*** Cyberpunk 2077 ***

Associate
Everyone, this may be a stupid question but I really want to run this game at as close to max settings as I can with RTX on, do you think my rig is going to be able to?

i9-9900K
Asus RTX 2080 Dual OC 8192MB GDDR6
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz
WD Blue SN500 250GB NVMe M.2 2280 6Gbps SSD

I'm either gonna be playing on a 1080p 120hz monitor (BenQ XL2410T) or a 49" Samsung 4K TV (MU6400) - can't decide on input method whether I play M&K on the 1080p monitor or controller on the 4K TV.

How does DLSS work? Never used it before. Specifically with the 1080p monitor, DLSS is for upscaling resolution right and keeping performance hit down? Would I need to enable DLSS and set the resolution in-game as either 1440p or 2160p to see the benefit of it? Or do you just keep resolution set at 1080p and it does it for you?

Man of Honour
Everyone, this may be a stupid question but I really want to run this game at as close to max settings as I can with RTX on, do you think my rig is going to be able to?

i9-9900K
Asus RTX 2080 Dual OC 8192MB GDDR6
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz
WD Blue SN500 250GB NVMe M.2 2280 6Gbps SSD

I'm either gonna be playing on a 1080p 120hz monitor (BenQ XL2410T) or a 49" Samsung 4K TV (MU6400) - can't decide on input method whether I play M&K on the 1080p monitor or controller on the 4K TV.

How does DLSS work? Never used it before. Specifically with the 1080p monitor, DLSS is for upscaling resolution right and keeping performance hit down? Would I need to enable DLSS and set the resolution in-game as either 1440p or 2160p to see the benefit of it? Or do you just keep resolution set at 1080p and it does it for you?

According to the CDPR updated spec image, your system is at minimum req for RT set at medium at 1080p although looking at the GPU they recommend, you sit in between RT medium and RT Ultra so between 1440p and 1080p. I would not be surprised if you get well over 60fps at the RT min settings on your high refresh rate monitor tbh or possibly even more. I think the spec screenshot not mentioning 2080 Super/Ti or 2070 Super is very deliberate. nVidia are on this game and they want people to buy the 30 series cards (even though nobody has any stock :rolleyes:) but we already know the 2080/2070 Ti/Super cards are powerful anyway moreso the OCd ones. I think the 2070/2080s have not been mentioned purely for this very reason, they are most likely are capable of solid performance but nVidia need to get people buying those 30 series cards although as mentioned, who the hell is able to find them in stock anywhere that isn't charging in some cases nearly £200 more than nVidia's own RRP?

DLSS is a bit more than just simple upscaling. You choose a display and render resolution and the tensor cores on the 20/30 series cards use AI to draw the image at a higher fidelity than native resolution. DLSS 2.0 creates a more detailed scene than the original resolution and you regain 20fps+ that you would have lost with just RT on and no DLSS typically. I've only played Control which has DLSS2.0 and this is based off my experience in that game.

Associate
According to the CDPR updated spec image, your system is at minimum req for RT set at medium at 1080p although looking at the GPU they recommend, you sit in between RT medium and RT Ultra so between 1440p and 1080p. I would not be surprised if you get well over 60fps at the RT min settings on your high refresh rate monitor tbh or possibly even more. I think the spec screenshot not mentioning 2080 Super/Ti or 2070 Super is very deliberate. nVidia are on this game and they want people to buy the 30 series cards (even though nobody has any stock :rolleyes:) but we already know the 2080/2070 Ti/Super cards are powerful anyway moreso the OCd ones. I think the 2070/2080s have not been mentioned purely for this very reason, they are most likely are capable of solid performance but nVidia need to get people buying those 30 series cards although as mentioned, who the hell is able to find them in stock anywhere that isn't charging in some cases nearly £200 more than nVidia's own RRP?

DLSS is a bit more than just simple upscaling. You choose a display and render resolution and the tensor cores on the 20/30 series cards use AI to draw the image at a higher fidelity than native resolution. DLSS 2.0 creates a more detailed scene than the original resolution and you regain 20fps+ that you would have lost with just RT on and no DLSS typically. I've only played Control which has DLSS2.0 and this is based off my experience in that game.

Thanks very much for the detailed response. Perhaps I'm being dense but what do they mean by RT minimum, medium and high - any time I've seen RT implemented in any game so far its either on or its off lol, or are they referring to the resolution changes, 1080 minimum, 1440 medium etc. and all the other settings are assumed to have stayed the same?

Interesting re DLSS - so in my example if I used my 1080p monitor I would set display resolution as that and render resolution as either 1440 or 2160 as examples?

Man of Honour
Take a look at these Control screenshots, you can choose your monitor's native resolution, then choose a render resolution, depending on hardware configuration a bunch of resolutions will be available to select:
https://i.imgur.com/ncICTGG.png

Likewise with raytracing you can select high/medium/ultra etc to control how complex the RT effects are:
https://i.imgur.com/6aJuoba.png

Some games with DLSS also allow you to choose the level of DLSS like balanced/performance/ultra too so there is a whole bunch of configurations you can use to try and get the best performance when using both RT and DLSS so generally speaking everyone with a supporting card should be able to find a happy medium.

In Death Stranding:

Soldato
Take a look at these Control screenshots, you can choose your monitor's native resolution, then choose a render resolution, depending on hardware configuration a bunch of resolutions will be available to select:

Likewise with raytracing you can select high/medium/ultra etc to control how complex the RT effects are:

Some games with DLSS also allow you to choose the level of DLSS like balanced/performance/ultra too so there is a whole bunch of configurations you can use to try and get the best performance when using both RT and DLSS so generally speaking everyone with a supporting card should be able to find a happy medium.

In Death Stranding:

Your brightness is way too bright, or your eyes are just a bit knackered :p

Last edited:
Associate

In Death Stranding:

Thanks again - that's a pretty nuts difference in Death Stranding, in appearance and frame rate, wtf lol.

Man of Honour
The next generation of DLSS is supposed to be supported on any game that has TAA but I think we will need the next gen of nvidia cards for that and this is where nvidia will set themselves apart if they decide to stay on an offshoot from DXR although maybe not since DLSS can be used on its own too so even games with no RT options can benefit giving nvidia a big USP to play older games with a performance boost thanks to those tensor cores.

Soldato
I reckon I should be able to do 60fps 1080p ultra with a 980ti right?

You may be fine for 1080p ultra graphics wise but your CPU might chug hard. Min recommend for 1080p low is 3570k.

I only have 1080p 144hz monitor but im fine spec wise for 2160p ultra so im hoping i can get away with 1080p ultra with RTX and get 60+ fps

Man of Honour

I was fully intending to start as Corpo but having heard this view above, I think Nomad is the best way to start the game, get that done and dusted then enter the city fully and be amazed. So that's 175 ish hours on just Nomad alone, given how I play games that will be several weeks on just that one life path lol.

Associate
Stupid I know, but good to have hyperbole on both sides... have legitimately heard people say things like:

"This is literally the game I've been waiting for my entire life" (uh-huh)

or

"My big worry is that after playing this I won't ever be able to enjoy any other games again because they will just seem so inferior in comparison" (mm hmm)

Every concern raised is met with a litany of finger-in-ear lalalalalala game is going to be perfect etc. it just gets a bit tiresome

I know what you mean hahaha I find it amusing to see everyone tripping over a game thats not even released yet

Associate
So it would seem you can't use DLSS if you have an RTX 2080 at 1080p - but you can if you have a 2060 or 2070 - what on earth is all that about?!

Associate
Where did you read/hear that?

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/dlss-on-rtx-2080-full-hd-368367

"Nvidia currently supports DLSS on the following 20 Series GPUs at these resolutions:

• 3840×2160 (4K) – All RTX GPUs
  • 2560×1440 (1440p) – RTX 2060, 2070, and 2080
  • 1920×1080 (Full HD) – RTX 2060 and 2070"
ufj6gx6mgcg21.png

Not sure if the above is Battlefield V specific but I noticed when I tried to enable DLSS with Shadow of the Tomb Raider the option was greyed out on my 1080p monitor and available on my 4K TV....

Man of Honour
Tomb Raider uses DLSS 1.0 as does Battlefield and that article is over a year old and doesn't cover the advances in DLSS since then. The render resolution needs to be a variable of the display resolution too, you just choose which render res you want.

To confirm I would try a game like Control which uses DLSS2.0.

There's no architecture difference within the 20 series cards, all are Ampere, all have tensor cores, all support the latest DLSS.

Back
Top Bottom