New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Associate
Is there a reason people cannot wait? reminds me of the RTX saga, everyone wants it "now".

The LG is now off my list again lol, and I might put dell back on it, as hardware unboxed did provide settings to dial in a sRGB'ish profile manually, the reason been the LG stand base is huge, my existing 27 inch is on the far left of my desk, and the LG just wouldnt work.

Well I, like others here, have waited for 1 1/2 months already, and am now expected to wait till the end of Jan...

Soldato
Well I, like others here, have waited for 1 1/2 months already, and am now expected to wait till the end of Jan...

Ahh ok, if they not holding to date's yeah thats silly, they shouldnt be giving dates if they not sure.

Any idea why they went from people ordering and getting next day to a sudden no supply?

Associate
Ended up cancelling and getting the LG 27 GL850 yesterday, great monitor, better than I expected! Also on the Ps5 it says the resolution is displaying 2160P so don't know how that works if the monitor is 1440P? Well worth it anyway, wasn't waiting til January.
Where did you purchase the LG? Can’t find them anywhere!

Associate
None available for delivery or pickup in the various post codes I've tried. Hoping Ocuk get theirs on their predicted date.

Quite a lot in store around where I am.

On another note, my LG CX OLED 55 inch TV got delivered today... decided to see what my games would look like for a brief moment.. omg, all monitors are dead to me now lol.

Ffs why is the monitor industry so bad compared to TVs ? I am almost considering getting the 48 inch one as a monitor!

Associate
Quite a lot in store around where I am.

On another note, my LG CX OLED 55 inch TV got delivered today... decided to see what my games would look like for a brief moment.. omg, all monitors are dead to me now lol.

Ffs why is the monitor industry so bad compared to TVs ? I am almost considering getting the 48 inch one as a monitor!

They are stunning screens and awesome for gaming on, the only thing that puts me off having any oled as a 24/7 monitor is that you have to baby them as regards to burn in, as a second screen for games is fine or as a TV and wack a ps or xbox on should still be OK. I leave my pc on for long periods of time and would forget to turn the screen off. If they could eradicate burn in completely I would have an oled in a heart beat as my gaming monitor for single player games at least.

Caporegime
They are stunning screens and awesome for gaming on, the only thing that puts me off having any oled as a 24/7 monitor is that you have to baby them as regards to burn in, as a second screen for games is fine or as a TV and wack a ps or xbox on should still be OK. I leave my pc on for long periods of time and would forget to turn the screen off. If they could eradicate burn in completely I would have an oled in a heart beat as my gaming monitor for single player games at least.
Yeah, any kind of persistent HUD or UI and all bets are off.

Some people are happy to take that risk, but it would be a massive shame to end up with screen burn on an expensive OLED.

e: Well the LG 27GL850-B is completely sold out, lol. Only places with stock are the ones taking the mick with pricing (£500+).

I will admit, and probably take a beating for it - I'm getting a wee bit cheesed off with all the people saying, "I just bought xxx, I didn't really need it, I don't even know what I'm going to do with it, but it was such a great price I just bought it!"

Leave some stuff on the shelves for those of us who actually need an upgrade, haha.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all, just thought I would give you an update from the email just received from Dell. Guess its going to take a while to fulfill the backlog of order's.
As per the update from the factory team, the order is on hold as there is a shortage of this unit.

They expect the unit to be back in stock by 11th Dec after which they can start shipping out the orders

Associate
Hi all, just thought I would give you an update from the email just received from Dell. Guess its going to take a while to fulfill the backlog of order's.

They can expect all they want, this monitor is not coming anytime soon. End of Jan is a more realistic date to look forward to lol.

People have been waiting since start of October now, with constant delays and excuses.

Soldato
At least they have given some kind of date to expect something. Mine does not evne show an delivery date target anymore. Once they finally get whatever parts they need I expect them to work through the backlog quickly unless they have 1000's of orders.

Soldato
I ordered the A variant on the 9th of november, since then I have had my order delayed 3 times, and have been offered a 10% discount. Anyone else who ordered around a similar time receive any further information, or had their order delivered?

Soldato
you guys are right my date has already changed, from what I am speculating its an automatic holding date. That is automatically around 2 months ahead of current date.

I ordered on 21 November, Delivery date 21 Jan
I checked today (no email notice of change), and it now says delivery date 26 Jan.

Caporegime
you guys are right my date has already changed, from what I am speculating its an automatic holding date. That is automatically around 2 months ahead of current date.

I ordered on 21 November, Delivery date 21 Jan
I checked today (no email notice of change), and it now says delivery date 26 Jan.
Since we were talking about wide gamut earlier, I have done some more reading, and it appears the problem is completely unsolvable!

After calibration you end up with a set of colour mappings called an ICC profile (apologies I'm sure this is teaching you to suck eggs) - the problem with this being that almost nothing in Windows land supports colour management. Only the Photos app, Chrome, Adobe Photoshop and.... and.... (tumbleweed). For gaming, it's worse still. Seems every game is mastered in sRGB colour space.

So your colours in just about everything will look really oversaturated, especially in games.

The only way to solve this in a wide-gamut monitor is an sRGB clamp - the one flaw in the Dell, because it does not have one. So sad!

On the flip side, the LG I was seriously considering does not support Freesync properly over HDMI... swings and sodding roundabouts!

But I think the oversaturated colours could be a deal breaker.

Associate
I found some reddit threads with few recommended color settings for S2721dgf along with ICC profiles. So there is solution to oversatured color problem, but I just didn't try it personally. Woud it be possible to ask Dell to provide sRGB color profile for the monitor? Or is it a little chance?

Caporegime
I found some reddit threads with few recommended color settings for S2721dgf along with ICC profiles. So there is solution to oversatured color problem, but I just didn't try it personally. Woud it be possible to ask Dell to provide sRGB color profile for the monitor? Or is it a little chance?
Sadly the ICC colour profiles only work with a tiny, tiny, tiny number of apps. This is not the same as playing with the monitor's own settings (although you can do that too if you're not worried at all about colour accuracy and just want to reduce the saturation, but it's like two wrongs failing to make a right in that case :p)

All games and most web content appear to be mastered in sRGB, according to what I've read. And hardly anything in Windows land uses ICC profiles/colour management, so your profile will just be ignored by most apps.

Soldato
Since we were talking about wide gamut earlier, I have done some more reading, and it appears the problem is completely unsolvable!

After calibration you end up with a set of colour mappings called an ICC profile (apologies I'm sure this is teaching you to suck eggs) - the problem with this being that almost nothing in Windows land supports colour management. Only the Photos app, Chrome, Adobe Photoshop and.... and.... (tumbleweed). For gaming, it's worse still. Seems every game is mastered in sRGB colour space.

So your colours in just about everything will look really oversaturated, especially in games.

The only way to solve this in a wide-gamut monitor is an sRGB clamp - the one flaw in the Dell, because it does not have one. So sad!

On the flip side, the LG I was seriously considering does not support Freesync properly over HDMI... swings and sodding roundabouts!

But I think the oversaturated colours could be a deal breaker.

Yeah I dont know what goes through the minds of these manufacturers, how can a company who has made monitors for decades not put in such a critical feature?

To clarify though the sRGB profile supplied by Hardware Unboxed is monitor settings, not an ICC profile.

Last edited:
Associate
My order date is 18th of November and my expected delivery date is 26th of Jan also. Which I believe is the same date for everyone else.
Not quite mine's still showing 18th Dec but then I'm probably one of the longest outstanding orders - 5th Oct and I know ppl that ordered after me have got theirs

Back
Top Bottom