Upgrade Mordaunt Short Premiere 5.1 speakers to Dali Spektors? Worth it?

Soldato
OP
Well, an update to this saga.

To recap, I have Mordaunt Short:-
All through an Onkyo 646 amp.

I was considering upgrading all the speakers, but in the end various advice and help definately tightened up the sound of the existing speakers and simply left me wondering then if replacing the small center 304 with a bigger 905 (sort of to match of 902 fronts) would help.

I finally got one (second hand of course) and after a lot of player films and music, came to the conclusion there was minimal difference, and if anything I'd have to say my existing smaller 304 was a tad clearer/tighter to listen to, especially for dialog. So, given the 905 would require messing about to fit in my current config, I'll stick with the smaller 304.

note: There is the potential that the second hand 905 isn't working at 100% potential I guess...

Man of Honour
Accepting the possibility that the 905c is in some way broken but setting that idea aside for a moment; the larger centre should be more capable, but it requires some work to integrate it. The smaller centre with less bass will be easier to integrate but ultimately more limited in the frequency range. A lot depends on the room and the positioning of the speaker.

Soldato
OP
Accepting the possibility that the 905c is in some way broken but setting that idea aside for a moment; the larger centre should be more capable, but it requires some work to integrate it. The smaller centre with less bass will be easier to integrate but ultimately more limited in the frequency range. A lot depends on the room and the positioning of the speaker.
Well, the 905C sounded fine. ie: It was very very close to my existing 304. So while it make be damaged/warn, it certainly was pretty functional.

I had a hard time telling the two apart - I was swapping between then in just 5s or so at times and listening to the same audio - but at times the smaller 304 definately just sounded cleaner, especially with dialog in movies. With the 905 the dialog didn't sound as fixed/clean, if that's an appropriate description. But it was very close...

I'm sure the 905 would probably be more capable at high volumes, but again I tested at as loud a volume as I'd typically ever use, and that's where the 304 was the same, or possibly better to my ears.

Note: It's a 905C, not a 905Ci. But I believe they're basically identical.

ps: Thanks again for your help ealier in the year configuring the existing set up! Helpful!

Soldato
That 1" rear room is a non starter will make zero difference.

A centre channel in free air is amazing. My rack is hardly constrictive and it used to sit inside it.

Now I put an amp there so no room, it sits on top the AV rack on monitor speaker foam isolation pads. You can just hear the speaker breathe and there's so much texture to vocals.

Back
Top Bottom