Spec me a new vacuum cleaner, please!

Caporegime
hundred and actually good is probably asking a lot for a hoover.

don't go batteries at that price.

Henry HVR 160-11 Bagged Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner

£99 was 140 from your favourite high street catalogue shop (actually 120 elsewhere)

Rating 4.863194714341236 out of 5
2573 reviews
98%
Recommended this product

for 2573 ratings 4.8 seems pretty high

Associate
After years of bagless hoovers that don't do the job got a Henry Xtra bagged recently.

Does a great job loads of good attachments, the hard floor works really well. There's good reasons why many in the cleaning and building professions use them, mainly cheap and get the job done. British made too.

Caporegime
Bought a Philips animal jet battery style hoover, it's absolutely crap.
It doesn't even hoover up hot chocolate dust.

Need something around £100 that is actually good?

Anyone recommend?

Ok serious answer time. Did you buy the Philips new? If so, send it back.

If it's used, then pull it apart and clean it out. These things always get clogged up and will revert back to their original suckyness with a bloody good clean (which I do on both our Dysons every few months). You can even fling all the plastic bits in the dishwasher.

I swear by Dyson, we've got a big plug in jobbie which I use once a week and it's fantastic, an we have a little battery one which is also pretty damn good.

I bought a VAX once, during vacuuming on day I picked it up by the handle and halfway up to waist height, the handle let go with the thing crashing to the ground and the plastic cracking all over the place. That was the last Vax product I've ever bought.

Soldato
OP
Refurbished Dyson.
Are they reasonable prices?

hundred and actually good is probably asking a lot for a hoover.

don't go batteries at that price.

Henry HVR 160-11 Bagged Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner

£99 was 140 (actually 120 elsewhere)

Rating 4.863194714341236 out of 5
2573 reviews
98%
Recommended this product

for 2573 ratings 4.8 seems pretty high
After years of bagless hoovers that don't do the job got a Henry Xtra bagged recently.

Does a great job loads of good attachments, the hard floor works really well. There's good reasons why many in the cleaning and building professions use them, mainly cheap and get the job done. British made too.
My wife wants only a cordless, i did try and say that maybe we should get a normal one but she is set on cordless...

Caporegime
just tell her straight for 100 notes you are lucky to get a decent hoover, 100 is already like lowest budget basic hoover prices as it is.

never mind trying to go cordless at that budget

Soldato
OP
Ok serious answer time. Did you buy the Philips new? If so, send it back.

If it's used, then pull it apart and clean it out. These things always get clogged up and will revert back to their original suckyness with a bloody good clean (which I do on both our Dysons every few months). You can even fling all the plastic bits in the dishwasher.

I swear by Dyson, we've got a big plug in jobbie which I use once a week and it's fantastic, an we have a little battery one which is also pretty damn good.

I bought a VAX once, during vacuuming on day I picked it up by the handle and halfway up to waist height, the handle let go with the thing crashing to the ground and the plastic cracking all over the place. That was the last Vax product I've ever bought.
Yes it was new but a while ago now, after a good clean it works but only for couple of weeks, if that...
Surely there are ones that work and are designed well enough to not clog at the slightest sight of cheerio?

Soldato
Are they reasonable prices?

My wife wants only a cordless, i did try and say that maybe we should get a normal one but she is set on cordless...
Depends on what you want to vacuum. If it's hard floors, the cordless should be fine. However if you want to vacuum a carpet, I don't think anything within your £100 budget would be good enough.

I'd recommend a refusbished Dyson DC50 / Small ball. They're a bit of a cross between a handheld and a full sized vacuum cleaner.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dyson-DC...267931?hash=item422537fd9b:g:NnAAAOSw0eNdbB-Z

Soldato
Watching with interest.

I'd never buy a Dyson again, the two I've had fell apart. My Vax has lasted for 9 years but now needs replacing.

I'm toying with one of the pod style ones to make cleaning the stairs easier. I have a mix of hard floor and deep pile carpet. :p

Associate
My GF the same about only wanting cordless and bagless but they're the worst suction. Henry Extra cord so long it only needs plugging in once per floor. Better at £100 than my GF'quite new cordless bagless at £300 she's already fed up with.

Associate

Yep got to be a Henry at that price, I also think Screwfix do their own equivalent.

Soldato
My GF the same about only wanting cordless and bagless but they're the worst suction. Henry Extra cord so long it only needs plugging in once per floor. Better at £100 than my GF'quite new cordless bagless at £300 she's already fed up with.
The only bagless vacuums that work are Dysons. The newer models can be a bit flimsy - but you can buy spare parts cheap and easily and they're a doddle to work on.

Caporegime
Yes it was new but a while ago now, after a good clean it works but only for couple of weeks, if that...
Surely there are ones that work and are designed well enough to not clog at the slightest sight of cheerio?

Depends on the usage tbh. If you're in a house with tiled or wooden floors you'll get away with a Toys'R'Us special, but if you live in a house with shag carpet and 14 mountain huskies you'll need something a bit better.

Man of Honour
I got me a vax one that has a 20 meter odd chord - can almost hover the entire house from a single socket. Its an upright animal one and have had it for a good few years now. Its a winner and does the job.

Back
Top Bottom