Power Supply for incoming 3080

Associate
Hi, I have a Palit GamingPro OC 3080 on pre order from OverClockers and it appears that I'm going to need a new PSU. My current PSU is only a 550W and I believe the recommendations are for at least a 750W. I'm also aware that the 3080 has a new power connector or something.

So... has anyone got any recommendations as to what PSU to get? Ideally it will have whatever connector the 3080 will need.

Soldato
Hi, I have a Palit GamingPro OC 3080 on pre order from OverClockers and it appears that I'm going to need a new PSU. My current PSU is only a 550W and I believe the recommendations are for at least a 750W. I'm also aware that the 3080 has a new power connector or something.

So... has anyone got any recommendations as to what PSU to get? Ideally it will have whatever connector the 3080 will need.
Depends on the cpu you're using as well but as a minimum you'd want a 750w-850w good branded gold rated psu to deliver efficient power. Don't cheap out on it ever.

A few brands to look for:

Seasonic - one of the best
EVGA - Very decent psu's for not a huge amount of money
Superflower leadex - a good rated psu
Corsair - Usually very good but from experience have been abit hit and miss for me.

Soldato

So far only the 3080 FE has a new connector, so you won't have to worry about that with your model.

Permabanned
It depends on the 3080. A good quality 750W PSU should be fine. Many people at the moment are going safe and getting 850W so they are all sold out. ( people tend to buy bigger than they need ).
Be careful when you buy a 750W however since some well known makes have a low number spare sockets for PCIe cables and you definitely will need two. ( not a cable that splits in to two, but two seperate cables ).

Permabanned
Any good quality 750W psu will have at least two pcie cables.

Yes but, to name one, an Corsair RM750i only has three sockets for PCIe/CPU cables. If your PC manufacturer has fitted both CPU cables then there is only one socket left for PCIe, which is not enough for a 3080. I mean it's not really a problem because your CPU probably doesn't need two, but it would be kinda stupid to buy a PSU that only has three sockets. In contrast other variations of Corsairs 750W PSU's have five.

Soldato
Yes but, to name one, an Corsair RM750i only has three sockets for PCIe/CPU cables. If your PC manufacturer has fitted both CPU cables then there is only one socket left for PCIe, which is not enough for a 3080. I mean it's not really a problem because your CPU probably doesn't need two, but it would be kinda stupid to buy a PSU that only has three sockets. In contrast other variations of Corsairs 750W PSU's have five.

The Corsair RMi only has 1 x cpu cable. The RMx 750W has 2 x cpu cables, but that unit still has 2 x pcie cables just like the RMi.

Permabanned
The Corsair RMi only has 1 x cpu cable. The RMx 750W has 2 x cpu cables, but that unit still has 2 x pcie cables just like the RMi.

Yes. I know. And Corsair sell the second CPU cable for overclockers who own motherboards that accept the second ( like the Gigabyte Aorus ). My only point here is that if you are going to buy a new 750W power supply makes sure that it has plenty of sockets for the CPU and PCIe. I mean why on earth buy one that you may feel limited with later on?

Soldato
Yes. I know. And Corsair sell the second CPU cable for overclockers who own motherboards that accept the second ( like the Gigabyte Aorus ). My only point here is that if you are going to buy a new 750W power supply makes sure that it has plenty of sockets for the CPU and PCIe. I mean why on earth buy one that you may feel limited with later on?

Why would you need to buy a 2nd cpu cable ? Unless you are doing LN2 overclocking then it is pretty much pointless connecting it. Of course some systems can require an 850W or more, but that is at the ultra high end with overclocking.

The op is running an i5 8600K and an RTX 3080 so a 750W psu is fine.

Permabanned
Why would you need to buy a 2nd cpu cable ? Unless you are doing LN2 overclocking then it is pretty much pointless connecting it. Of course some systems can require an 850W or more, but that is at the ultra high end with overclocking.

The op is running an i5 8600K and an RTX 3080 so a 750W psu is fine.

At the risk of repeating myself for the 10th time, if you are going to buy a 750W PSU then why would you buy one that has three sockets when you can just the same buy one that has five? Anyway I am off, I was trying to help, but clearly you are not going to stop arguing the point.

Soldato
At the risk of repeating myself for the 10th time, if you are going to buy a 750W PSU then why would you buy one that has three sockets when you can just the same buy one that has five? Anyway I am off, I was trying to help, but clearly you are not going to stop arguing the point.

Why would you need 5 x pcie connectors ? What scenario would require that many cables if running a single gpu ? The Palit RTX 3080 that the op has ordered has 2 x 8 pin connectors.

Permabanned
Wh
why would you need 5 x pcie connectors ? What scenario would require that many cables if running a single gpu ? The Palit RTX 3080 that the op has ordered has 2 x 8 pin connectors.

Oh dear God. There aren't five PCIe connectors. There are five sockets. The sockets are used for the CPU and the GPU. Modern boards can use two. GPU's now can use three. Three plus two is five. Now sure what he has now may require less than that but unless he wants to want to buy a new PSU every time something changes, wouldn't it be easier to actually buy a PSU that has more than three? I mean there are plenty of 750W power supplies that do. Now seriously, if you don't get it fine, but stop endless arguing about what is just an opinion. Anyway, say what you like now, I am not coming back to this conversion.

Soldato
Oh dear God. There aren't five PCIe connectors. There are five sockets. The sockets are used for the CPU and the GPU. Modern boards can use two. GPU's now can use three. Three plus two is five. Now sure what he has now may require less than that but unless he wants to want to buy a new PSU every time something changes, wouldn't it be easier to actually buy a PSU that has more than three? I mean there are plenty of 750W power supplies that do. Now seriously, if you don't get it fine, but stop endless arguing about what is just an opinion. Anyway, say what you like now, I am not coming back to this conversion.

Yes modern boards can use two cpu cables, but that would only be needed for LN2 overclocking or if you are running a HEDT cpu like a 3990X. A single 8 pin cpu cable can provide 384W. You are not geting close to that on most setups.

As for the gpu the op is buying a 3080 that has 2 x 8 pin connectors. There are some 3080 cards that have 3 x 8 pin but it will still run on a 750W unit. An 8 pin pcie can provide 150W and the pcie slot can provide 75W. So running two pcie cables and using one of the daisy chain connectors will still work.

The SuperFower Leadex III 750W has 6 x 6 + 2 pcie connectors and 2 x EPS connectors if that puts your mind at rest.

Soldato
My AX860 just went bang and it has loads of connections on it so really surprised when I looked at a new PSU that they have far fewer sockets now.

Some with only three shared pcie/CPU sockets.

My FTW3 3080 has three 8 pin PCIE that I want to supply separately so chose a PSU with five compatible sockets Vs three.

Back
Top Bottom