LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
no you can't connect the blower fan to the gsync header, one of the fans is 5v and the other is 12v. Nice try though

Ok, but would the blower fan (12v) run at lower speed? Or wouldn’t even kick in? Or would it burn? I don’t wanna either Damage the fan or the header...is it safe to try it?

Associate
Also question: is this the fan header for the Gsync fan? https://www.aquatuning.es/cables/ventiladores-cables-adaptadores/20542/phobya-pwm-adapter-for-vga

i
f so we could swap it for a 75mm fan with 4pin header say from a vga replacement or a laptop cpu fan, or the noctuas...
I've used that connector elsewhere before (on a GPU) but I have a feeling it wasn't the same as the fan connector on the 38GL. I think someone earlier in the thread mentioned replacing the gsync fan with a similarly sized GPU fan but then discovered that their GPU fan of choice was 12V whereas the gsync fan is 5V. I'm really energized by your tenacity; I think if you can survive until this weekend I'll dump all my photos of my mod online and you might benefit a bit from looking through them!

Associate
Hello,

I have a 38GL950G with a partially smashed screen. I contacted LG to determine how much the repairs would cost but I fear it's going to be 1000€/£. I checked online if I could order the panel only to try and replace it myself but couldn't.

Would anyone have an idea of how much the panel would cost or if I can find a replacement unit online?

Thanks!

https://ibb.co/RCY8LdY
IMG-1541.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all.
First off I managed to find the 4 Pin fan port for the 5-volt PWM fan used by the G-SYNC module. It is a 1.25mm pitch TJC12510 header made by CWB. I can't find any retailers that sell these connectors but I found that the Hirose Connector DF14 series uses almost the exact same design and only lacks the locking clip (FYI: I have yet to receive my connectors so this is still hypothetical, but I'm feeling good about this one).

Hey @harrispilton I know its been months since you did this DYI mod of the gsync fan, but i'm trying to achieve something similar with my GL950 now and I was wondering about the fan connectors u used (DF14-4S-1.25C from mouser) did you also had to buy the DF14-3032SCF pins or did the connectors came with them? I'm planning on buying them so I need to know before making the order. Thanks in advance.

Associate
I've used that connector elsewhere before (on a GPU) but I have a feeling it wasn't the same as the fan connector on the 38GL. I think someone earlier in the thread mentioned replacing the gsync fan with a similarly sized GPU fan but then discovered that their GPU fan of choice was 12V whereas the gsync fan is 5V. I'm really energized by your tenacity; I think if you can survive until this weekend I'll dump all my photos of my mod online and you might benefit a bit from looking through them!

Hey! Just checking in! If you find the time, those photos could be very useful for anyone here trying to get their GL silent ;)

Associate
I bought my 38GL950G-B around 2 months ago, manufactured date 09/2020 it’s rev02. I can’t hear the fan at all. If I put my ear right next to the top vent, I can definitely hear the fan. It’s very faint. When I normally sit around 2ft away from the monitor, I can’t hear the fan at all. However, the deep sleep issue is present with this monitor. My settings are 120hz 10bit RGB full and response time “faster.” When the monitor wakes from deep sleep, it goes to 100hz 8bit RGB limited and response time “fast.” Only way to get the my settings back is to manually turn off the monitor and turn it back on. Even then, the response time doesn’t revert back to “faster” and I have manually set it again. I read this entire thread and my understanding , sort of, is to buy a new DP cable??? Is that right? I lived with deep sleep off for a while, but then the fan runs 24/7 and the monitor is basically eating up lots of electricity while it’s off. That just seems like a waste when monitors and TVs these days advertise like 0.5~1W standby, when this crazy expensive monitor eats like 30W on standby. Also, I use my computer only a few hours day max, some days much less, and the rest of the time, the monitor is essentially ON shortening the lifespan. LG always seems to be lacking 2% from making great products.

Mui

Mui

Associate
I got my screen right around when it came out. The fan was quiet until few days ago. I stumbled on this topic while searching for a solution.
The first I tried to do is simply disconnecting which worked, but seeing temperature top at 78, I decided its not an option. With fan disconnected, but still inside I decided to try a smallest fan I had just sitting on the top of back gsync enclosure as you will see in the picture. This drastically lower the temperature to around 44-46. I need to find a fan that will do a better job here, but this worked. Now i need to find better implementation of that.
http://imgur.com/gallery/7U9A5un

Associate
I got my screen right around when it came out. The fan was quiet until few days ago. I stumbled on this topic while searching for a solution.
The first I tried to do is simply disconnecting which worked, but seeing temperature top at 78, I decided its not an option. With fan disconnected, but still inside I decided to try a smallest fan I had just sitting on the top of back gsync enclosure as you will see in the picture. This drastically lower the temperature to around 44-46. I need to find a fan that will do a better job here, but this worked. Now i need to find better implementation of that.
Nice! What size fan is it? 40mm?

Associate

Those temps are with the back of the monitor in place (so closed) or with it removed? i find them very low to have it closed...with it closed, i topped at 95º and turned it off as I was afraid of damaging it...With it open i topped at 88º (OC@160hz+HDR running for 4h)

I like your idea of the small 40mm fan, but i doubt it would fit with the back of the monitor in place (so closed), that's my ultimate goal, but i will give it a go. I just received some NF-A4x10 that I have to try.

Also, in the mean time I'm giving the 38GN950 a second try, but I cant keep finding the ghosting on this one way worse than in the GL, i'm sure is very little difference, but i can tell it, night and day.

Soldato
I'm really tempted by this screen but the possibility of dead pixels scares the hell out of me, especially considering the price.

I've heard LG have a very poor policy when it comes to these, is this true? Has anyone here had one with dead pixels (sorry it's rather hard searching 1800+ posts) and what sort of remediation were you able to get?

Associate
You can return it within 14 days without a reason, so if you unpack it carefully and find dead pixels you can send it back. I’m only a sample of one, but mine has been great and most folk aren’t likely to post on forums unless they are asking questions or posting about problems which leaves mostly happy customers.

FWIW I’ve never had a dead pixel on any screen I’ve had, and I’ve had a fair few.

Associate
So have we solved the issue where the monitor goes into deep sleep and comes back with downgraded refresh rates. It happens to me every now and then. Its so weird.

is it really a cable issue?

Soldato
It is a strange one, I suffered it for over a year on my 2080ti couldn't use deep sleep, I upgraded to a 3090fe and thought one day I'd try deep sleep again and it's worked fine ever since over 100 power on's, same DP cable that came with the monitor.

Soldato
I'm really tempted by this screen but the possibility of dead pixels scares the hell out of me, especially considering the price.

I've heard LG have a very poor policy when it comes to these, is this true? Has anyone here had one with dead pixels (sorry it's rather hard searching 1800+ posts) and what sort of remediation were you able to get?

I have a stuck pixel on mine, just the one on green, can only see it on a black screen, everything else was good such as bleed etc on the monitor so decided to keep it.

Associate
It is a strange one, I suffered it for over a year on my 2080ti couldn't use deep sleep, I upgraded to a 3090fe and thought one day I'd try deep sleep again and it's worked fine ever since over 100 power on's, same DP cable that came with the monitor.

interesting. I have a 2070 super. I wonder if its an issue with the 2000 series and the 3000 dont have it. Ive been trying to get a hold of a 3080 at retail price for 4 months now

Associate
So I ended up getting the Odyssey G7 32" and decided I will keep it instead of my LG 38GL950G that I have had for the past 8 months.

Not that I don't like the LG, it's a beautiful and excellent gaming monitor, but I like to be very competative in PUBG, and the LG I felt was too wide for me. Made it difficult to focus, so I went back to a 16:9 with the Odyssey G7, and I instantly feel a lot more focused, not so much screen to scan from side to side. Plus it does feel slightly faster and more responsive being 240Hz. The picture quality is not bad, the contrast is great and the black are very good, the only thing I miss is the colors that pop from the Nano IPS panel of the LG.

Anyways, hopefully in the future LG makes 32+" Nano IPS 240Hz panel and I will get that.

Associate
Yeah screw that, I'm not paying well into four figures to get stuck with defects.

one thing i worry about getting a new monitor.

I've had mine since summer last year and i've really enjoyed having it. that being said, i think sometimes a double monitor set up would have been more useful. Work, it's fine, i can split two applications easily enough. Games like Tarkov where i might want a map up at the same time, it would have been a lot more useful to have a second monitor rather than alt-tabbing.

Back
Top Bottom