Tell me about the BMW X1

Associate
After having Tiguan offers and looking around, BMW have come back fairly competitive for a BMW X1 factory new to order, MSport 2L petrol Automatic with a few extras to keep me under the 40k barrier.

As ive not been in one i cant really say much about it, but is there something im missing?

Im either being ripped off or its a great value car.... im no expert of vehicles, but this looks nice and has a lot of gadgets for me to use.

I believe in size its the same as the Tiguan so thats a plus from the get go.

Any tips appreciated.

Man of Honour
It's so far from being a 40k car it's almost hilarious.

Spend less than half that on one a couple of years old or get an X3 instead. 40k on an X1 is crazy money for what it is

The X3 is the Tiguan rival. The X1 is a Mini Countryman that looks more grown up (they are the same car underneath).

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
This opinion is based on brief experience and therefore isnt worth much, but i have a previous generation X3 (F25) and recently had a hire X1 for the day.
While brand new and fresh, it feels like a small cheap car to me. I was glad to have it for the day, but that is where this car would stay for me, not one I'd want as anything other than a hire. If it feels way below a previous X3 then I'd think the gap between it and a new X3 would be quite wide.

Soldato
After having Tiguan offers and looking around, BMW have come back fairly competitive for a BMW X1 factory new to order, MSport 2L petrol Automatic with a few extras to keep me under the 40k barrier.

As ive not been in one i cant really say much about it, but is there something im missing?

Im either being ripped off or its a great value car.... im no expert of vehicles, but this looks nice and has a lot of gadgets for me to use.

I believe in size its the same as the Tiguan so thats a plus from the get go.

Any tips appreciated.
You can get a 2L Petrol M Sport X3 for < £40k, so why not get one of those? I guess given the list price is >£40k you'd still get stung with the additional tax, if that is a factor.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the tips, yeah ive been doing research on it and think ive been going down the wrong path with it.. basically size is an issue and with limited knowledge of the X1, I relied on the dealer who said it was the same as a Tiguan, but im assuming its more T-Roc.

I shall take a look at X3s then, but probably now pushed back to the Tiguan as id get more for my 40k there I believe.

Appreciate it, im blind when looking at cars and can be easily fooled :(

Ill still view it after lockdown, i need to test my 3 kids in the back basically.. so ill be goign around dealers no doubt for a while!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
This is a serious budget for a car and you could get something really very nice if you get a 3-6 month old car instead.

Associate
My parents have a X1 with the 3 cylinder engine, do not like the look of the engine bay at all. Way too many plastics and sounds rubbish on the move, the inside feels lot smaller than my MPS, the ICE and dash is nice for "BMW" standard I suppose and the boot space is decent and it has a button to auto shut.
My overall overview, not big fan of it and probably recommend something else for the money.

Associate
OP
This is a serious budget for a car and you could get something really very nice if you get a 3-6 month old car instead.

Ive not got 40k btw, i can get 12k for mine and then it will be on finance. But the numbers for the X1 monthly come inside my budget. Im not sure if I can get that from a used car, I thought all these deals relied on getting new?

Soldato
Ive not got 40k btw, i can get 12k for mine and then it will be on finance. But the numbers for the X1 monthly come inside my budget. Im not sure if I can get that from a used car, I thought all these deals relied on getting new?
But it's still £40k, however you skin it. Finance deals are better on new, yeah - but you could get an X3 for £40k brand new. I wouldn't drop £40k on an X1.

Man of Honour

You're paying for the depreciation some how, just because the headline rate is better doesn't mean the total cost of ownership isn't materially higher.

Associate
OP
If im getting this right, if I find a decent used X3, that was say £50,000 brand new... I take it I am still in the upper tax bracket with it?

I suppose I just need to see them in the flesh. It all boils down to size.. leg space in the front for the Mrs and then big enough seats (width) and then leg room in the back for the kids. The X1 has the boot space that works for me, it all boils down to how big the cabin is.

Soldato
have you considered xc40 too, if Tiguan, X1/3 are on the menu, dynamics may not be as good but the styling and interior, on my neighbours, look a king.

Soldato
No idea about the latest one but first gen X1 is the longest I've ever kept a car, a little over 7 years in total. Was good all round car. Proper hydraulic steering too back then. Only things I didn't like were the staggered wheels and it had a bit of a shudder if not using enough revs, usually sensed when pulling away up hill. It never got worse and just lived with it, an occasional annoyance. Ride was a bit harsh but it had 18's and the rear tyres were 255, i'd only want 17's on a similar car again. All SUV's look **** so smaller wheels better :)(IMO), for a slightly better ride. Last diesel I'll ever own.
I'd rather get Mazda CX-30 or CX-5 personally now, or even the Rav4 when the plug-in is released with a 40+mile EV range

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheers all, lots to chew on.

I didnt realise about the Volvo, but the XC40 looks nice. Managed to spec one up at 39995 which is handy!

Will see if my local dealer can sort a price out

I like new for the warranty, ive had so many problems spending money on used that ive lost faith.

Man of Honour
I like new for the warranty, ive had so many problems spending money on used that ive lost faith.

You still get the warranty on a 3 month old car.

I bought a 1 year old BMW for half it's list price new 4 years ago and I've had warranty on it ever since.

You seem very focused on getting under 40k for the tax saving, you do realise you're still buying a £40,000 car right? You are going to lose thousands and thousands of pounds - which is fine for many as a price worth paying but to be so uninterested in this on the one hand whilst being so focused on saving 300 quid a year in road tax on the other seems a bit strange to me.

Associate
OP
You still get the warranty on a 3 month old car.

I bought a 1 year old BMW for half it's list price new 4 years ago and I've had warranty on it ever since.

You seem very focused on getting under 40k for the tax saving, you do realise you're still buying a £40,000 car right? You are going to lose thousands and thousands of pounds - which is fine for many as a price worth paying but to be so uninterested in this on the one hand whilst being so focused on saving 300 quid a year in road tax on the other seems a bit strange to me.

Yeah i see where you are coming from, maybe if i could find the exact spec i was after, but its hard to do that locally and have it come in sub 40k.

I find many have extras that i wouldnt touch, like roof racks or tow bars, that add to the cars initial price but have little value to me if that makes sense.

It seems easier to just spec up what id like and go with that. I do look at new used cars but never find anything that matches.

Back
Top Bottom