• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 6800 & 6800 XT MBA LAUNCH AT 2PM TODAY - EXTREMELY LIMITED STOCK!

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Scandinavian countries used to often have higher prices than the UK, I think due to the average wage levels. Have you ever tried to buy a beer in Norway?

Not sure if thats still the case, but for everyone who thought the prices might be sub-£700, it could be a rough afternoon

Everything in Norway/Sweden/Finland is +20% over UK prices.

They do earn 50% more though (and pay more tax, but they still have more disposable even after).

Associate
Well, you might actually be able to buy a 6800XT tomorrow.........

I doubt it. I'm at work until 14:30, and if the buy button is up before 15:00, then the 'work' from home folks will have snagged the lot before I can even take a look at the site.

This is what happened last time, to say nothing of the obvious botting. Although frankly, I'm not sure if it's worth buying anything this year, not at these prices.

Associate
I doubt it. I'm at work until 14:30, and if the buy button is up before 15:00, then the 'work' from home folks will have snagged the lot before I can even take a look at the site.

This is what happened last time, to say nothing of the obvious botting. Although frankly, I'm not sure if it's worth buying anything this year, not at these prices.
I'm working until 15:00 but I think i might take my break at 14:05 lol

Soldato
A small number of people will pay that, not the majority, I don't believe.

Need to remind what the RRP is on the 6800XT. It is £599.

The rrp on the 6900XT will be about £900. Mid £700's for the 3080s. Anything more than £700 for 6800XT is not good value.

AMD charges a price for their chips at one end and sets a MSRP for the other end. I, a cynical person say it's a marketing stunt to look better value in reviews.

Board manufacturers and retailers have said the margins they get from the MSRP on these reference models is abnormally low.

Doesn't matter who you want to blame but if the board makers and retailer want to get a normal level of margin they get through their obligation of making and selling reference cards and are free to make and sell at a normal profit margin on custom boards.

The only way MSRP is going to be willingly returned to is if AMD lowers their margin at the other end so everyone else down the line can sell at MSRP and still get normal margin out of it.

Soldato
So, essentially the same price as the 3080, but with worse RT performance? How does this make sense? :confused:
its silly season, it happens every gpu launch, gamers tend to lose their senses and just pay:p give it a few months and ebay wil be flooded with used cards as no more lockdowns pc gaming wil go back to normality, ppl go back to work and gpu prices wil normalize. my gpu will tie me over for few months yet, i play the waiting game:D

Associate
its silly season, it happens every gpu launch, gamers tend to lose their senses and just pay:p give it a few months and ebay wil be flooded with used cards as no more lockdowns pc gaming wil go back to normality, ppl go back to work and gpu prices wil normalize. my gpu will tie me over for few months yet, i play the waiting game:D

The thing is, prices never really did come back down to 'normal' did they. Take my 5700 XT for example, it's still the same price today as when I bought it last year, and that was a card which actually had some availability (except for the AIB models).

Soldato
The thing is, prices never really did come back down to 'normal' did they. Take my 5700 XT for example, it's still the same price today as when I bought it last year, and that was a card which actually had some availability (except for the AIB models).
normalize not drop, several places are taking the mick with curency conversions and they know they can get away with it atm as its silly season, in a few months with plentiful supply currency conversions wil fall into line imo

Associate

Exactly. My guess is that these prices are here to stay well into next year. The 6000 series isn't technically a 5000 replacement as its such a big jump and includes DXR.

Let's say AMD bring out a 6600 for £500 and then a 6500 for £400, that's still slightly more than the 5700XT at launch up until today, and when we get down to 6500 territory the performance won't be that much more, just DXR enabled. Id love to be wrong though.

Soldato
Yeah the issue with the pricing this time is AMD didn't have a card in the high end last time, so there is not much to compare it to.

Nvidia did, and they have broadly maintained their price points. AMD have broadly matched them.

It does make you wonder where the lower end cards will slot in though. We won't see much of a performance improvement over the likes of the 2070 super and might save £100. Its not that much progress.

Associate
Big markup for a bit of rgb
A small number of people will pay that, not the majority, I don't believe.

Need to remind what the RRP is on the 6800XT. It is £599.

The rrp on the 6900XT will be about £900. Mid £700's for the 3080s. Anything more than £700 for 6800XT is not good value.

Well said- I agree I’m dismayed at the price hike, naively thought I could pay £580 and get it from AMD.

Sights now lower, now looking at 6800s non Xt for around 600-700

trouble is Cold War on pc plays like poo on my RTX 2060 at 20-30fps at 1440p max settings with RT on. With DLSS (a saviour in my opinion) on quality I get 70-80 FPS with max setting and RT on ultra.

Based on the above I like many others are looking for new cards to hit decent performance. All contributes to the buying frenzy and price hikes.

Back
Top Bottom