• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OLED negating the need for high refresh rate monitors?

Caporegime
The truth is that OLED's have 0.1ms pixel response time and LCD can't touch that - the absolute best of the best LCD gaming monitors come in at 2-3ms and the average gaming monitor is more like 6-10ms.

Because of that, the OLED will always produce a cleaner image with greater clarity which makes it easier to spot targets in a competitive fast paced game.

OLED TVs do have more input lag though but its still very low (as low as 4ms at 120hz 1440p)

Once we get OLED monitors with all the post processing turned off that TVs use, it's game over for LCD.

At the end of the day LCD can't match this, its simply impossible - which image would you prefer to play your multiplayer game on?

instagram download foto
I'm sure many more of us would already have OLED if it wasn't for screen burn...

That applies equally to people who play a lot of the same game (and hence have the same UI on the screen) as it does to productivity work, as I mentioned earlier.

I.e. if you're playing WoW in 8 hour sessions (or any other game in long sessions).

Otherwise there's pretty much no downside to the tech already. I'd have one for sure. But screen burn issues are stopping me.

Caporegime
screen burn and price!
Without the issues, it's probably worth the cost tho, as a "once in a blue moon" purchase that you expect to last a good 6-8 years (well, I would expect that :p)

As it is I'm considering pulling the trigger on the 27GL850, knowing that I might end up being unhappy with it as early as next year, when better LCD panels come out.

Although it's a good monitor, it's not great. And put it next to OLED it's just plain poor, lol.

Associate
I've had a lounge TV for 3 and a half years, the LG B6 model, zero burn in issues with it which was why I was confident about getting the CX.

Associate
Gamed on my 55C7 for over three years with both PS4 and PC, great experience and I've had zero issues with burn in. I mostly play games with HUD's and static elements on the screen.

Caporegime
Gamed on my 55C7 for over three years with both PS4 and PC, great experience and I've had zero issues with burn in. I mostly play games with HUD's and static elements on the screen.
It's an issue if it's the same UI in the same place for multiple hours day after day.

I imagine that's not the case for most lounge TVs, even with console gaming in the mix.

But when you move to desktop usage, Windows etc, that very much is the case. Unless it's a 2nd screen as a dedicated gaming monitor and never used for general Windows stuff.

As usual it entirely depends on what your usage of the thing will be.

But there are plenty of warnings about using OLED as a monitor. And very few people doing so :p

20/7 Burn-In Test: OLED vs LCD VA vs LCD IPS - RTINGS.com

As a result, we don't expect most people who watch varied content without static areas to experience burn-in issues with an OLED TV. Those who display the same static content over long periods of time should consider the risk of burn-in though (such as those who watch lots of news, use the TV as a PC monitor, or play the same game with a bright static HUD). Those who are concerned about the risk of burn-in should go with an LCD TV for the peace of mind.

Note that we expect burn-in to depend on a few factors:

• The total duration of static content. LG has told us that they expect it to be cumulative, so static content which is present for 30 minutes twice a day is equivalent to one hour of static content once per day.
  • The brightness of the static content. Our maximum brightness CNN TV has more severe burn-in than our 200 nits brightness CNN TV.
  • The colors of the static areas. We found that in our 20/7 Burn-in Test the red sub-pixel is the fastest to degrade, followed by blue and then green.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If you are just going to use it for gaming, great. But for general office / document / outlook / browsing etc use.... eh.

That size is just too big too.

Associate
Why's they a differen e in processing time between 4k and not 4k?
Input lag comes from some processing step. Fewer pixels to process at 1440p.
Most gaming monitors don't do any processing, or allow to turn it off.

To be fair, 10 ms is still acceptable as far as lag goes. Only becomes noticeable at 20, annoying at 40ms.

Soldato
Except this is OCUK, where arguments matter! :D

Having now had a 65” C9 for a few months I wonder if I could have got away with the 75” model...

You'd get that 75". Then've wondered on the 80/85".

I had a 65, then a 77.........struggling to convince 'better half' it would look more like a cinema at 85. Reckon they'll be some deals about black friday or maybe January will be good for consumers, seeing as JAn sales seemed to move to black friday. Jan sales the past couple of years at least, have been rubbish.

Soldato
Input lag comes from some processing step. Fewer pixels to process at 1440p.
Most gaming monitors don't do any processing, or allow to turn it off.

To be fair, 10 ms is still acceptable as far as lag goes. Only becomes noticeable at 20, annoying at 40ms.
But surely it's still processing 4k pixels as that's the size of the screen, I'd have thought its the upscaling that's introducing it.

Associate
120hz on oled is great. Ever since lcd took over from crt, I have always missed the motion clarity and black levels of crt. 120hz oled is the first screen since that has met my expectation. Black level even better. I use a 165hz lcd for comparison.

I'd say the jump to Oled from an decent lcd, is the biggest jump in pq I've had in a TV upgrade.

However, it isn't perfect. Most screens show some form of banding at around 5% black. Kind of panel lottery. I don't notice it in content and I'm quite ocd about pq.
Also, vrr brings a slight pq downgrade. It's not huge, many don't notice. Frames at 60fps have a raised near black gamma that slightly washes out the picture, 120fps it is perfect, so depending on your frames depends on how much gamma shift there is.
If you have never had oled before I doubt you would notice the raised gamma, because the near black when raised will still be lower than an lcd :)
My first screen is now about 3-4 years old, no burn in. Was used for gaming but I tend to play a variety of games. Tbh, if I had burn in, i think it would be hard not to get another because the pq is that much better.

I have to mention that I view and game in a pitch black room. This is were the screen excels. In a room with lights on or direct sunlight, the screen especially in hdr will be too dim and they wouldn't have the same positive review as me :D

Soldato
screen burn and price!

As well as being organic so you tend to get more dead pixels/sub pixels vs generic LCD.

Other than that everything tends to be far better than LCD other than generic OLED flaws such as banding/tint/vignetting but these generally tend to be quite minor.

I’ve seen many expensive monitors and TV’s and none really come close to OLED picture quality IMO. Gaming is on another level.

Soldato
Once I can get a monitor that is:

34" 6880 x 2880, 21:9, 1800R, OLED without burn in issue @240hz, HDR10 with 4 USB pass-through, vesa 100 mount and it come professionally calibrated out the box I'd be willing to pay £1k for it.

Until then I'm dropping closer to £400-£500 on something as a compromise.

V F

V F

Soldato
120hz on oled is great. Ever since lcd took over from crt, I have always missed the motion clarity and black levels of crt. 120hz oled is the first screen since that has met my expectation. Black level even better. I use a 165hz lcd for comparison.

I'd say the jump to Oled from an decent lcd, is the biggest jump in pq I've had in a TV upgrade.

However, it isn't perfect. Most screens show some form of banding at around 5% black. Kind of panel lottery. I don't notice it in content and I'm quite ocd about pq.
Also, vrr brings a slight pq downgrade. It's not huge, many don't notice. Frames at 60fps have a raised near black gamma that slightly washes out the picture, 120fps it is perfect, so depending on your frames depends on how much gamma shift there is.
If you have never had oled before I doubt you would notice the raised gamma, because the near black when raised will still be lower than an lcd :)
My first screen is now about 3-4 years old, no burn in. Was used for gaming but I tend to play a variety of games. Tbh, if I had burn in, i think it would be hard not to get another because the pq is that much better.

I have to mention that I view and game in a pitch black room. This is were the screen excels. In a room with lights on or direct sunlight, the screen especially in hdr will be too dim and they wouldn't have the same positive review as me :D

Not true, you'd have to be in a room at night with max cranked out lights for it to look dim. Most people have lamps on or dimmer lights in their living rooms. Their rooms aren't drenched in light.

As for sunlight, any tv will look dull in sunlight.

Soldato
But when you move to desktop usage, Windows etc, that very much is the case. Unless it's a 2nd screen as a dedicated gaming monitor and never used for general Windows stuff.

This is exactly how I use mine. I have an LCD screen on the desk for productivity and the OLED is wall mounted and purely for gaming/TV/Netflix. I've actually done a ghetto mod to a musical keyboard stand to create a makeshift desk for K&M gaming. 120Hz @4k with Gsync on an OLED is the best you can get for image quality IMO. However, I couldn't bear to use it for desktop functionality.

If you want to go OLED, my advice is retain your LCD screen and stick the OLED on the wall. Oh, and make sure you have a GPU that will do Gsync or AMD equivalent.

Soldato
Linus Tech tips and The Good Old Gamer have videos up which make for interesting viewing

OLED + Ryzen 3100/b450mobo/3600cpu + 2070/5700 gpu = smoother more clarity gaming experience than a mad expensive high end rig (3080/6800) + 360Hz monitor?

Anyone got an OLED they game on, that can confirm this? This could be a huge shift away from the mindset of needing a crazy high end refresh rate monitor setup and expensive GPU?

GOOD OLD GAMER
https://youtu.be/FGmY5vvhtAA

LINUS TECH
https://youtu.be/x9n8Hz_RLqw

The price of OLEDs though :o

Id rather game at 60Hz on my OLED compared to 144Hz on my IPS

Back
Top Bottom