Man of Honour
Of course the reverse is true for anyone considering a G32 6 Series - the looks are sufficiently challenging for most that they actually cost LESS than the equivalent 5 Series and are something of a used bargain as they are much higher spec as standard :D

Associate
OP
But Fox is absolutely right. Bang for your buck you should go with the 5 for a newer car with less mileage.

I agree you get better a bang for your buck. Iv got plenty of time to make up my mind, as I am not in a rush.

A friend of mine who currently owns a XF pointed about that you can get a good XJ for that money now. But then I thought I am not old enough for one.

Soldato
I agree you get better a bang for your buck. Iv got plenty of time to make up my mind, as I am not in a rush.

A friend of mine who currently owns a XF pointed about that you can get a good XJ for that money now. But then I thought I am not old enough for one.

They do with complementary leather elbow patches!

Back
Top Bottom