elite dangerous is currently free on epic store

Soldato
I played elite way back when, when it originally came out.

The only games I've played thus far in VR are with the controllers. I'm in the process of downloading it. What control inputs are people generally using with this ?

Saitex X52 pro... and even then it doesn't have enough buttons!

It's recommended you use voice recognition software like voice attack if you want to get the best out of it.

Soldato

It's recommended you use voice recognition software like voice attack if you want to get the best out of it.

i dont like mapping lots of things to buttons, its not realistic. I prefer proper virtual cockpits, and in VR that should be possible and authentic. a jet pilot doesn't have fifty hot keys. Cant see keyboard or stick in VR anyway. Voice command thing sounds interesting though, sounds like something the spaceship would have if it was real.

Last edited:
Soldato
i dont like mapping lots of things to buttons, its not realistic. I prefer proper virtual cockpits, and in VR that should be possible and authentic. a jet pilot doesn't have fifty hot keys. Cant see keyboard or stick in VR anyway. Voice command thing sounds interesting though, sounds like something the spaceship would have if it was real.

Virtual yokes just don't work that well. There's no feedback, and no self centering. In Elite the throttle and yoke represented in VR and your virtual hands approximate the positions of the throttle and yoke and your hands in real life. It's surprisingly immersive.

The best compromise would be hand tracking for virtual buttons in the cockpit, but use a real throttle and stick to control the spacecraft.

Soldato
you gotta remember even when Frontier were big on VR ED was always a flat screen game with VR support, I dont think it is feasible to expect a full on VR experience with motion controllers.

hell when VR came to ED there wasnt even motion controllers or 6DOF tracking (there was only the rift DK1 at the time)

Soldato
Virtual yokes just don't work that well. There's no feedback, and no self centering. In Elite the throttle and yoke represented in VR and your virtual hands approximate the positions of the throttle and yoke and your hands in real life. It's surprisingly immersive.

The best compromise would be hand tracking for virtual buttons in the cockpit, but use a real throttle and stick to control the spacecraft.

Yeah thats what I meant. Definitely not a virtual stick. A real stick, with some reasonable controls mapped to it (like thrust, yaw), but with buttons for landing gear etc as virtual buttons not hotkeys or keyboard shortcuts.

Just been playing it again. It is awesome. I took a mission to find some tea, but been to three starbases and can't find any. more youtubing now I think to figure it out.

Im only using an xbox pad, i don't have a stick.

Soldato
Yeah thats what I meant. Definitely not a virtual stick. A real stick, with some reasonable controls mapped to it (like thrust, yaw), but with buttons for landing gear etc as virtual buttons not hotkeys or keyboard shortcuts.

Just been playing it again. It is awesome. I took a mission to find some tea, but been to three starbases and can't find any. more youtubing now I think to figure it out.

Im only using an xbox pad, i don't have a stick.
so
if you want to "cheat" (note the inverted commas, no judgement here) https://inara.cz you plug in where you are and what you want and it will give you some ideas.

OR alternatively do small delivery missions for now and scope out a few areas with good supplies and demands in advance. this part is harder in VR. back in the older games i used to have a note pad and spreadsheet on hand but i dont do that really in vr - well not as much anyway

Soldato
What control inputs are people generally using with this ?
CH Products Fighterstick and Pro Throttle, with the three left buttons mapped to modifiers, for seven times the 36 basic switch controls... I don't actually use every control option, but 250 odd controls is more than enough for everything I need to do in-game.

Soldato
so
if you want to "cheat" (note the inverted commas, no judgement here) https://inara.cz you plug in where you are and what you want and it will give you some ideas.

OR alternatively do small delivery missions for now and scope out a few areas with good supplies and demands in advance. this part is harder in VR. back in the older games i used to have a note pad and spreadsheet on hand but i dont do that really in vr - well not as much anyway

haha lies, I bet you have your walls covered with supply chain diagrams for the best systems and products. :p:D

Soldato
Also in conjunction with this HCS Voice packs are giving Kate away free as well, note that you do need a fully registered version of VoiceAttack to use the voice packs though but to be honest VoiceAttack, HCS Voice packs Singularity and VR Elite were made for each other especially with a selection of voicepacks in different crew positions (Brent Spiner (Vega) as Science Officer :D).

Free offer ends 26th

Associate

Absolutely this, played 200 hours on mouse and keyboard, this week got a x52 pro, voice attack and hcs Verity,
Feels like a new game, cant wait for the g2 for full effect

Associate

Ordered the X52 pro, not too easy to find in stock, got it ordered for £150.

Associate
Ordered the X52 pro, not too easy to find in stock, got it ordered for £150.
You may need to refer to this when it comes.....
When mine came the "i" button was mapped to boost/afterburner but it did nothing when pressed,
Solution,
Control Panel->Devices and Printers-> Right-click X52-> Game controller settings->select X52 and click Preferences->MFD Tab->Remove the tick at clutch mode active->click Ok

Soldato
You may need to refer to this when it comes.....
When mine came the "i" button was mapped to boost/afterburner but it did nothing when pressed,
Solution,
Control Panel->Devices and Printers-> Right-click X52-> Game controller settings->select X52 and click Preferences->MFD Tab->Remove the tick at clutch mode active->click Ok
This is excellent advice :)

Back
Top Bottom