What have you done to your car today?

Man of Honour
Not something I've done but as there isn't really a thread for it - got my insurance renewal through today - surprisingly it is basically the 2019 price (2020 for some reason was a bit cheaper) - was expecting a huge increase based on past experiences + current conditions with 2020. Might be able to slightly beat it shopping around but just not worth it.

Associate
Actually drove my car today for the first time in ages. It’s only done about 700 miles since it’s MOT back in April. This working from home malarkey has really cut my mileage down.

Man of Honour
It's quite surprising how many people turn out to only really use their car for going to work and consequently have hardly used them in months.

Associate
It's quite surprising how many people turn out to only really use their car for going to work and consequently have hardly used them in months.

Yep

My car was only ever really going to be used for commuting to work and the odd trip out on the weekend. Any longer trips are always done in the wife’s car as it’s bigger and more comfortable for longer journeys.

I’m reluctant to get rid of it though as my work could drop an announcement at some point telling everyone to go back to the office.

I could sell it now and buy something in the future but I can’t be bothered with the hassle. If I sold it, it would be done in the knowledge that we no longer needed a second car.

Caporegime
Its actually their car. Nothing daily about something which you have no choice to use.

Short for daily driver, daily car, daily transportation. In the same way that people have a daily routine.

It is a generally accepted term in car enthusiast circles to mean your primary vehicle which you use for general transportation day to day. :)

I don't see why the term is offensive at all to be honest, it makes perfect sense. You don't have to use it, but you know what someone means when they say it, so it clearly works just fine.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Short for daily driver, daily car, daily transportation. In the same way that people have a daily routine.

It's not short for anything, because it's actually just 'car' which is less characters than 'daily'.

I have more than one toothbrush but don't tend to refer to the one I used this morning as my daily :D

Soldato
You are confusing 'car enthusiast circles with yanks who drive around in sheds. My Insight was always my commuter - on the basis it was using on workdays rather than ...every day.

You are lucky though, I'm typing today using my daily hands - only the sparkly ones come out at the weekend.

I don't like using it like many others. Not sure why you have to argue with that after inviting comments. Its like sticking pins your eyes, which is similar to the product i own that is actually called 'Dailies', they are contact lenses.

Soldato
It's a bit of a cringey scene Americanism IMO, like "delete", "pulls like a train", etc.

It makes more sense when you have a collection of 5 cars and only one of them (let's say a BMW 5 Series) is used to go to work or whatever, so you describe it as your "daily driver", but even then it seems a bit redundant as you could just say "my 5 Series" :p

Speaking of Americanisms, I'm sure they used to call it a grocery-getter. Don't hear that term much nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom