Anyone here ever had a problem with household mites?

My flat is being overrun by what I think may be dust mites, they are white microscopic little specs that seem to love electronics and hard surfaces, they are not easy to spot initially.

I keep a tidy flat, hover, clean once a week etc but there numbers seem to be increasing, wiped down all surfaces and consoles electronics etc in my lounge with bleach based spray, but they keep coming back, for example if look at my PS3 and you'll see tiny whites specks the size of a pin head moving about.

My flat in at the bottom rear of a property on concrete flooring, so it's quite dark and dingy, I've been here since last November, never had this problem in my previous place, been looking around on the net and no one seems to have a concise answer, really starting to bother me now, I'm temped to move but that does require a lot of effort and cost.

:(

Last edited:
Soldato
I wasn't being literal, they are extremely tiny, they are very similar to this,

5d4ojDQT6BI

Then they're not dust mites:

wikipedia said:
House dust mites, due to their very small size (250 to 300 microns in length) and translucent bodies, are not visible to the unaided eye. For accurate identification, one needs at least 10× magnification.

My guess is concrete particulate, or similar. Which should also be of (moderate) concern.

Associate
Yep, got the same problem. Already infected both of my DS's which has knackered the screens. No idea how to get rid of them mind you.
I had a feeling they were flour mites seeing as they are attracted to areas with foodstuff but can't be sure.

They could be mould mites. Does any part of your house suffer from damp or condensation?

Not as far as I'm aware, it's a dark 'dingy' flat that doesn't get any sunlight but seems to be dry, no mould about or condensation, but from further study online they do seem to conform with mould mites.

I think they like humidity. Get something to dehumidify the place.

I'm thinking the same, going to have a bash with the hair dryer and wiping surfaces down with neat bleach for a few days before I spend a £100 or so on a dehumidifier, also thinking about picking up a steam cleaner.

Caporegime
I feel your pain. Our cat recently started knocking about with a stray, so we have had a flea infestation. For some bizarre reason they don't ever bite me, but my brother was literally eaten alive!

Associate
These look like Mold mites. I had these last year and did that must research to find out what they were that I could have a phd in the matter now. It doesnt matter if you cant see any obvious 'mold', if the room/area is cold or can get humid or condensation these things will find a way in and stick around until you destroy them. First just check for any inconspicuous mold, I did find a small patch of damp under my fixed blind which I quickly got rid of with mold remover then washed with bleach and hot water let it dry and painted the area. Next, wipe down every surface with a bleach spray (ensuring you fully dry the surfaces after wiping down) or I have found flash with bicarbonate spray to work amazingly! Then hoover everywhere!!! I mean everywhere pull out the furniture and clean behind it, bleach where you can I.e skirting boards. Next, use a dehumidifier and also heat the room up! I bought an extra plug in oil heater and left it on just a few hours a day and it worked a treat. Open the windows for a few hours to let air circulate (but only on dry days!!! Opening on damp days only lets more humid air in)!!

Patience and perseverance is what works. I bleached twice daily, morning and evening, and hovered everyday. The numbers dwindled until I could only find one or two and then before long they were all gone.

They have appeared again this year but I noticed them and there were only a few so repeated what I did last year (minus the mold) and low and behold they are gone again! I really hope this helps anyone who is at their wits end with those vile creatures!

Back
Top Bottom