Electric guitar for daughter

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Have a look for used guitars from the better budget brands such as Squier, Yamaha, maybe even Ibanez etc. I bought my Squier Standard from Cash Converters for ~£90 but I saw loads on Facebook Marketplace. They did the Squier Bullet in pink some time ago if you can find one. Beware of left-handed and "mini" 3/4 size models, not much use for a 14 year old unless she's tiny and plays left handed!

Electric guitars are sensitive to setup so it's best to have a local shop replace the strings and set up whatever you get. A badly setup guitar can make it awkward to play and put her off, even on the serious money guitars. For the known brand cheap guitars a lot of the price saving is due some of finer details with setup and just some smoothing of rough edges around the frets that a decent tech could sort.

Soldato
OP
Have a look for used guitars from the better budget brands such as Squier, Yamaha, maybe even Ibanez etc. I bought my Squier Standard from Cash Converters for ~£90 but I saw loads on Facebook Marketplace. They did the Squier Bullet in pink some time ago if you can find one. Beware of left-handed and "mini" 3/4 size models, not much use for a 14 year old unless she's tiny and plays left handed!

Electric guitars are sensitive to setup so it's best to have a local shop replace the strings and set up whatever you get. A badly setup guitar can make it awkward to play and put her off, even on the serious money guitars. For the known brand cheap guitars a lot of the price saving is due some of finer details with setup and just some smoothing of rough edges around the frets that a decent tech could sort.

I want to get her a new one.

Soldato

Why didn't you mentioned that then?

:D

Maybe take a look at your local Facebook marketplace.

Now, thinking way outside of the box...

Are you handy with a spray can/do you know a guitar tech that works cheap?

You can often pick up something like a good condition used Yamaha Pacifica 112 for £100 or so. If colour is the only issue then look on YouTube for instructional videos on painting guitars, but essentially take everything off (including the neck) until just the body is left (make sure to keep all the bits in a box). Spray the body hideous pink and let it cure for a week or two. Get a guitar tech to rebuild it and set it up and your sweet playing pink machine is ready for Christmas.

EDIT

I want to get her a new one.

Oh.

Could always do it anyway with something affordable like: https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_st_20hss_ca_standard_set_2.htm

Soldato
I understand. I want to get her decent electric guitar and amp. Thing is, it must be pink...lol She is 14. I dont want to buy a rubbish guitar.

Then you aint gonna get one for £50. Amp or not. Especially if you want to buy new.

You might luck out with something for about £100 2nd hand.

You should be looking for something like this on ebay and gumtree. https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-...ty-stratocaster-electric-guitar-in-shell-pink

You should also bear in mind that the half decent stuff will retain some resale value and if bought used, retain even more. The **** end is going in a skip when she's finished with it.

Soldato
OP
Then you aint gonna get one for £50. Amp or not. Especially if you want to buy new.

You might luck out with something for about £100 2nd hand.

You should be looking for something like this on ebay and gumtree. https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-...ty-stratocaster-electric-guitar-in-shell-pink

You should also bear in mind that the half decent stuff will retain some resale value and if bought used, retain even more. The **** end is going in a skip when she's finished with it.

I am willing to spend around £250 on the guitar and around £60 on an amp....both new.

Soldato
Daughter says the guitar not pink enough! Lol

I really don't think you're not going to do better than the Yamaha Pacifica linked by @SexyGreyFox fox for your requirements, if it needs to be a really out there 'pink' you're going to struggle outside of more budget equipment which is largely going to be a gamble as to whether it's any good or not.

Soldato
I really don't think you're not going to do better than the Yamaha Pacifica linked by @SexyGreyFox fox for your requirements, if it needs to be a really out there 'pink' you're going to struggle outside of more budget equipment which is largely going to be a gamble as to whether it's any good or not.

Yeah. Shell pink is a pretty standardish colour, although it's only available for the Squier Strat as a special run, there's enough guitars out there that get this colour pink. More shocking pinks are more rare, more expensive paint etc etc.

What about a pink scratchplate? https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...m570.l1313&_nkw=strat+pickguard+pink&_sacat=0

Soldato
I'd go for the squire myself, I like strats and I know they're easy to play and easy to set up and maintain. But the Yamaha is probably the "better" guitar.

Amps are tricky at £60. I can't find one that I'd like for that which has built in effects, which you'd want really.

I've found the champ 20 for £100. You've found the Strat £60 under budget, so you'd still be £20 under in total.

https://www.musicroom.com/product/f...ier.aspx?clid=510&CAWELAID=120075890000278541

Soldato
OP
I'd go for the squire myself, I like strats and I know they're easy to play and easy to set up and maintain. But the Yamaha is probably the "better" guitar.

Amps are tricky at £60. I can't find one that I'd like for that which has built in effects, which you'd want really.

I've found the champ 20 for £100. You've found the Strat £60 under budget, so you'd still be £20 under in total.

https://www.musicroom.com/product/f...ier.aspx?clid=510&CAWELAID=120075890000278541

With the Strat. What does FSR stand for and, i presume its a full sized Elec guitar?

Soldato
OP
Ok, thanks. No Amp that is a bit cheaper? I think a decent basic one would do her for quite some time. What you think?

Also, can you recommend a wall mounting to hold the guitar? She has an Acoustic that she wants to mount on the wall too. She had been going to lessons up to Covid but still practices at home.

Thank you guys for your help. Much appreciated

Pet Northerner
Don
Ok, thanks. No Amp that is a bit cheaper? I think a decent basic one would do her for quite some time. What you think?

Also, can you recommend a wall mounting to hold the guitar? She has an Acoustic that she wants to mount on the wall too. She had been going to lessons up to Covid but still practices at home.

Thank you guys for your help. Much appreciated

no idea if it's been mentioned but have you had a thought about getting her rocksmith for the pc and the USB cable for the electric guitar?

Soldato

What style of music does she like? If she wants to play rock or especially metal then the humbucker equipped Yamaha will be better suited. Or if she prefers the twangy Fender sound then that steers you towards the Squier.

Soldato
OP
What style of music does she like? If she wants to play rock or especially metal then the humbucker equipped Yamaha will be better suited. Or if she prefers the twangy Fender sound then that steers you towards the Squier.

She is a relative beginner. I am just after the best bang for buck and one she will enjoy and learn from and be comfortable with.

Back
Top Bottom