Tabletop Warhammer?

Associate
UbHA1Of

A Necron lord I’ve recently finished

Soldato
I used to play 40K as a young teenager and collected Imperial Guard (Catachans). Still have some of my models but plenty will be illegal now, and the paint jobs are awful regardless.

Anyway a few at work are in a similar position and now late 20s to mid 30s were talking about it and maybe having a few games. However the GW website is pretty poor when it comes to introducing the factions; Imperial Guard isn't called that any more, but what I'm looking for is a summary of all the armies, their play style, what the grunt units are and what are some of the more interesting but 'likely to be used' units are... if that make sense.

Basically so I can see what would be interesting to paint and play with.

If anyone can recommend then I used to like armies that had interesting, one-off units with unique abilities (we used to play totally illegally by fielding like 5 commisars...), where tactics are more interesting than sending ratlings to their slaughter via a million D20s. I don't have the time, patience or interest any more to be painting skin I don't think, so something armoured or alien. And I did like vehicles (sentinels for example). Not interested in Space Marines or anything else basic. Also not interested in Orcs, just don't like the clutter of the models.

Soldato
Tau bits arrived last week - the Start Collecting set and paints, brushes, glue... everything basically. I haven't touched anything Warhammer since I was in my tweens 20 years ago, so I don't know if it's that or Tau, but the models seem far more intricate than I remember! Anyway, enjoyed the build, though probably erroneously started on a Battlesuit thinking it'd have less/bigger parts... how wrong I was.

Anyway, painted it yesterday and I think I'm happy considering! I'm sure you pros/semi pros will see faults :D. Any tips welcome.

XM6aZhZ.jpg

bkXDG8R.jpg

xi6YnQo.jpg

J8xRvG3.jpg

And yeah, I didn't stick to a defined sept colours... I like blue and don't like red so *shrug*!

Soldato
I haven't touched anything Warhammer since I was in my tweens 20 years ago, so I don't know if it's that or Tau, but the models seem far more intricate than I remember!

They are, massively so. My parents recently dropped round my old childhood warhammer after they'd been clearing stuff from their attic and I was surprised just how much less intricate the models were, the detail is so much rougher, on both the old plastic and old metal figures. I was also a lot worse at painting than I had remembered :p

Back
Top Bottom