• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 6800 & 6800 XT MBA LAUNCH AT 2PM TODAY - EXTREMELY LIMITED STOCK!

Associate
Yes but prices are subject to change +/- but any movement in price will only be a small percentage either way.

Good that you're being upfront that this is basically another paper launch, but this small percentage shift in price I'm not buying. The Palit entry level 3080 cards you initially put on at under MSRP (£630 if I recall), but they are £750 now. The MSRP of the AMD founders cards is £599, but you're already over 13% more expensive from launch :rolleyes:

Associate
This was to be predicted across all component markets the moment Covid hit.
The channel and warehouses usually hold enough stock for current demand +6 months, we are now over the 6 months threshold since the world came to a standstill thanks to Covid and surprise surprise the channel dried up.
Companies then announce and "release" (if you can call it that) new products but they are not technically available due to the 3 to 6 months backlog.

This applies to all sorts of manufacturing however IT has been hit the most due to people being stuck at home, work remotely etc...

As Gibbo has stated the companies themselves have caused this sh*tstorm and let the end retailers suffer for it.

Soldato
In fairness if we had known in advance how short Ampere would be we would have taken similar measures.

By doing so it will mean there will be no mad rush at OcUK, we will miss out on taking around 10,000 backorders and having over 9000 very annoyed customers blaming us as to why they won't get a card this side of Christmas.

When our small amounts of stock land, the only, ONLY mention of them being here and being made available to order shall be this forum, NOWHERE ELSE, marketing are under instructions no promotion on any more GPU's until stocks can improve.

The manufacturers have got to stop this, yes launch products but launch them with much larger stock piles.

Sounds like a sensible course of action to be honest, and also appreciated that you throw the forum members a bone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
This update doesn't explain or even attempt to justify the price scalping of way beyond "a small percentage". People were seeing price jumps of £50+ as they were trying to check out. I personally saw the 3080 FTW3 ULTRA price oscillate up and down by a margin of £100.

It's also a shame that the "we're unwilling to let a crazy backorder situation to build up on a product that we see very little stock incoming this year" attitude didn't apply to 30x0 pre-orders that were left open long after other retailers stopped theirs. For a long time it was only EVGA who you stopped taking orders on. Again, taking peoples money up front for cards OCUK knew they weren't going to get for weeks, perhaps months, or ever - in practical terms given the queue size.

The decision on scalp on prices is entirely deliberate. All this nonsense about "exchange rates" etc when contracts will have been signed and quantities ordered however long ago is just flat out disingenuous.

Good job finally doing the right thing I guess, on one specific product line, weeks after ignoring all complaints about the other stuff.

Soldato
So to confirm they are getting 6800xt’s today but won’t make them available except on this forum? Should get some priority due to 5900x on preorder

Associate
This update doesn't explain or even attempt to justify the price scalping of way beyond "a small percentage". People were seeing price jumps of £50+ as they were trying to check out. I personally saw the FTW3 ULTRA price oscillate up and down by a margin of £100.

It's also a shame that the "we're unwilling to let a crazy backorder situation to build up on a product that we see very little stock incoming this year" attitude didn't apply to 30x0 pre-orders that were left open long after other retailers stopped theirs. Again, taking peoples money up front for cards OCUK knew they weren't going to get for weeks.

The decision on scalp on prices is entirely deliberate. All this nonsense about "exchange rates" etc when contracts will have been signed and quantities ordered however long ago is just flat out disingenuous.

Good job finally doing the right thing I guess, on one specific product line, weeks after ignoring all complaints about the other stuff.

I don't see it as doing the right thing, It's bloody common sense. If they took pre-orders, they would be causing massive problems for them selves and us so this move is just logical.

Soldato
I don't see it as doing the right thing, It's bloody common sense. If they took pre-orders, they would be causing massive problems for them selves and us so this move is just logical.
It is common sense, yes. Didn't stop preorders being taken for weeks for AIB 3080s that people weren't going to get for weeks or months given the queue sizes, and taking full payment up front for them. It is notable that other retailers had the good grace to stop taking preorders once their queues got to a point where they considered it to be several weeks worth of incoming stock.

Back
Top Bottom