• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon 'Navi' 6900XT vs Nvidia 3080?

Associate
Unless AMD are coming to the market with an alternative to DLSS, being slightly more powerful won't be good enough, since DLSS 3.0 is reported to be generically trained and therefore capable of increasing frame rates by 40%+ in basically any game.

I am all for DLSS-like tech, however DLSS 2 that is in new games is already trained in generic way and can work in any game - but only as long as devs implement it in game properly, as it has specific requirements for how game feeds it data. DLSS 3 is so far just urban legend and does not exist yet and might never exist in the future.
On the other hand DirectX 12 has DirectML technology which can be used for DLSS-like processing (and many other things), using hardware like tensor cores, etc. AMD just has to use it, that's it. And they well might - we'll find out by the end of this month. It possibly is already present and working in new xbox console.

Soldato
DLSS shouldn't even be required imo, if a game that looks as good as Doom Eternal can be played at 4K at the level of performance it offers then there are too many under optimised game engines on the market.

With AMD it pays to be skeptical and expect the worst that you won't be disappointed come release day.

TrM

TrM

Associate
AMD have already shown a 6000 series Gpu that almost matches the 3080 so what you have wrote is way off the mark. AMD only said it was a 6000 gpu so it might not even be there top card but they definitely have something better than a 3070.

I find it funny you point out that they show it matched a 3080 but they didn’t even say in which context the numbers was. The slide could have shown max FPS numbers not average. They could have used a more cpu limited part of the game to test.

We can’t tell much from what they showed. If u also look at the whole presentation the video on borderlands 3 when they put up the average numbers for the cpu just look at the borderlands video they was showing it never got anywhere close to the numbers they shown.

we really don’t know how close that 6000 series gpu was compared to a 3080 it could be 20% slower it could be as powerful or even 5% in front we just don’t know

Man of Honour
I find it funny you point out that they show it matched a 3080 but they didn’t even say in which context the numbers was. The slide could have shown max FPS numbers not average. They could have used a more cpu limited part of the game to test.

We can’t tell much from what they showed. If u also look at the whole presentation the video on borderlands 3 when they put up the average numbers for the cpu just look at the borderlands video they was showing it never got anywhere close to the numbers they shown.

we really don’t know how close that 6000 series gpu was compared to a 3080 it could be 20% slower it could be as powerful or even 5% in front we just don’t know

We don't but it is a fairly good bet it is the average numbers from the canned benchmark and roughly comparable to other results from the canned benchmark with the same settings shown.

It also matches up pretty much with what you'd expect from the 5700XT numbers and taking into account the likely specs of big Navi with an estimation of the increases from architecture refinements, etc.

Associate
I am all for DLSS-like tech, however DLSS 2 that is in new games is already trained in generic way and can work in any game - but only as long as devs implement it in game properly, as it has specific requirements for how game feeds it data. DLSS 3 is so far just urban legend and does not exist yet and might never exist in the future.
On the other hand DirectX 12 has DirectML technology which can be used for DLSS-like processing (and many other things), using hardware like tensor cores, etc. AMD just has to use it, that's it. And they well might - we'll find out by the end of this month. It possibly is already present and working in new xbox console.
Hopefully so, I hadn't heard of this but it sounds promising. It's also an example of why Microsoft having a console benefits PC gamers too. Cool!

Soldato
Yeah i got fed up with AMD driver issues ages ago maybe Xfire didnt help, but won't go back now.

I must be really lucky or just good ;) Even with Xfire in the past I've rarely had any issues with drivers. My 5700XT has been great, certainly no different to my GTX 1070 I had before. I do prefer the image on the AMD cards though so that's why I usually buy them.

I don't tinker too much with settings so that may have a bearing on my lack of issues?

Associate
Like a lot of green teamers with an expensive G-Sync monitor, even if Navi was faster than a 3090, it would be irrelevant. Its the undermining of Nvidia's top end monopoly which definitely is relevant.

That is my issue bro, I have a Gsync monitor...I have a preorder in for a 3080 but it's going to be a while. Thinking about getting a 6900xt and just not having the gsync function. My 5950x gets delivered tomorrow and the more I think about it the more I want a 6900xt.

Back
Top Bottom