• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
It doesn`t matter if you can`t notice the differences while playing. If it is true that Nvidia image quality is worse, it means their FPS performance is much lower than what they want you to believe. You can lower some settings on the AMD card and get more FPS and the image will look the same as the image from Nvidia Ultra settings.
Exactly! Right now my card choice comes down to the first one I win, plain and simple, I would preffer a 3080 but that's only due to a 9% average advantage in VR, but either card will do, not fussy.

Soldato
About RT on RDNA2. It looks like it's not only DXR. :)
https://twitter.com/nerdtechgasm/status/1331345351702265859
It would be interesting to know what current RT games use inline rendering (I think DXR 1 doesn't have it so it may be fair to assume that none of the current RT games use this feature) and how much of a performance boost it gives.
Well devs now know how to optimise for RDNA 2, and Nvidia now know how to sabotage games for it.

Associate
This IQ issue is just a load of rubbish.

It really isn't, both vendors process image in a different way so of course you get different results in the pipeline just how cameras work - imaging processing.

Image IQ should be considered very important when buying high end GPUs as thats a large part of why they are made so powerful to start with.

Associate
It would be interesting to know what current RT games use inline rendering (I think DXR 1 doesn't have it so it may be fair to assume that none of the current RT games use this feature) and how much of a performance boost it gives.
Well devs now know how to optimise for RDNA 2, and Nvidia now know how to sabotage games for it.
Success for AMD means the success of the consoles, especially the X Box series. From there to PC it is just a small step, AMD just need to move their lazy asses and help the devs.
For Nvidia sponsored titles, far bigger market share on PC and (most likely) a better RT product. Until we have some evidence that RDNA can do better, Ampere is still the king in RT. And anyone who wants their game to be sold to PC's will not be able to ignore Nvidia.

Soldato
That's incorrect. AMD revised dxr 1.0 to work better with amd uarch in dxr 1.1. To better align the software for amd. Leaving 1.0 for Nvidia as they too worked with ms. IT DOESNT mean that 1.1 won't work with Nvidia.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/ray-tracing-microsoft-dxr-co-developed?amp

One thing you failed to compared is that an api works best when tailored for the hardware. No matter if its AMD or Nvidia. There is no such thing as optimal code that is neutral.

Brief: RDNA2 optimized RT requires DXR 1.1 inline RT and heavy use of asynchronous compute queues. RA to LDS for feedback loops, similar to NV using shared SM memory. Specific workgroup size, so devs have to factor that in for optimal perf. Avoid TMU ops when RT.

To add, because LDS is utilized heavily, while waiting for ray-intersection results from RA, SIMD lanes free to run other async shaders, just use ones that don't stress bandwidth & LDS. Doing so results in recovering some of the perf lost (time spent) of RT.

Like I said before AMD amended the original DXR so that it works better with AMD RDNA 2. Nvidia can still keep DXR 1.0. And if they want, adapt to AMD's way of doing RT using DXR 1.1. Either way AMD is in command of how RT will be used in games as they are the leaders in the the console market and console ported to PC gaming market.

Associate
It's it not like that i think both gens are DXR 1.1 compatible. The interesting things in the clip are the instructions about how to optimize the game for the RDNA2 and about the denoisers.

Soldato
It's it not like that i think both gens are DXR 1.1 compatible. The interesting things in the clip are the instructions about how to optimize the game for the RDNA2 and about the denoisers.
One of the biggest changes in 1.1 is that AMD now has more direct control over raytracing workload scheduling.

Exactly!!!!
I have no doubt it will debut in CB2077.

Last edited:
Soldato

What that quote suggests, is that AMD's horrendous RT performance in Cold War is working as intended and yes there is a way to get some more performance but it requires the developer to change the way the game handles it.

This will make for some interesting times - developers won't want to make two sets of ray tracing paths. Nvidia can just ask the developer to run shader and RT ops at the same time to troll AMD cards down to 10fps because unlike Ampere, RDNA2 can't do simultaneous ops on the shader.

Can look forward to future Nvidia sponsored games being unplayable on RDNA2 with RT turned on until RDNA3 arrives with simultaneous ops support.

Last edited:
Associate
What that quote suggests, is that AMD's horrendous RT performance in Cold War is working as intended and yes there is a way to get some more performance but it requires the developer to change the way the game handles it.

This will make for some interesting times - developers won't want to make two sets of ray tracing paths. Nvidia can just ask the developer to run shader and RT ops at the same time to troll AMD cards down to 10fps because unlike Ampere, RDNA2 can't do simultaneous ops on the shader.

Can look forward to future Nvidia sponsored games being unplayable on RDNA2 with RT turned on until RDNA3 arrives with simultaneous ops support.

They will need a ton of money for that and it will be easier with the PC only titles. The rest will have two sets anyway because they will sell most of their games on consoles and from the consoles to Big Navi it is a small step. It is true that anyone who wants to sell his game on PCs will have to optimize the game for Nvidia.
But we will see better performance on Big Navi RT, i told you that right now we see brute force RT. I don't expect them to beat Ampere but they will do much better than what we see right now.

Associate
Here is the story about Battlefield 5 and brute force RT on 2080Ti. The game was unplayable before optimization.
AMD will have to move their lazy asses and help the devs to optimize the games for Big Navi.

And the promo clip from Nvidia:

Soldato
OP
Here is the story about Battlefield 5 and brute force RT on 2080Ti. The game was unplayable before optimization.
AMD will have to move their lazy asses and help the devs to optimize the games for Big Navi.

Well once the new consoles start hitting a larger critical mass,the devs will be doing some of the work AMD does essentially for free. Even Samsung is using RDNA2 in its next generation SOCs. AMD,if anything needs to make sure the console optimisations over the next few years don't get sidestepped in the PC versions.

Soldato
Yes I know this,

Just wondering would Sapphire be the best to get

If you want the best built PCB board and components and a binned chip: Asus Strix OC
If you want the best all-round air-cooled card which does not have an over-engineered PCB: Sapphire Nitro.

We might see an OC Formula from Asrock and a Toxic from Sapphire which might have a go at the best card but we have not seen announcements yet, i expect we might get more info for CES 2021.

Soldato

And the promo clip from Nvidia:

I seriously doubt AMD will dedicate any resources for such an old game.
BFVI...that's another story, allegedly. ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I see the usual Nvidia apologists are doing their thing in this thread... out come the excuses "blah blah youtube video blah blah" ok if your so smart how comes its clearly identifiable with both screenshots side by side on youtube? surely if its youtube compression both screens would look bad? next defence is "Dirt 5 is not a next gen game" lets be honest, admit it, its an AMD sponsored game, so therefore its fair game to point out its not Nvidia friendly...

Seriously the usual suspect in here are upto their usual straw grasping tactics, pathetic as usual.

This is the kinda gimping that needs to be shown to a few youtuber channels to see who will actually investigate it, would be interesting to see if GN or HU would take a deeper look.
I wouldn't take too much from that vid. If you actually bothered to watch it and listened to the guy, you would know what is what but if we want to do this, that juddering on the AMD side is horrendous. How anyone can play like that is beyond me.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom